What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it worth fixing before I sell?

Iron Sight

Registered
Alias
Iron Sight
I have a pin bot I wanna sell, it’s in good condition but the player 3 display isn’t working. Is it worth my time getting an all new digital display to encourage a sale or just not really worth the hassle and be cost effective if I just want it sold?

I have a pin bot I wanna sell, it’s in good condition but the player 3 display isn’t working. Is it worth my time getting an all new digital display to encourage a sale or just not really worth the hassle and be cost effective if I just want it sold?
You may broaden the pool of potential buyers if you do fix it. You won't get top price if there are parts to source and fit.

If a simple fix might be worth just doing it? Least you can advertise as fully working

You may broaden the pool of potential buyers if you do fix it. You won't get top price if there are parts to source and fit.
That’s a fair point, do you recommend any displays in particular because there don’t seem to be many online

My guess is no, it won't affect it. But if you put it up for sale you will find out pretty quickly ;) And doing that before XMAS would be sensible, as there'll be a sales lull in January.

If we're discussing the original displays, Pinbot uses the same 7-digit, 7 segment displays as earlier* Williams games for the Player 3 and 4. You could swap these two over to see if the problem is the display panel (the more likely) or Player 3 port on the display controller. Then you could at least inform any prospective buyer of the situation, i.e. whether it's the display panel or controller (or possibly the ribbon cable) at fault.

@Ashbo, that set of displays would indeed be suitable. Pinbot was the final regular Williams game to have its displays connected to their controller board by ribbon cables, though the set-up (the controller pcb, anyway) made a special return appearance in Banzai Run.

* Also, this 7-digit 7 segment display pcb was later seen occasionally as an additional feature, such as Jackpot meter on Taxi, Police Force and Riverboat Gambler

Last edited:
If we're discussing the original displays, Pinbot uses the same 7-digit 7 segment displays as earlier Williams games for the Player 3 and 4. You could swap these two over to see if the problem is the display panel (the more likely) or Player 3 port on the display controller. Then you could at least inform any prospective buyer of the situation, i.e. whether it's the display panel or controller at fault.
That’s a great idea, I will give it a go thanks.

Back
Top Bottom