What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Judge dredd: spits out too many balls:

View attachment 88353
Can anyone help me out here, just got a lovely looking judge machine played for a few hours without issue but now it’s intermittently spitting out two balls rather than the expected one. I expect there is a switch or something making it think it hasn’t put the ball out. Any ideas? Thanks
Yes.Very common on these to have ball trough switch issues.

In the first instance it will be worth reseating the connectors to the trough opto boards - it could just be a flaky connection.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

If no joy with connectors check with switch edge test to see the balls registering in the trough, I had to buy new trough opto boards for my popeye £69 and easy to change.

Presumably there is a shooter lane switch that gets held down by a ball that is ready to fire? If that switch isn't registering consistently the game will think a ball hasn't made it properly out of the trough.

It’ll be the through jam opto. The one that is stacked above the others on the ball exit chute.

I've tried cleaning the switch with compressed air/a brush, doesn't seem to be much wrong with the shooter lane switch, reckon it probably is the trough opto as you're saying. It's all screwed in on either side with two circuit boards. Not sure on how to replace/change, but will give it a bit more time when I can to repair. Cheers all. Will let you know how it goes.

Okay, done a little diagnostics and it seems to be Opto 6 on the trough as all other register when I put a cotton bud in the way, other than opto 6: the one which recognises if it's been spat out of the trough. Looks like its had some repair before as there are different coloured LED's for a few of the opto's in the trough. Sounds like it could be a transistor or maybe the LED isn't going off or the Opto recognition on the other side I guess. What's next, can I get new resistors, who's the person to talk to for Chip board repair.. I'm thinking maybe I could bring the boards down to SWL next Friday if Keith is there..

Well, I'd certainly have a go, I have a newly boxed soldering iron for such an occasion, but I've never used one before. I'm also not quite sure how to work out exactly which bit needs fixing: the Led/the Opto chipboard side. Or the Resistor, how to work out which one it is, or where to get a resistor from.

I know very little about circuit boards.

Well, I'd certainly have a go, I have a newly boxed soldering iron for such an occasion, but I've never used one before. I'm also not quite sure how to work out exactly which bit needs fixing: the Led/the Opto chipboard side. Or the Resistor, how to work out which one it is, or where to get a resistor from.

I know very little about circuit boards.

Where are you based there maybe someone local that would be kind enough to sort it for u. If you pay one of the pros to come out and sort it it will prob cost more than a new board by the time you pay for their time etc

I'm in Trowbridge near Bath, I've sent a gently pleading emailed to a T.Fitzgerald nearby in Warminster as I know he's worked on a JD before, as well as having done up some lovely looking machines. He's my first choice atm, don't know many others that close.

I'm in Trowbridge near Bath, I've sent a gently pleading emailed to a T.Fitzgerald nearby in Warminster as I know he's worked on a JD before, as well as having done up some lovely looking machines. He's my first choice atm, don't know many others that close.

There is also Neil Fellender he’s in Weston (which I think isn’t to far from you my geography is **** lol). His rates are good if you go down that route had him out a couple times for faults I couldn’t suss

Get the new board set £69 then if you feel like it repair your old ones then you have a spare. New version sold by pinballmania/pinbits is a much nicer board set.

Thanks for all your help, yes Neil's about an hour and a bit away, (Crappy roads between here and Weston) I'll drop him an email and ask him for a quote as well... He was working on it Yesterday fixing an opto for Deadworld as only lived round the corner from the seller! :)

Thats the one I ordered :) Cheers for all your help, reckon I'll be able to fit that without fuss, already taken out half of it, then as/when I'll have a look at repairing the old one.

Get the new board set £69 then if you feel like it repair your old ones then you have a spare. New version sold by pinballmania/pinbits is a much nicer board set.
Agree with this. Neil is great, have used him a few times but mainly on a combination of jobs to justify the call out expense. It will be more than that Homepin board set, which sounds like it's an upgrade anyway.

EDIT: Whoops I see you've already ordered it.

Last edited:

How bad does this look to you? I know it’s bad, just I’m not sure how bad. It’s not even turning on now, I only had two hours of playing it! Feeling pretty miserable.

There is some corrosion there for sure. Hard to see the legs above the chips, but U18, U19 and particularly U20 look to be affected, along with the resistors below the middle battery. Battery damage on the MPU can cause a multitude of problems.

Those batteries look ancient, I assume you have never changed them? Get the board out of the machine, take the batteries out and speak to someone on here about rescuing the board if you don't feel like you're up to it. @pinballmania or @myPinballs would be able to sort it.

Don't panic though, as corrosion goes I don't think that's too bad, but I'm not an expert.

Those batteries are new, I put them in yesterday, (they look dated as were from lidl!) it had some Panasonic’s in it, the guy I bought it off who delivered it on Saturday said he changed them every year and had a set of Panasonic’s in it which when I had them out didn’t seem liked they’d leaked but were light. The machine isn’t even turning on now at all, flip the switch and nothing. Could that be this? Maybe more likely a fuse? I did look at the batteries when I bought it, though not closely enough.

When you power it on, are any LEDs on any of the boards in the backbox illuminated? (some stay on, some blink at regular intervals)

Time to check fuses then. Start with the obvious one, the 13A one in the plug. Then check the internal mains fuse. I'm rapidly getting out of my depth with helping I'm afraid, hopefully someone more learned will be along shortly.

Back
Top Bottom