What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JP2 the pin

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
Didn't they release Led Zeppelin The Pin™? Sorry my mistake, that was the Pro.
I know LZ is a marmite game but I've been playing it on location and I actually think it's quite good fun! It might not be packed with toys but I genuinely enjoy it. That may also be because I think Electric Magic is one of the worst toys in all of pinball. You know what I don't want in front of ramps? A giant, immovable and solid spinner that is so finnicky to hit...

I know LZ is a marmite game but I've been playing it on location and I actually think it's quite good fun! It might not be packed with toys but I genuinely enjoy it.
I'm sure I'd like it too, just a bit of fun. It does look like a phoned in, lazy effort though. I'd be more forgiving if that upper right flipper shot went somewhere other than a dead end.

I think this looks great. I wanted to play the star wars pin, but this more so. Don't know any players who bought one though. As ppl have said $4600 translates to £3385. But I imagine it would be more like £4500-£5000 after shipping/tax. Worth considering if spending anything over 3k on a second hand 90's Bally/Williams. Jump shot looks good, Mech looks cool, 3 drop targets & modes with 3 multiballs? Yes the screen sucks, but its not like you watch it much when you're playing anyway. Only thing I can see against it is that the lights on the playfield don't look like they spell out lots of modes/depth.. but would need to know more.

know-more.gif

What is this playfield made out of? definitely not the usual multi-layered birch plywood. Looks like MDF to me, and the reason why they're using through playfield screws/bolts rather than woodscrews from underneath, even to hold a standup target in place.

vvvvv.jpg

What is this playfield made out of? definitely not the usual multi-layered birch plywood. Looks like MDF to me, and the reason why they're using through playfield screws/bolts rather than woodscrews from underneath, even to hold a standup target in place.

View attachment 149946

With 10,000 volts running through it I wouldn't go anywhere near that playfield. It also casts serious doubt on the suggestion that it's economical to run in a home environment.

I’m surprised at the positive interest in these, I think they look absolutely dire 😂, high end child’s toy but certainly not a worthy pin. To me they equate to the wobbly unstable snooker tables we all had as kids - they were **** too.

I’m surprised at the positive interest in these, I think they look absolutely dire 😂, high end child’s toy but certainly not a worthy pin. To me they equate to the wobbly unstable snooker tables we all had as kids - they were **** too.

Haha... I remember me and my big brother getting a Snooker table in the mid 80's. We used to pretend to be Alex Higgins. Classic

😕 I didn’t look so close as to see the the playfield screws just the layout. Mdf doesn’t sound great, but Bally used plastic and did it matter much? I would expect for the full size playfield it should feel stable… has anyone got a home pin?

Buying this for me and having it my line up would be a constant reminder of why I should punch myself in the face every single day for not buying the proper Jp pro for a couple of grand more!!! These home pins are pointless if they were £1200 quid yes I can see the point but not at probably 4k plus

I’d imagine the list of people who have played a “The Pin” in the UK extends to @Neil McRae @Pick Holder me and possibly @CHRIS B PINBALLS ??
Chris B has not to my knowledge as I delivered Star Wars 'The Pin' and cracked open the box. There is probably only 2 in the UK as HLD apparantly sold one.

Just to point out - it wont be £3300 - as 18 months ago, the Star wars one was about £4500 if my memory serves me right.

Everyone I know who has played Star Wars the pin enjoys it a lot. In fact in my friends line up (5 or 6 machines) he always asks people which is the game they enjoy the most. Most say Star Wars. The people who have played it are not really pinball people, but they love the assets - the soundtrack - and it is fun.

I upgraded the sound to stereo (as it came with one backbox speaker) and installed a sub - the sound track is actually mixed in stereo! No sub is fitted in the game but the hole is already cut out. Fitted another amplifier as the Stern spike backbox board did not have the sub output configured.

The cab lets it down, as its partical board. Held together with Ikea fixings. Would not take much moving to get chips in it. The edges have been painted black, Stern did not even put on the iron-on ends...... If I owned one, I would put it in a proper pinball cabinet (as the playfield is full size). Must be plenty of Led Zep cabinets around going spare :) I would advise anyone who buys one to strip the cab down, then glue and clamp it. The backbox is slightly shorter in height too. The translite is full size. A bit like the Beatles pinball.

The sling shots fire together (which you do not really notice in a game) and two of the bumpers also fire at the same time. All assemblies use the same parts I would expect to see in a Pro/Premium/LE stern.

As any pinball - do not dismiss it until you play it. I really like the Star Wars 'The Pin' - it is a fun game.

