What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IFPA intoducing pinball comp tax - in US

Imagine trying to work out the exchange rate on the day and how much each player owes!

OK, this is only in the US and I'm completely wrong. Nothing to see here!
:oops:

I'm not surprised! One of the top players decides that every comp has to contribute money towards a fund they are very likely to be collecting a share of or lose status as an IFPA event?

Turkey's voting for Xmas springs to mind.

Whilst this is only in the US for now, it won't be long before it's rolled out worldwide.

It's the sort of thing that drives a wedge between players and the refs! No need for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've spoken about how it can be that a number of the top players can also be on the committee (IFPA) that decides the rules, which comps are in the world circuit, how points are distributed.
But it is such a closed shop and run by people who can potentially benefit from any decisions made that it is never going to change.

There is no way I can see to combat this due to the fact that comps in US actually generate some decent prize money, paid for by those players ever trying to improve their ranking.
If a separate ranking system was setup, focusing on Europe for example, it wouldn't have the slightest impact on the IFPA.
It's either live with the decisions they make or forget about the IFPA endorsed comps altogether.

I asked them on pinside if they published accounts and got no answer!

OK, this is only in the US and I'm completely wrong. Nothing to see here!
:oops:

Well, I asked IFPA to state it clearly because the first version on their website made it look as if everyone had to pay.
I wrote it was not going in the right direction but (as usual) no one listens and no one cares.

As a TD director myself I stopped caring about IFPA some time ago. Only reason why I am still declaring my tourneys is that is very easy and free (for now). The day I'll have to pay or contribute anything... bye bye. There has never been, and never will be any cash prize in the tourneys I organize. Only free beer and soft drinks, a few trophees and awards... and miserable WPPR points (I also stopped paying attention to TGP...)

All that for a modest fee, like 5-8 euros. I actually started to ask for money after a few completely free tourneys: players were uncomfortable so they brought (relatively) expensive gifts or wine bottles. So registration covers drinks and snacks... in part.

Feel free to come and visit our regional league in southwest France. You won't score many IFPA points, but you might fun and play some rare machines!

Back
Top Bottom