What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Improving access to the basement – advice please

Jb3d

Site Supporter
Alias
John
I thought I should call this thread something like ‘enlarging my opening’ but I don’t need smutty clickbait to get you to offer advice do I?

We have a sub-basement, half below and half above ground level. We had it made waterproof, heated and habitable a year ago. The stairs access is terrible with only just enough space to squeeze the dismantled body of a 1980s solid state machine through. No way I could get a more modern machine in, even with the head removed. But now I want to get a modern DMD machine!

Andy @pinballmania was visiting a while ago and suggested making a delivery hatch through the front window. We’ve just discovered that this front window is rotten, which is great news as now I can get it replaced with something that opens fully and would let a machine be slid in. The guys who did the basement will come back and enlarge the light well at the front so I could drop a machine down (like lowering a coffin in to a grave) and slide it through the open window - probably on to something like trestles or a table.

Will you take a look at the photos and tell me if this will work and if there are issues I should think about before going ahead?

Thanks. John

The window from outside, with existing small light well.
window 3.jpg

And this is the view from inside the basement.

window2.jpg

If you are thinking of lowering the machine in like a coffin into a grave then surely the machine should be Bram Stokers Dracula - the best machine for a basement

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How about turning it into a doorway ?

Moving a radiator is no big deal
You already have a lintel over it

Just make it very secure - security grill or similar

Back
Top Bottom