What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ - Comments on Sales/trades/wanted threads

Comments on sales/Trades/Wanted threads.... Yes or no.... (Simple choice!)

• Yes

Votes: 129 86.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 14.0%

• Total voters

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
Recent topic of conversation based upon a couple of threads now....Posted in General on purpose since it's a high traffic area.

On the new system which will be coming in in the new year, there is the option to have commments similar to current or fire any Q's straight to PM....

7 days duration.... Straight yes/no Vote - Majority carries.

Discussion as always encouraged.... Please keep it clean and insult-free though!

Thank you.

Last edited:
Just some thoughts around this (Not personal ones, just how i see things....)

This would mean that :

1. Users couldnt warn others of potential scams
2. Sellers couldnt be advised if their post is breaking rules (no price etc)

However it would also mean that :

1. Sellers wont be hassled with Off topic comments

There's no easy resolution to the issues we have seen, and i can see both sides - hence why it's your choice... This isnt Facebook, nor is it Ebay or Pinside...

If anyone has any other thoughts about what is permissible and which isnt then feel free. As i have mentioned before, this is your forum... any feedback welcomed :)

Last edited:
Have a good think before you vote if you put yes and someone posts something to your dislike on your post or you list at a silly price then you only have yourself to blame

As a halfway house, could the person posting select the option to have comments on or off at point of posting?
(That way they make a conscious choice and have to accept the good and the bad comments if on)

Some for sale posts receive biased comments intended to justify a highish price which is effectively like Ebay shilling; how dare someone say something is overpriced though because in reality its changed hands many times, done a few more miles than others as needed to have flippers rebuilt, worn shooter lane etc and not in the same league as one previously sold at xx£ for example.
(People who are friends of others, own one themselves and want to keep the price up or people who are simply fans or not fans of a particular brand/theme for example)

If comments are on there is no way of stopping deliberate or accidental comments that affect a sellers post; fairly or unfairly in the interest of both seller and buyer.

Many on here know what's about right, but there are plenty that don't - is the forum here to obtain high prices for those that do, or protect those that do not; if comments are on then people have to accept good and not so good comments on their posts.

Fair play @Paul for opening the discussion again - especially if there is the new post system coming into play, it seems like the right thing to do. Then we can put this discussion to bed, there is always eBay if people don't like the way that the forum works, that's true of whichever way the group decides by the way.

In my opinion though, seems odd to have a discussion around discussing items on forum.

English Language Learners Definition of forum

a meeting at which a subject can be discussed.
a place or opportunity for discussing a subject.
a large public place in an ancient Roman city that was used as the center of business.

Just viewed another post and one thing that was mentioned that a newbie may pay a silly price for a bay watch 8k one tool I use on here and any body can use it is the advanced search option and you can see all what have sold and what they go for it kind of makes the what’s this table thread worth pointless too

Being fairly new to the hobby I’ve found the talk and discussion an important resource when buying a pin.

At the end of the day I’m (sort of) a grown up and can make my own mind up as to a pins worth but knowing others opinions certainly helps It also help establishing how trustworthy the seller is

I’ve transferred thousands of pounds to people I’ve never met for a pin based on comments people have made and who’s made them.

was a fair comment about the number of Alien pins coming up. They are quiet covered well looked after working ones due to the rarity and no doubt this helped keep the price high. How ever with a new possibly more reliable one coming I think the values of those machines have taken a few £k hit over night hence why a few are looking to sell now.

I don’t mind sharing my thoughts as a relative newbie, who has benefited from help from many on here - and learned through reading many posts. It’s a great resource we have here - and overall a very helpful community.

The For Sale section seems to get so much passion and strong opinions. I personally don’t understand why that is.

From what I’ve seen - pins that are over-priced don’t sell on here (one of mine included!).

There is nothing stopping a Newbie asking on a thread what to expect to pay for a certain pin that they’d really like to buy. From what I’ve seen, there is always quick feedback when people do ask. People may have lots of their own reasons to justify their asking price - the market will determine if they’re being reasonable or not.

Scamming is a worry - again, I have seen posts asking for references on people selling pins, and again I’ve seen quick responses to those.

So I’d be in favour of a For Sale ad - with no comments, opinions and passionate feedback.

Who knows - it may open up more cracking pins through the forum - I can’t see how it would stifle people posting For Sale ads.

Good on you [mention]Paul [/mention] for opening up the debate!

My biggest gripe is those who give their own personal opinion on an item that is for sale that is completely irrelevant to the sale. There is a certain someone who is always chipping in on sales threads that a game is a turd and putting people off buying just because they don't like the game. I think if a newbie sees a game for sale and then wants an opinion on that game then take it to one of the other discussion areas.

I'm a fan of no comments.
If someone is interested in making a purchase then open up a PM with the buyer. Too many open comments, even ones with good intentions can potentially derail the sale.
If potential buyer is wavering, they can always PM their buddies regarding the item for advice.

95% of sales thread go just fine. Do we really have to censor discussion because, occasionally, someone makes an inappropriate comment?
I think I rarely get any comment s on my fs posts but I don’t really care if I do I have never had a problem selling anything on here most stuff goes in under 5 mins
One thing that does annoy me is the pm sent thing when that person then makes you a silly offer not what you are asking for in
In the mean time other people assume it’s already sold as you have had a pm

If you post on a PUBLIC forum then expect opinions and comments.
Are we really saying that readers of this forum are so easily swayed that a personal opinion expressed on a for sale post is going to affect their decision? Patronise much?
If the price is right it will sell.

