What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted JJP Pirates of the Carribbean

Let's also not forget that the fantastic mods that came out, re-engineered back in some of the removed elements. My POTC now has the chest that opens and shuts implemented better than was originally envisaged by JJP themselves, with lit chest interior to indicate the mode. This machine remains one of the most comprehensive and packed games I've ever owned and the idea that it it wouldn't be worth the same price or more as an anaemic specimen like Led Zep LE is so laughable it's derisory.

If only it was as fun to play as Led Zep Pro! [emoji23][emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Must admit it would have to be an exceptionally nice Shadow or JM to warrant paying over 3k for it, but when people start claiming that pins are worth 15k it makes that price seem cheap.

Given the choice between 5 wpc90 titles and 1 JJP I know which I'd rather have.

Which in turn then prompt the temptation to buy a NIB.

I'm in for a Godzilla but the decision has most certainly been helped by seeing the recent cost of Bally Williams machines.

If I could get a Fish Tales and HS2 (just for example) for less than the price of a Stern pro NIB combined then there's a decision to make. However when average WPC titles can be 4.5k I just think it's better for me to save the extra bit and get NIB.

Don't get me wrong, some of the really great shopped/polished/pimped and modded older games that have been restored to new are worth the money imo. However nearly 4k for a players standard 90's machine just makes me shop NIB.
I had one guy wanting 3k for a fish tales and it looked like fire wood. The decals had been slapped ontop of the original artwork and bubbling all over. To top it off the machine was in a filthy state.

Honestly if people want you to part with 3 bags of sand at least spend the time to clean the bloody thing.

1631273317725.png

I don’t think any machine is worth the money that JJP POTC are apparently going for in some parts of the world, but having bought an LE for under £10k NIB I’ve been very happy with the game.

To be honest I wasn’t at all excited about it when it was first revealed, and also wasn’t very impressed after playing the proto at Tilt with the three spinning disks and early code. After playing the production model with more fleshed out code a few times though I completely changed my mind and had to get one.

Its pointless arguing about how ‘good’ a game is because we all know that‘s completely subjective, but I’ve had thirty odd machines over the years and it’s easily in my top three. I’m not generally a fan of widebody games but somehow this one shoots like a standard game just with more real estate to play with. The Black Pearl is one of the few mini playfields I actively enjoy, there’s a huge variety of shots, light show is great, multiballs are great, mini wizard modes are great, and I love the strategy that comes with selecting your character at the start of the game. The game isn’t perfect (don’t like Depp’s face front and centre in particular) and the code still hasn’t been finished, but it’s a great machine with a ton going for it.

it isn’t worth 15k or whatever price they’ve been going for in the States, but for my money it easily holds its own against the best that Stern have put out.

Edit: I think we also have to realise that the value of a game is also completely subjective. I think @Neil McRae is crazy for viewing it as a £7k game, but that’s because I really like it and he doesn’t. That’s fine! I’d personally value Iron Maiden as a £3k game because I can’t stand the music which totally ruins the game for me - I’m sure most on here would think I’m crazy but that’s also fine. We’re all willing to pay more for things we like and less for things we don’t like. It’s natural and there’s no point arguing about it. In the end the market decides what a game is worth and then we each get to decide if we accept that price or pass.

Last edited:
But hey guys keep talking the value of games up!

see AFM, TZ, MM, MB...

TAF and that is the most manufactured modern game in history! (and its crap. There, I said it).

Noted that certain individuals will talk up games they own but attempt to talk down games they don't. Classic example of that was pinball magic.

Eric Meneur Best designer in modern pinball machine in my book. If you want
magic under a play field POTC has it.

Never owned a JJP pirates but was easily the best game I played at Sunshine and at the time the latest games in there were Elvira and JP from stern.
Fast forward almost 2 years and we see LEs now rising slowly to 11k or whatever Godzilla is gonna be!
I guess these price hikes must make pirates easily justifiable to potential buyers!
It’s
Also worth considering the BOM was probably twice that of any Stern inc their so called SLE’s with bits of a couch material to justify them.

I’ve had maiden and JP now and neither came close to Pirates but that said I’m still looking forward to see what Godzilla has to offer with rumours of it having the biggest BOM to date.
We will see.

Edit: I think we also have to realise that the value of a game is also completely subjective. I think @Neil McRae is crazy for viewing it as a £7k game, but that’s because I really like it and he doesn’t. That’s fine! I’d personally value Iron Maiden as a £3k game because I can’t stand the music which totally ruins the game for me - I’m sure most on here would think I’m crazy but that’s also fine. We’re all willing to pay more for things we like and less for things we don’t like. It’s natural and there’s no point arguing about it. In the end the market decides what a game is worth and then we each get to decide if we accept that price or pass.
I accept my preferences aren't other people's and, sometimes, in all aspects of my life, it means I get something I want for what seems like a 'steal' price-wise.

Having played Hurricane on iPad (lots of times), I don't understand the ultra-low price. I guess adult male collectors aren't wild about clowns and don't find shooting the same ramp a bundle of laughs (even if it's a great ramp). Likewise, I don't understand why WH20 is 2k+ more than FT. They've both great, but [shrug] 🤷‍♂️

I accept my preferences aren't other people's and, sometimes, in all aspects of my life, it means I get something I want for what seems like a 'steal' price-wise.

Having played Hurricane on iPad (lots of times), I don't understand the ultra-low price. I guess adult male collectors aren't wild about clowns and don't find shooting the same ramp a bundle of laughs (even if it's a great ramp). Likewise, I don't understand why WH20 is 2k+ more than FT. They've both great, but [shrug] 🤷‍♂️
Might be something to do with the 3 hour wait time for the ball to come through the feris wheels on the real thing

Back
Top Bottom