What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm guessing Pins won't appreciate that much?

Flibberflops

Registered
Hi,
A bit of a long time lurker from South Birmingham here.

I have owned a TAF for about 15 years and now have problems finding space for it. I don't really want to sell it but due to house renovations I can't see me having space until I eventually build a mancave which realistically will be at least two years away. At the moment I am looking at my options but I am guessing that holding onto it purely for investment reasons isn't going to be justifiable enough to her-in-doors?

There is an option for you: i'll give it a warm home for the next two years and comes the time when you are ready to have it back, i'll give it back to you. Free of charge.

Seriously, unless someone was to decide to make a remake of it, its value is likely to be steadily rising up. It has been so for quite a long time now so it is difficult to imagine differently.

Where is South Brum are you @Flibberflops ? I am based nr the Cadburys factory so not far from your neck of the woods !

If you have to - take the batteries up and fold it up and put it in dry storage. Down sids is nobody gets any fun from it, and looking at the prices now - I can not see them going much higher. If anything - after this CV19 stuff I think we will find all pinballs will drop in value if the predictions for the world economy is correct. If you store your investment then also you may have to pay for storage if you do not have a suitable place. I would offer my place but I am not a fan of the game......

The CHEAPEST NASTY Addams goes for £3.5K now. Prices of £5K up are more common.

You could always sell and buy a cheaper game. Or see if anyone on here is interested in a cash+existing game trade.

I have heard that the bubble in pins will burst for a while, still hasn’t. But you have had this for 15 years so any investment made is probably fine to leave in the machine.
Lend it out to someone you can track and trust, let them enjoy it for a while.
I have lent games out and been lent games, a lot of us do.

Its £1 max selling fees on ebay - stick it on for £10k or best offer. Then consider the offers. You can always say no or end the lsiting.

Dont know if I would lend out an Addams. Maybe stick it on site even.

The bubble will burst - economy wont be in a good state after this cv19.......

" At the moment I am looking at my options but I am guessing that holding onto it purely for investment reasons isn't going to be justifiable enough to her-in-doors? " If you need the cash, go for it, but the reality of price fluctuations and what you tell your wife do not have to be the same thing ;)

Please moderator fix the spelling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Haha
Reactions: JT.
If you bought it 15 years ago you must be laughing over the appreciation anyway 😉 Clearly the way to go is to speculate and buy another couple of machines.
This.

If you bought it 15 years ago you’ve probably doubled your money anyway.

I’ve just sold a really nice TAF a couple of months ago, it had premium LED set ColourDMD and lots of my protectors.
It had recently undergone a ChrisB mini workshop and was a great HUO example of over 25yr (2 owners)
I sold it for 5k and made a decent profit.
Was it worth more? Not IMO as it’s the most overrated pin of all time that gets attention due to people hankering back to the past and their memories of how pinball was back in the day. Maybe a great classic for some but can’t hold its own against the newer breed of pins 5k can buy.
Will it go up I value? I very much doubt it as there are so many about and doesn’t take a real pinhead long to source a nice one.
I sold a minty TAFG back in the day that bought me a NIB STLE and I still had enough left over to buy another nice little Will classic. Do I have regrets? No way ST blows it it every way and my mate now has it across the road from me whereas if I kept TAFG it would only get played once per year when I changed the batteries.
Life’s too short to only experience 1 pin over 15 yrs you’re missing out on some awesome pins.
My advice sell it and treat yourself to a new pin once the dust has settled and you have the room.

Back in The Day, there was an Arcade in Southport that had 4 Pins.
Black Rose, Getaway 2, TAF, Hurricane.
My first choice was........ Hurricane. I have never got the TAF hype 🤔

Will it go up I value? I very much doubt it as there are so many about and doesn’t take a real pinhead long to source a nice one

We've been saying that for years though Col and yet the prices still continue to creep up little by little. I paid £2700 for mine from Dean the badger man many years ago and at the time thought that was expensive and I'd never get my money back out of it (not that I'd ever sell it as it's my fav game) but these days it looks like a bargain. I agree that I don't think we'll see any big value jumps but I reckon they'll still climb slowly as time goes on until the pool of potential buyers dries up :thumbs:

TAF is an established classic. It reset the bar when it came out. It was the pin I really wanted when I first started a collection (was actually my second purchased as I couldn’t justify the £1000 cost for a toy).