Do not get holding your breath as Costco in the UK do not have plans to stock it due to pre-agreed UK distribution deals with Electrocoin. In the USA Costco have sold Stern's home pinball games.

You will now probably be paying new nearly the cost of a used PRO. But you are getting a different game. Phil wont be putting one of these in Tilt as it does not take money..... The playfield is MDF but it has been fully clearcoated, front and back and in all the cut outs. I would not call it problematic. All the screws are still nice and tight and the only thing that has ever gone 'wrong' on it was one of the opto boards worked loose and went out of line. We are not talking ANY playfield issues. Actually I believe it dimples less than plywood Stern playfields.

I know the majority of you will be shaking your heads whilst reading this. Uttering the famous line 'your pal could of got a SW pro instead for the money he spent' - it is a different game. He does not like the other SW games released by Stern. Oh the 'comic' version looks horrid. The first 'The Pin' is simply classic Star Wars from the 70s films.

Kind of shocked that Stern are marketing this one like they are as Star Wars The Pin almost seemed hated by Stern employees.

I like the look of the JP one, but I do not like the Pro/Premium/LE. I think it is called personal taste.

Anyhow. This post is my opinion and experiences.

PRICE WISE -

Look at this....

Chris B has not to my knowledge as I delivered Star Wars 'The Pin' and cracked open the box. There is probably only 2 in the UK as HLD apparantly sold one.

Just to point out - it wont be £3300 - as 18 months ago, the Star wars one was about £4500 if my memory serves me right.

Everyone I know who has played Star Wars the pin enjoys it a lot. In fact in my friends line up (5 or 6 machines) he always asks people which is the game they enjoy the most. Most say Star Wars. The people who have played it are not really pinball people, but they love the assets - the soundtrack - and it is fun.

I upgraded the sound to stereo (as it came with one backbox speaker) and installed a sub - the sound track is actually mixed in stereo! No sub is fitted in the game but the hole is already cut out. Fitted another amplifier as the Stern spike backbox board did not have the sub output configured.

The cab lets it down, as its partical board. Held together with Ikea fixings. Would not take much moving to get chips in it. The edges have been painted black, Stern did not even put on the iron-on ends...... If I owned one, I would put it in a proper pinball cabinet (as the playfield is full size). Must be plenty of Led Zep cabinets around going spare :) I would advise anyone who buys one to strip the cab down, then glue and clamp it. The backbox is slightly shorter in height too. The translite is full size. A bit like the Beatles pinball.

The sling shots fire together (which you do not really notice in a game) and two of the bumpers also fire at the same time. All assemblies use the same parts I would expect to see in a Pro/Premium/LE stern.

As any pinball - do not dismiss it until you play it. I really like the Star Wars 'The Pin' - it is a fun game.

Do not get holding your breath as Costco in the UK do not have plans to stock it due to pre-agreed UK distribution deals with Electrocoin. In the USA Costco have sold Stern's home pinball games.

You will now probably be paying new nearly the cost of a used PRO. But you are getting a different game. Phil wont be putting one of these in Tilt as it does not take money..... The playfield is MDF but it has been fully clearcoated, front and back and in all the cut outs. I would not call it problematic. All the screws are still nice and tight and the only thing that has ever gone 'wrong' on it was one of the opto boards worked loose and went out of line. We are not talking ANY playfield issues. Actually I believe it dimples less than plywood Stern playfields.

I know the majority of you will be shaking your heads whilst reading this. Uttering the famous line 'your pal could of got a SW pro instead for the money he spent' - it is a different game. He does not like the other SW games released by Stern. Oh the 'comic' version looks horrid. The first 'The Pin' is simply classic Star Wars from the 70s films.

Kind of shocked that Stern are marketing this one like they are as Star Wars The Pin almost seemed hated by Stern employees.

I like the look of the JP one, but I do not like the Pro/Premium/LE. I think it is called personal taste.

Worked out out, it's Mark Silk isn't it? It's no secret, he talks about it on every podcast he's on.

PRICE WISE -

Look at this....

I had never see that SW before, I must say I really like the style of the artwork more than the 'proper' one.

This game isn’t aimed at us so not sure what the negativity is about. The Star Wars game was alot of fun and this looks the same.

I thinks at that price, I'd seek out a second hand data east...
I was initially interested, as an affordable first pin, but at that price, not a chance. Looks like I’ll be looking for something else

I was initially interested, as an affordable first pin, but at that price, not a chance. Looks like I’ll be looking for something else
It may not seem like it, but affordable first (second and third) pins are out there. :)

Back
Top Bottom