What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importing Pinball to UK from Europe

True story:
A nice TAF recently came up for auction here and immediately started a bidding frenzy. Price topped out at $NZD 25k or £13k. A few hours before before closing a mate listed his TAF for about £12k. Sold within an hour to an underbidder. He then brought a replacement TAF from expand Italy for £8k after taxes and shipping.

Bumping the thread.

Can anyone recommend a shipping company for importing pins from Europe? This would be for something rare.

Also, does anyone know if old pins from the US/Europe work on UK power supplies?

fedex will do it. not cheap but they will do door to door. i used to get a machine from the middle of nowhere in usa
Yeah, it’s apparently 549 euros from Italy, which isn’t very nice, but it is a very large object moving (relatively) quickly…

You can FedEx items weighing up to a tonne and their services are currently suspended in Russia and the Ukraine! 😎

I normally work on 23% being added.

Plus carraige. That is the average. You also have to maybe factor in other charges.

I would question mark how your pal is going to hide the VAT payment if you use his company.....

But having seen a few imported machines from Italy the last couple of years. The Addams I saw were fit only for a full rebuild. Mechs can be missing. Maybe a boardset that has been bodged to hell.

Do you have experience with pins to put this right, or any other issues? They know you wont return it.

Also, does anyone know if old pins from the US/Europe work on UK power supplies?

Most games are adaptable by altering the wiring to the transformer, though as I read early solid-state Gottlieb games have two transformers fitted, and one isn't suitable. In any case, if a varistor is (or should be) fitted across the mains filter, it may require replacement with a higher-voltage one for the u.k.

I looked at a Williams Magic City once, which may have been a domestic-market machine. It had another transformer fitted, to present its original one with 115v rather than 230. The parts listing for it mentioned different transformers, though the options were 50 or 60 Hertz, rather than for voltage.

Last edited:
The guys in Italy use several couriers and will send it to your doorstep on a pallet. Let them sort the carriage and add to your bill, its been 1 or 2 machines on a pallet for circa €250 for me in the past.

Anyone know whether Stern Spike 2 systems are region-locked between mainland Europe (Italy) and the UK?

I know they are between the US and UK due to the 60Hz/50Hz frequency difference, which the pin checks. My understanding is the only difference between mainland Europe and the UK is plugs.

Men with vans used to pick up games in Europe and drop off at your door for a sensible price. In Spain it was a guy who took stuff from the UK to Expats and had an empty van to fill coming back. Had a few spannish games for around £200 delivery each

.. now we have Brexit = ballache.

So what's the situation with VAT if you purchase from a private seller rather than a business? I'm assuming you'd still be liable for VAT @ 20%

So, without a proper bill of sale then you could pluck a figure out of thin air.
Wouldn't condone that

An individual seller still has to fill out the customs forms and produce a bill of sale. It is the sellers responsibility to declare the value not the buyer. I recently sent stuff to Europe using dpd and dpd online booking produced the shipping label and 4x bills of sale with all the details that I had input on their automatic forms which I had so sign to declare value and put in envelope attached to box. I doubt many sellers would be willing to assist a Buyer in defrauding hmrc of its revenue even individuals.

Bumping the thread.

Can anyone recommend a shipping company for importing pins from Europe? This would be for something rare.

Try translandgroup.com they used to be great pre brexit, not sure now though

Would it be worth the trouble to buy a TOTAN from a private seller in Spain for €5000. The machine is said to be in good condition and working order. I would make that a holiday and pick it up myself, and with luck avoid VAT.

Would it be worth the trouble to buy a TOTAN from a private seller in Spain for €5000. The machine is said to be in good condition and working order. I would make that a holiday and pick it up myself, and with luck avoid VAT.
yes, I'd have said so. Fit a UK plug before you bring it back.

And wrap it up well so it doesn't break and hide it well in your suitcase just like we all used to do with the extra booze and fags so we didn;t get caught. :)

Back
Top Bottom