What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Sterns TWD really that bad?

i look forward to playing it some more, i quite enjoyed the few games i played on it so far. i'm pretty surprised to read Lyman say that it's being abandoned codewise.

edit: i just watched that 45min video, and man that MAT guy is one miserable motherflicker, he really has nothing good to say at all, does he. i finally twigged it was the same guy as was behind the camera in that other GRC video that was posted a couple of weeks ago, with the same apologetic Mr Logic bloke in front of camera talking about ElDorado i think, and then slagging off all the Pinsiders. god i hope i never meet that Mat guy, he really knows how to suck all the energy out of a room.

ball 1 of the game at the end of that video looked like terrific fun to me, i don't don't understand the source of all this guy's bile acid, he must be eating himself up inside with misery and anger at the world

View attachment 15970

MAT (Mike) is a good friend of mine. ;)

He's generally right about most things in pinball. El Dorado IS a cheap turd. The Walking Dead IS a major screw up, even confirmed by Sterns own staff. It wasn't his pin, it was pre-ordered from him/GRC by a customer. MAT, Ray and Mel were just doing the review and to be honest I think they made perfectly valid points.

He doesn't hate on all pins. He's done lots of reviews where they've raved about the game.

And yeah, people on Pinside are deserving of the hate. Full of nobodies who haven't got a life and just like to spend their time moaning on the internet. I fully agree which is why I'm here and not on there lol.

huh. well i didn't enjoy that video and i didn't enjoy this one either, so i won't be watching any more on that channel. everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but i like to surround myself with positive things and positive people. so long MAT (Mike), take it easy now.

Fair enough. But to me honesty = positive. Lies = negative.

Recent reviews of Police Force, Scared Stiff and Star Trek were all positive. Can't just have everyone being all happy 100% of the time.

Different strokes for different folks.

For me the last Star Trek was iffy at best. Hated the baked potatoes and the playfield art. Admitted though I've only played a few games.
Really didn't like the superhero games apart from Spiderman. The one with the KFC toys on it is my least favourite.
AC/DC is the best game in the last decade for me but being honest the art on it is ****ing dreadful. Every time I see the side of the cab I think I've knocked it.
Love Metallica but hate the hand drawn playfield which I know is something I know most people love. I would take decent photoshopped artwork any day but Stern don't seem to emply anyone who knows how to use it. Originally I thought the game was a turd but came to really enjoy it with the last code revision.
I actually love the look of TWD. Code wise though it's shocking. Never had a problem with SDTM drain from the pops but the crossbow mode is lame. Spend another £1500+ to get that feature:confused:

Different strokes for different folks.

For me the last Star Trek was iffy at best. Hated the baked potatoes and the playfield art. Admitted though I've only played a few games.
Really didn't like the superhero games apart from Spiderman. The one with the KFC toys on it is my least favourite.
AC/DC is the best game in the last decade for me but being honest the art on it is ****ing dreadful. Every time I see the side of the cab I think I've knocked it.
Love Metallica but hate the hand drawn playfield which I know is something I know most people love. I would take decent photoshopped artwork any day but Stern don't seem to emply anyone who knows how to use it. Originally I thought the game was a turd but came to really enjoy it with the last code revision.
I actually love the look of TWD. Code wise though it's shocking. Never had a problem with SDTM drain from the pops but the crossbow mode is lame. Spend another £1500+ to get that feature:confused:

The thing is though, code is the easiest fix. Although as we all know there's massive problems with that at the moment 'cos Stern don't give a flying f***. But from a value for money perspective, I'd be pretty peeved if I shelled out 7 grand for TWD. Looking at 2 of the good recent Sterns - Avengers Hulk Edition and Star Trek. Whether you like the title or not you can't deny both of those are loaded with kit and quality workmanship in the design. Then look at TWD. Stern took the money and scammed everyone.

I'd probably have one for a bash around, once the values drop to a more realistic £800 - £1000. Thankfully it isn't as bad as Mustang.

Looking at 2 of the good recent Sterns - Avengers Hulk Edition and Star Trek. Whether you like the title or not you can't deny both of those are loaded with kit and quality workmanship in the design.

i can deny it. Avengers is shoddy and ugly. the ball hangs on Hulk's arm, stuff breaks on it, and it's fairly widely recognised as the worst game in the last 5 years apart from rolling Stones. too early of course for Mustang or Wrestlefailure to make their way into these lists.

which all just goes to prove John's point - different strokes
arnold nodding.gif arnold nodding.gif gif vinegar strokes.gif arnold nodding.gif arnold nodding.gif

i can deny it. Avengers is shoddy and ugly. the ball hangs on Hulk's arm, stuff breaks on it, and it's fairly widely recognised as the worst game in the last 5 years apart from rolling Stones. too early of course for Mustang or Wrestlefailure to make their way into these lists.

which all just goes to prove John's point - different strokes
View attachment 15995 View attachment 15995 View attachment 15996 View attachment 15995 View attachment 15995
Said it before.....imo Stones is a lot of fun :) Enjoyed it *way* more than Acdc when Will had both.

good job every one has different likes and dislikes with regards to their favourite pins:popcorn: otherwise there would only be around 10 pins to choose from;) as I`m lucky enough to own both the star trek l e and a the walking dead le, I can say ( in my opinion only folks ) is that I like them both , star trek lighting is as bright as a nuke going off with fast flow, but I find the walking dead harder to play with more defined shots to go for, the lighting is excellent, ( more like a fuel / air bomb going off ) yes the well walker toy could have been better painted but it`s no worse than the baked potatoes on the star trek, can`t comment on the hulk edition as I have never seen one , let alone played one :thumbs:

And here I am loving Avatar, a game that don't get much love but sound/audio package is epic and it's a tough mother of a game to get to final battle in 1 ball!

And here I am loving Avatar, a game that don't get much love but sound/audio package is epic and it's a tough mother of a game to get to final battle in 1 ball!
I've owned one for a few weeks and the machine is kicking my ass soundly, rarely get a good game going. Think I might have to close the outlanes up a bit.

How would you write code that can handle two balls travelling round that loop during a multiball situation?
You mean to say the latest generation of machines don't use GPS tracking on each ball? Wel no wonder it's hard!

I don't doubt it isn't a simple problem, and as a software engineer I know only too well how "simple" things get complex pretty quick, but I still stand by my original statement. Relatively pinball machines are simple devices. They are not the Large Hadron Collider or Space Shuttle. In the case of TWD it appears from Lyman Sheats's comments that it's nothing to do with complexity, just that Stern aren't giving the problem any resources. That's a business problem, not a technical issue ;)

As for hacking SPIKE... I think the problem with those projects is they were attempting to sell or release on a commercial level. As has been tested in court before owners "Having paid Nintendo a fair return, the consumer may experiment with the product and create new variations of play, for personal enjoyment, without creating a derivative work.": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Galoob_Toys,_Inc._v._Nintendo_of_America,_Inc. I think this could reasonably be applied to a pinball machine. Stern has certainly been paid a reasonable return (!) and if I want to hack the Linux-based system to "create new variations of play" then I think that's fair enough as long as I'm not "creating a derivative work". This is the same as custom ROMs for a Bally or customised ECU chip in my car. And I accept that by doing these things I have invalidated my warranty.

Back
Top Bottom