Undoubtedly there are “better” pins out there. Whether you judge it by toys, rules etc. However it is always going to be THE pin for a lot of people. It’s kind of like comparing the Beatles to a modern band.

If I sold up all my games TAF would be the last to go. I probably haven’t turned it on for the best part of a year but when I do it makes me feel 19/20 again. It encapsulates that moment In time in a way that my other pins don’t.

Everyone likes different things, but the market decides the value of something - and TAF has been consistently valued highly for years.

You can have your own opinions, but you can't have your own facts.

I’m not a big fan of TAF. It’s the machine I least regret selling. It’s an icon though. It’s the Porsche 911 of the pinball world, love it or hate it. The only thing that’s going to flatten the curve is a remake.

Did the remakes of MM dent the value? Been out of it since they came on the scene.

Did the remakes of MM dent the value? Been out of it since they came on the scene.

Probably not. I don’t think it sold in enough numbers to do that. I think it’s a slightly different market though. Everyone and their cousin has heard of Addams Family pinball and probably played it once. Whereas only hardcore pinball nerds know what MM is....or any other pinball machine for that matter. TAF IS pinball to the average man on the street.

But supply and demand had meant that people had to pay more because there were so few. Then there were more and that hasn’t dented the price. Doesn’t sound like we have evidence of how this would go in the future.

Outside of us lot, most people think it is insane we spend the money we do on wooden boxes that are full of old technology.

So back to the original post. Another will come up but don’t sell if you don’t want to.

Sorry guys I have been crazy busy trying to consolidate the house so the builders can knock down the old extension soon. Thanks for all your advice and opinions. I have been a massive fan of TAF since the early nineties when I used to spend a fortune on it in the pub. I have tried playing other popular pins but to be honest I never really gelled with anything other than TAF. However, having it set back up over the last few days I've realised that this novelty of my youth has worn off and looking back at my orginal post I am only thinking of keeping for potential profit. This is wrong. At one time I adored this pin and couldn't stop playing it. It should go to someone who is going to appriciate it. So with that in mind I will sell. I just got to change a few bulbs and worn rubbers.

Whats the score with Newbies selling on here, am I allowed to donate and put it in the sales section straight away or do I need some solid post history as well?

No waiting period. Pay your dues and you'll be able to sell immediately. Looking forward to seeing pictures. You should get a good price for it as it is still a popular pin.

Whether they will go up or not is a tough call.

Addams is THE benchmark pinball machine. It is universally understood and accepted like a gold sovereign or krugerrand.

Favouring appreciation is the fact that governments around the world are printing vast sums of money. This happened after the 2008 financial crisis and the nominal value of quality assets has (generally doubled ?) since - houses, gold, classic cars, pinballs, fine wine, rolexs.

On the flip side is the economic apocalypse that may be coming. Millions of new unemployed will not be thinking about buying houses, gold, classic cars, pinballs, fine wine, rolexs. Those in work will be paying more taxes. Those with wealth may well see this taxed. I suspect that pensions will also be hit as the young revolt at living in crap accommodation, no job security, no pension of their own ..... yet are paying for public sector guys who retired as young as aged 50.

Right now is the calm before the storm. Furlough money has insulated most from the oncoming apocalypse. At home for 3 months on full pay, many actually feel better off now than they did in February. So folk right now are bored, solvent, at home all day and buying pinball machines - I think this could be a false dawn.

In short, Lord knows whether pinballs will go up or down over the next 12 months but I suspect they won't

Quick Question... which donation should I use to be able to post in the for sale section, the general donation or I have sold a machine donation... or doesn't it matter?

Back
Top Bottom