What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jukebox help

Spandangler

Site Supporter
Hey gang
I’m appealing to the jukebox gurus here as I know there are a couple
I’ve reached out on Facebook groups and attracted a lunatic who I had to block🤪.
I’ve tried Jamie from coin op king.
Basically I have Rowe R89 “night rider” jukebox and the selector button pad has failed. It’s kinda essential assuming you want to listen to songs.
Does anyone have one in their spare trousers?
It seems crazy to mothball this awesome jukebox over something which should be so easy to repair.

it’s basically a pressure pad board and any attempt to repair breaks all the tracks I’m told.

or any of you board gurus fancy taking it on 😬

help me Obi wan kenobis you're my only hope
7DDAB115-216B-45C9-BF37-5FE44A801DCF.png
09B3EBB9-9334-493B-9A0F-2C7779584187.png
576A91A6-4EE7-4AE2-AAEC-61C750DFC9CD.jpeg

No I don’t mate. Even Alan Hood who seems to be the leading authority on ROWE AMI boxes is out of ideas.
Jamie from coin op king has explored having them remade but would need to order 100 minimum and that’s probably quadruple the amount of R89’s in the country. It’s so frustrating

a pressure pad isn’t that complicated. surely you could make or adapt something? what does it look like on the front panel, how may switch points?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a pressure pad isn’t that complicated. surely you could make or adapt something? what does it look like on the front panel, how may switch points?

It’s looks simple as can be but it’s not something I have the knowledge to produce. The keypad just has numbers 0-9 and reset and popular they have actuators that push on that white pad pictured above.

do you have schematic? looks like it’s a simple circuit. 12 switches feeding the connector with one common wire ? so maybe could make something with proper slim profile push button switches.

do you have schematic? looks like it’s a simple circuit. 12 switches feeding the connector with one common wire ? so maybe could make something with proper slim profile push button switches.

That’s what I’m thinking too (well someone cleverer than me😬) I don’t have a schematic but I could probably get one as long as it appears in the manual.

I made them in the past out of vero board and the same button sound leisure used to use.

You end up having to make a few little bits but hey ho! It will get you working.

Interesting @Pick Holder. I’d be keen to hear how you did this.
Sorry - have no photos of this - probably did it well over a decade ago.

I think the switches have a common ground so it is not difficult to wire. In fact the sound leisure keypad does.

The button on the bottom right I used for the POPULAR button - this did not have a common ground so I just added a jumper.

Took longer to make the physical conversion plate.

Looked okay in the end!

Perhaps you could get @Colywobbles to make up a plate for you if you are good at measuring.

Thanks mate. Good to know it’s not dead in the water. I’ve never ever used the popular button anyway.
im struggling to visualise how the original keypad interacts with the new smaller board though

Thanks mate. Good to know it’s not dead in the water. I’ve never ever used the popular button anyway.
im struggling to visualise how the original keypad interacts with the new smaller board though
You throw the old one away.

Also you need the POP button when you program the jukebox.

I take it you have changed the battery in the main board - and got rid of the foam that breaks down.

Ah ok, so you use the keypad from the new one as well?
I bought the juke from Jamie at coin op king. I haven’t touched the boards. And that foam has long since perished all over my floor 🤣.
My keypad still works as long as you’re applying pressure to the connector but it’s obviously on it’s last legs.

Oh - by the way - do not attempt to use small tactile switches on the original board - the original overlay will go thru in about a week as its not that strong.

The best way to describe the existing keyboard is like an old sinclair zx81 or a speak n spell.

Very easy circuit.

If you are applying pressure at the connector it could be a dry joint. Get a sharp knife and CAREFULLY cut the plastic away over the solder connections and resolder.

GET RID OF THE FOAM
CHANGE THE BATTERY !!!!!!
If the battery leaks on that board you are in the poop.

Do you have any spare ones to sell Jim? I would like to have a backup board for when mine wears out

Yes i can assemble one for you aswell no problem. I have 5 pcbs to start with so 4 spare. Working out the costs at the mo for them. Hoping to keep them fairly cheap.

Cani just say what an absolute LEGEND @myPinballs is.
He calls me up and says he’s literally not sleeping at night with visions of me sat next to a mute jukebox 🤣🤣.
I sent him a photo of the key pad and within an hour he’s designed a board.
People like Jim keep the faith alive in humanity.
Thankyou so much Jim, I owe you big time.

All done and ready for testing

IMG_8271.JPGIMG_8272.JPG

Some spacers made to for the change in thickness of the pcb with buttons

IMG_8274.JPGIMG_8275.JPG

Cost for anyone else wanting one is going to be £40 plus vat and shipping.

@myPinballs - Jim - can you do a link for these from your website as I will share them on jukebox forums I go on. Also call James Bird and flog him a load!

Well done for making a good alternative which will long term be easier to repair and keep these jukes going.

@myPinballs - Jim - can you do a link for these from your website as I will share them on jukebox forums I go on. Also call James Bird and flog him a load!

Well done for making a good alternative which will long term be easier to repair and keep these jukes going.

Sure no problem, i will add a proper entry on my site store for it once its been tested and approved by @Spandangler . Maybe a video fo it being used to!

For now (feel free to share) here is a post awith the above pics of it on my facebook work page

Cheers and thanks :)

Just to put final closure on this.
I finally got the garage above ten degrees today and managed to fire up the jukebox and test the board.
It works flawlessly.
I can’t thank Jim enough for bailing me out on this. Hopefully it will save many more R89’s from the scrap heap.
Thanks Jimbo.

Just to put final closure on this.
I finally got the garage above ten degrees today and managed to fire up the jukebox and test the board.
It works flawlessly.
I can’t thank Jim enough for bailing me out on this. Hopefully it will save many more R89’s from the scrap heap.
Thanks Jimbo.
Excellent :) first job for 2021, assemble more of these :) 👍🏻

Back
Top Bottom