What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importing a Machine from Europe?

JustLikeMe

Site Supporter
Can anyone help me understand the logistics of importing a second hand game from the EU post Brexit? I don’t have a particular game in mind, but I occasionally browse flippermarkt (got my Tron LE from a guy in Germany many years back) and it had me wondering.

I assume if a machine was shipped over on a pallet we’d be faced with a 20% import VAT fee on its declared value - but what would happen if I drove over to collect one?

I assume they’d notice a pinball machine in the back of the car or van going through customs before getting on the Eurotunnel, but how would they know the value of the machine / what to charge? Could you argue that you’d taken it over with you to a pinball show? What about if you were doing a trade and were taking one machine over and coming back with another?

It’s all very confusing and would be good to know for the future. May no longer be viable which would be a shame.

Interested and following I don’t know how they could charge vat on a private sale but interested to see what peoples opinions on this also

Interested and following I don’t know how they could charge vat on a private sale but interested to see what peoples opinions on this also
it’s nothing to do with a private sale rather is the fact you’re importing goods to uk with a certain value and of a type of goods that attracts vat.

If you use a transport company to ship it for you, you will most likely pay the vat. if you stick it in your car and do it yourself you may get away with it.

marking the items value down is probably the best bet but jeopardises any transport insurance valuation.

I don’t know how they could charge vat on a private sale

As @AlanJ says, it has nothing to do with the type of sale, it’s simply down to the fact that we’re no longer in the EU. If you buy anything from Europe and get it shipped over, even second hand items via private sale, expect to pay an additional 20%.

Sounds like a sticky wicket prob by time you’ve messed about getting over prob not worth it

Sounds like a sticky wicket prob by time you’ve messed about getting over prob not worth it

I mean I wouldn’t bother if it‘s a machine that’s available over here, but there are some games that didn’t sell well over here and therefore rarely come up for sale, if ever. It would be nice to have the option of getting those games over without paying an extra 20% even if it does mean a long drive. Could make a long weekend out of it if it’s possible to get it past customs on the way back.

I would say as a minimum have a shipping invoice to go with item which includes seller name and address, buyer name and address, item details, value , customs code etc .
I have an excel template which I’ve used a few times since Brexit and it’s worked ok, happy to share with you.
I complete it and email the vendor to stick on the package . But same principle would apply if you’re collecting it yourself and driving it back.

so it gets a little bit harder to bypass stuff from next year with designated haulage.

Be quick! Looks like the ‘stick it in a van’ option will no longer viable past May.

‘According to updates on the gov.uk website, anyone driving a van, a light commercial vehicle or any car towing a trailer will be required to have a “goods vehicle operator licence” to enter the EU, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein or Switzerland from May.

The licence will cost van drivers up to £1,100, a significant burden for solo operators, industry leaders said.’

Be quick! Looks like the ‘stick it in a van’ option will no longer viable past May.

‘According to updates on the gov.uk website, anyone driving a van, a light commercial vehicle or any car towing a trailer will be required to have a “goods vehicle operator licence” to enter the EU, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein or Switzerland from May.

The licence will cost van drivers up to £1,100, a significant burden for solo operators, industry leaders said.’

Just get's better and better! Guess it's the big car route...

Sign of the Times Sheesh!
Back in the day I rented a van and drove around Germany bringing several pins back with no issues whatsoever but regardless of how customs are not I think the bigger problem is prices of the actual pins themselves now!
Back then they were always less than half the price of UK ones ie TAF £450, STTNG £700 ect. but in todays climate I cant see them being any cheaper than the crazy UK prices ATM with the added worry of getting hit with a massive import duty so is it really worth the risk?

I can’t see it being worth it, but then again I would encourage everyone to import as many pins as they can to the UK 😃

Back
Top Bottom