What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For Sale Judge Dredd £3,250

Ross Hamilton

Site Supporter
Hi everyone - after much consideration I've decided to offer up my JD for sale. I've had this for many years and I really love it, *but* the Deadworld ring stopped spinning over a year ago so I stopped playing it and I still haven't got around to fixing it, which tells me that it is time to for it go!

Also, someone has offered me a gorgeous Pianola that would fit in this spot in my dining room, but I need to release both some cash and space :)

There are lots of pics of it here in this Google Photos gallery, taken over the years: https://goo.gl/photos/zMgsCGVFFtLLNLFJ7 - see if you can spot some well known faces. It featured in a lot of the early Christmas Cracker competitions when they were held here.

It has various minor issues, but has generally been a great machine. Off the top of my head there's:
  1. The obvious Deadworld ring problem, which I suspect will be a simple fix related to its optos. Included is a spare Deadworld motor.
  2. The eagle topper is smashed into a half dozen pieces - I still have most of them. I did once stick it all back together and it looked quite good, but it since got broken again. I'm fairly sure there are some bits missing now.
  3. There metal lane which feeds onto the Deadworld ring doesn't line up perfectly, I bodged it up with a bit cardboard held on by bright yellow gaffer tape many years ago and that still does the trick. I suspect that a small part of the metal rail is missing.
  4. The artwork on the sides is quite faded.
  5. I think that one of the leg bolt plates is loose inside the cabinet, although we might have fixed that last time it was moved.
On the positive side, it has the Deadworld ring mod. It's mostly LED lit, and I added various spotlights and a light strip at the back because to my mind this is a game that benefits from lots of light. It has a few new repro plastics here and there too. I've owned it for about 15 years I think and it has been very reliable through that time.

If there's not much interest I'll assume that's because people are worried about the Deadworld ring not spinning, so I'll get that fixed and list it again, but I will also increase the price if I have to go down that route.

Attachments

• 20240319_082805.jpg
    20240319_082805.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 85
Have I pitched the price too high? I see another of Facebook listed at £5K, with a good topper and colourDMD...
Is the Deadworld motor fault putting people off? Is it just the lack of decent pictures?

Should be an easy enough fix on the motor, maybe I'll get that sorted and post a load of better quality pictures.

Have I pitched the price too high? I see another of Facebook listed at £5K, with a good topper and colourDMD...
Is the Deadworld motor fault putting people off? Is it just the lack of decent pictures?

Should be an easy enough fix on the motor, maybe I'll get that sorted and post a load of better quality pictures.

I'm thinking that the 2x that have been listed recently at 2.5K might be the contributing factor.

Could be! I only spotted one though, and it sold instantly, which told me that it was under-priced. I wouldn't let mine go for that little, it's worth more than that parted out.

Could be! I only spotted one though, and it sold instantly, which told me that it was under-priced. I wouldn't let mine go for that little, it's worth more than that parted out.
There was one on here that you mentioned which went pronto and around the same time another one a FB group. It had no topper.
It looks like a cool pin all in all artwork and features. GLWS

I normally wouldn’t comment on price, but since you asked - here are the results of a search of this forum for JD:

IMG_0746.jpeg

So the last four that sold on here were advertised for £2.5k, £2.75k, £2.5k and £2.4k - and from a quick glance all were fully working, most came with the topper, one had been redecalled etc.

Instant sale doesn't always mean under-priced, it could mean it was priced exactly right, or someone took an offer acceptable to them or sometimes overpriced but someone really wanted one!

I doubt you'd get > £1,500 for those, unfortunately :(

I wasn't really that serious - I only need £500 to buy the pianola ... but I also need to make space for it. Those old games aren't in the house though, so although £1,500 would be more than enough it wouldn't solve my space problem, and I'm buggered if I'm lugging JD up to my games room again just to clear the corner of the dining room! Bad Cats isn't really mine to sell either, it belongs to my wife's uncle, although I think he'd give it to me if I asked - I've looked after it for 10-15 years now!

Maybe I'll just fix JD and get the love back for it again, that's what has happened every other time I've considered selling it. It's a fantastic game when it's working correctly.

Should be an easy enough fix
Whenever I see this I wonder why the seller hasn't fixed it themselves.

Like you say, fixing any issues will make it more appealing.

I bodged it up with a bit cardboard held on by bright yellow gaffer tape

we might have fixed that last time it was moved.

These comments may also put a few people off. Fair play for being honest though, as all sellers should be.

buying machines with known faults is a massive turn off personally.

Whilst it should be an easy fix.... what if its not.

replacing some plastics or decals etc is one thing, but when it comes to non working mechs or electrical faults... hard pass unless the price is a give away.

Fair play for being honest though, as all sellers should be.

I'm the kind who buys games just to play them, warts and all, hence living with long-standing problems rather than spending a lot of time on repairs. People who've visited here know that (well over a hundred, I would guess, from the years that we ran Christmas Cracker competitions), so I thought it would let me be lazy about pictures and descriptions :) This JD, in particular, was always there and so has been played on by a lot of the "great and the good" of the community. I'm fairly sure that the motor problem is opto-related, and also fairly sure that if I hunt around I have some spare optos ... but I always have so many projects on the go that there are always some that I don't get around to finishing, with this fix being one of those. If you look back in the forums you'll see that I end up giving them away from time to time, when I decide I need the space!

Back
Top Bottom