What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just had a bit of a tingle

Doug Smith

Registered
Hi Folk,

Leaning over one pin to get into another and I got a bit of a tingle. Not a jolt, just a tickle.

Metered between the metalwork of the two pins and I've got just over 100v AC

Any clues for the likely cause?

Cheers,

Doug.

If its a fairly modern game (1980s onwards) check all the side rail and leg brading is intact and actually connected to the ground. Also check that the ground wire from the mains lead is connected secure. I had this issue on a game a few weeks ago I repaired (Data east star wars) and just ended up running all new ground wires to leg plates, side rails and coin door - then connected them to the main incoming ground. This cured the problem.

One machine has a bad earth. All the external metal parts should be connected via braided and other wires to the earth pin in the 240v plug.

You can test for this continuity using a multi meter

I had this problem once too. I assumed that it was my old Paragon. It turned out to be a defective earth in the 240v wall socket.

Fairly modern. Getaway to Judge Dredd gave a tingle, with the Getaway off.

I'm pointing the finger at Dredd, looks guilty to me. I'll check earth continuity on that.

How well do line filters last? What sort of things happen if/when they fail?

I get RCD tripping fairly often when I switch on BoP (t'other side of getaway, sharing a double socket).
The chap who built the barn has novel and interesting approaches to many DIY activities.

Had this once on a machine and it was the earth braid which goes round the cabinet , one section was not connected ,it was cut off due to the playfield snagging it . So after reconnecting it all was good ! . Do do a continuity test on the earth wires .

Reactions: DRD
Thanks for the advice, it was most helpful.

I tested continuity to earth - lockdown bar to earth pin.
All pins tested OK - some resistance, but only an ohm or so.

There is an odd setup here, along the wall,

There is one double socket which is spurred directly off the fuse box (which happens to be a recycled 3 phase box.... lovely)

BoP and Getaway are plugged into this.

The rest of the sockets are in a standard ring main affair.
First double socket has Judge Dredd and Dr Who plugged in.

Next double socket has Star Trek and a chest freezer.
Further on is the arcade cabinet and 2 group espresso machine.

I was getting continuity from earth pin to Judge Dredd side rails & lockdown bar.
I was getting continuity from BoP lockdown bar to Getaway Lockdown bar.
I wasn't getting continuity from Getaway to Dredd, tested 60ish Volts AC

So, suspecting the socket, I checked dredd to DrWho - no continuity, 60ish Volts AC
I did get continuity from Getaway to DrWho - no potential between them.
Swapping plugs in the Dredd/DrWho socket made no difference.

So I tried a different kettle lead in Judge Dredd and found earth continuity all round, no voltage.

It's a bit odd that I could test no resistance to the earth pin on the plug of judge dredd. It can't have been engaging with the wall socket properly.

I've thrown that lead away.

Cheers, and thanks for the suggestions.

Doug.

Back
Top Bottom