I don't know why Rav received a ban. His post was nothing compared to the outpouring of vitriol from Will aimed at me and @ianw which the moderators seemed to turn a blind eye to.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

^^^^ Yeah, why not just send the PM, you will see the flag anyhow?
Why do peeps feel they have to tell the world they have sent a PM..... is that like a badge of honour type code or something? :tut:
I think it’s “don’t even think about it, it’s mine” 🤣
OK if you pay the asking price but otherwise don’t bother.

^^^^ Yeah, why not just send the PM, you will see the flag anyhow?
Why do peeps feel they have to tell the world they have sent a PM..... is that like a badge of honour type code or something? :tut:

Easy, some of us have sent PM's before now only to be told we lost out to the person who PM'ed the for sale thread about 40 mins later.

was Rav even banned ?? Not sure where that’s come from..

have a sticky on the for sale section (and maybe force each for sale post include it) stating what is and isn’t allowed. the problem is the same as people’s opinion on games, one mans grail pin is another’s junk. I also think people posting ‘this won’t last long’ or ,why hasn’t this sold yet’ aren’t overly helpful either, if you think it’s a fair price just ‘like’ the for sale post. If a potential buyer wants to they can post up asking about the price or seller etc in another thread..

if I was selling something and i kept getting notified my thread had update and I check in and it’s just glws etc I’d get ****ed quickly

Ideally comments on, but with the option to delete inappropriate posts, or even just flag them. That person then gets kicked off the thread. 2nd offence they get barred from all For Sale threads.

Why do people feel the need to post "I've played this.. etc.", "GLWS", "How is this still here?" and other such useless comments which add absolutely nothing? Do these people really need to post such fatuous garbage?

Comments regarding the price are also pretty much useless, if it's overpriced it won't sell quickly, How a for sale thread for a single machine can stretch to 7 pages is beyond belief.

There are numerous sale threads where I have felt strongly that a machine was overpriced, or had damage that hadn't been as clearly detailed as could have been.
Two things stopped me from posting:
1) I wasn't considering buying it so it had absolutely nothing to do with me
2) It was just my OPINION, no more or less valid than anybody else's, trying to state your opinion as fact (or even worse: believing your opinion is fact) is just arrogant BS. Then calling others out on their opinion just escalates things.

I would actually welcome comments on any For Sale thread I start.

If I am being greedy and pricing too high then as far as I am concerned if someone comments that my price is on the high side then at least that lets me know. Maybe I will adjust it down. Maybe I won't.

Likewise if I say it's minty and someone points out that it isnt because of some defect I have overlooked then good because then I can change the wording so people won't be misled.

Nothing wrong with a bit of public discussion on a public discussion forum in my book.

Last edited:
Comments can help threads keep to the top. Comments that X game is “crap” or ones that rip a game apart aren’t helpful.

I’d be sad to see comments go though.

The counter argument is that more experienced members are able to point out flaws that the inexperienced buyer will almost certainly miss. For instance, having spent a fortune on a so called restored Addams Family there were people on the Facebook repairs group (namely Jerry Clause) who were able to tell me what parts were incorrect for the machine and what parts had been tumbled as opposed to replaced. Removing comments makes it easier for dodgy 'restorers' to sell ****e to noobs.

Easy, some of us have sent PM's before now only to be told we lost out to the person who PM'ed the for sale thread about 40 mins later.
Righto, that's strange behaviour. One would think a seller monitoring the forum would see PM message waiting just as easy as the alert flag from a post on their FS thread.

Can we go back to the drawing board on this.

Is allowing a for sale thread to have discussion an effective control against a newbie being fleeced by an over inflated price or a person selling a bad machine with a poor or dodgy description?
We are not talking about opinions but experts highlighting factual points. Do we need an Pinball Expert category of forum member who is allowed to post. People maintain it by being objective in their reviews.

Most of the ones that go nuclear do not have those sorts of comments in them. They have opinions or comment not associated with the machine in question.

I posted PM sent recently as tapatalk often fails to show up users of new PM’s but I expect most sellers to be watching their post.

Righto, that's strange behaviour. One would think a seller monitoring the forum would see PM message waiting just as easy as the alert flag from a post on their FS thread.
I think the problem there is I often put something up for sale then go to work and not check my pms by this time I have 10 the first are questions too are offers the 7th one is I will take it please and bacs you now and collect tomorrow so they take it

The counter argument is that more experienced members are able to point out flaws that the inexperienced buyer will almost certainly miss. For instance, having spent a fortune on a so called restored Addams Family there were people on the Facebook repairs group (namely Jerry Clause) who were able to tell me what parts were incorrect for the machine and what parts had been tumbled as opposed to replaced. Removing comments makes it easier for dodgy 'restorers' to sell ****e to noobs.
I would be there all day if we did this

Can we go back to the drawing board on this.

Is allowing a for sale thread to have discussion an effective control against a newbie being fleeced by an over inflated price or a person selling a bad machine with a poor or dodgy description?
We are not talking about opinions but experts highlighting factual points. Do we need an Pinball Expert category of forum member who is allowed to post. People maintain it by being objective in their reviews.

Most of the ones that go nuclear do not have those sorts of comments in them. They have opinions or comment not associated with the machine in question.

I posted PM sent recently as tapatalk often fails to show up users of new PM’s but I expect most sellers to be watching their post.
The newbie can search the pin they want to buy and see the prices they have sold for since the forum started

Back
Top Bottom