What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

just like buses

Poibug

Registered
For aeons you never heard of any Robo-Wars in the uk now,just like buses two come along at once!

As was discussed in another thread,I was the one who got the Robo-wars off fleabay on Sunday.
For those that don't know,this has been on my wants list for a few years now,and did not think I would ever source one in the UK.After asking MANY people,there just didn't seem to be one in the UK-other than the one JMP imported in the other day from Germany.

so, I was VERY VERY happy when Nick phoned me to say there was one on ebay @£300 with a B.I.N for £600.So to save being unlucky and someone else getting it in the minutes it would take to boot up,I asked him to hit buy it now.

At that stage all I knew it was in Reading,it worked,and there was bad wear,especially near the flippers.Like I care-it was a Robo-wars,and I just bought it(well strictly speaking Nick did).

After I was sent the link,the main bits I saw were-
robo full.jpg

I picked it up first thing next day(Monday)-never even plugged it in there,as they had moved it to the garage to make laoding easier,which me and the owners wife did,and off I went back for the approx 3 3/4hours journey back to North Wales and then it was temporarily set up in the dining room.

I checked fuses,as usual,and only two were wrong,so they get changed,did a quick visual safety check and turned it on and things were pretty good.

It started a game,all switches bar two scored,a few feature lamps were out but that was it.
Apart from the GI,not ONE GI light worked.Probably just as well,as this thing was like a lady of the night who has been doing her job for 35 years-it was VERY dirty and well worked out but,it was a Robo-war - more importantly MY Robo-war.

So I spent Monday eve,and today(tuesday),fixing the GI-EVERY lamp had blown,removed every star post and plastic and cleaned them(luckily I have loads of spare clear star posts so just swapped them out for pre-cleaned ones I already had.tehn replaced the feature lamps that were not working.Replaced every rubber-thankfully I always keep stock of white rubbers:rofl:and just had enough.
Deburred the worn bits on the flipper mechs,cleaned up the rest of the cab-man that was uber dirty

DIRTY.jpg

But.to be fair it has come out pretty good,after just a day and a bit work.

TBH only a few jobs to really do-

clean legs,more in depth clean of cab exterior,replacing missing translite trim,maybe replace translite,remove squashed up bent over metal on shoot rod(seems to be normal for Gottleib games-weird),then relpace shooter soring,fit missing drop target decals,and,TRY and get the popers working better - man,as usual,they are being a major PITA to work right.Want them uber snappy like my MGOW ones.IIRC I replaced resistor and capacitor values to make them more snappy so will have to do that.
Other than that just need to set up freeplay,tho may use Jim aka mypinballs board to do that.
Oh yeah,and get the playfield touched up by someone :eek:

the mini Gottlieb room will soon be a system 80b room with Genesis,TX and Robo War-or should I just say a JT room?Even the temp line-up in dining room is all JT;)WP_20140819_005.jpg

To be fair,despite all my rambling there is a lesson to learn from this,and it is the same as when I wanted a BH,but spent 18+ months looking.
If ya REALLY want a pin,but can't find one,tell as many pin heads as ya can.
I got BH cos a few pin heads told me of an addams on fleabay that had a picture of a BH in the background-cos of that info I got it.
I have told many people over the last couple of years I wanted a Robo War.Thankfully a pinhead,whom I only first met last month,remembered I wanted a Robo-War so told Nick to inform me of that one on fleabay-I got it.

Pin-heads rock!!!!!!
full4.jpg

Last edited:
Great news and really pleased that your mates pulled through for you. Top marks for @mufcmufc for pulling the trigger and buying it for you. :)

It is also refreshing to hear a storey about a grail pin that isn't massively expensive, very pleased you got it.

Result Chris.
Plus we have someone local who can look and sort the wear on the playfield for you.
So all good.
Stoked for you buddy.

Nice one Chris, glad it hasn't taken long to get sorted. Mine has a fair way to go yet.....

I've got a decent shooter rod if you need it. Also my touched up playfield if you want to consider it further down the line.

Isn't this the best sounding Gott 80B game ever? :)

Congratulations Chris! It's great to see yet another cool Gottlieb game into the hands of the collectors that will appreciate them! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Good work chris
Hope one day I find my one , although don't think there is even one " al's garage band " on these shores :(

Paul's 50's always charge top dollar but that price was €6000 not €5000... better get your eyes checked Will...

Like any Grail pin you have to have your own "top price"

Even if a mint Robo was on ebay uk @£2k I would not have paid that.We all have to decide our limits-whether they are financial constraints,or they are "it is only worth xxx to me constraints"
I am just glad that people,not only me,are able to get there own very special big boys toys now and again:)

Tho whenever it happens you are then thus screwed either monetary wise,or space wise,or both,due to said purchase:eek:

Back
Top Bottom