What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I hate printers!!!

M4carp

Site Supporter
Alias
Lostcause
This one has always given me grief with loading paper but today print head error which I sorted but then it wouldn't load paper which it has done on and off since we bought it.
Was trying to print off invoices for my accountant this morning and the day of reckoning came for the printer!

Attachments

• 2680CFE3-DA46-4A01-A11B-E1315B7D213D.JPG
    2680CFE3-DA46-4A01-A11B-E1315B7D213D.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 49
Those combo units are just crap. They do none of their features well.

Honestly the best thing I ever did was sack inkjets totally, and moved straight to a basic black-and-white laser printer... exponentially more reliable, quicker, and the paper coming out nice and warm and toner-smelly is a small slice of luxury.

Yes, I have no color printing at home as a result, but frankly if I need to print off something in color that isn't unimportant enough to tolerate as a B&W copy, then I'm better off patronising my local printing shop down the road, where I can also get it printed on ultra-thick card stock and with good inks...

Have to agree with that, used to have some so called nice inkjet printers and even they were unreliable which is why the last one was a cheap all in one.
Don't think I have lost my temper with any tech before.
My other half is picking up another cheap all in one to get me out of the crap for now but think you are right in what you have said:thumbs:

Looks like a Canon MG5650? Mine has never loaded paper reliably either, from day one! I too had the print head error (doing some research online, it was a recall fault for a while and they faced some legal action in the US over it IIRR) - fortunately after some fiddling, it cleared (more by luck than anything). Then a few weeks back went to print a shipping label for a parcel (it gets light use - only on second pack of paper from new) and it chewed the first sheet of paper ... made the mistake of removing the loading tray on the underside (to clear jammed paper) whilst still switched on - now it doesn't register the loading tray as being installed (even though it is) and refuses to print anything. Thought Canon were a reliable brand - not this model - would never buy another - £80 wasted (their customer support was next to useless, just referring to a repair centre which of course unviable due to cost).

Well let me tell you I felt great after beating it up, bought a £40 Epson xp355 from Currys that works great for now. Better than the Canon ever did.

I've had 2 Epson 3in1s that both lasted for several years; now have a HP Envy 5030 which I've had for a year - came from Argos where they almost give away the printer, and (after couple of free months) costs £3.49/month (as its a business expense, claim back the 58p VAT) for ink (100 pages a month, rollovers up to 3x that), and works out for me as I print just under 100 pages on average, and don't have to faff about trying to find compatible cartridges.

Gave up with inkjet years ago. Ended up with a colour laser and never looked back.... HP was recommended to me a while ago (pagewide) and it was the worst printer followed up by the worst service i ever had.

Now have a Brother, and it's like a breath of fresh air. They reguarly run cashback offers so they work out a lot cheaper, and compatible carts are relatively cheap as well...

This is the current one i have : https://www.printerland.co.uk/product/brother-mfc-l8690cdw/139120

Works out £196 after cashback.

That’s a nice printer and with the cash back a good deal.
Think I will order one of those, my wife is just setting an office up at home.
A Medieval Madness would look good in there too😛

That’s a nice printer and with the cash back a good deal.
Think I will order one of those, my wife is just setting an office up at home.
A Medieval Madness would look good in there too😛

All i can give you is my personal oppinion, and of the ones i have been through it's deffo one of the better ones. Not sure if there are any newer ones out there, so might be worth checking the cashback to see if there's a newer model out thats better suited. Have had mine for over a year and <touches wood> have had zero issues.

All i can give you is my personal oppinion, and of the ones i have been through it's deffo one of the better ones. Not sure if there are any newer ones out there, so might be worth checking the cashback to see if there's a newer model out thats better suited. Have had mine for over a year and <touches wood> have had zero issues.
Will have a look at models etc like you said but looks decent enough to me, could last years or 1 year and a day that’s the luck of the draw sometimes.
But cool runnings is what I like to hear too👍 That one looks like it would hurt if I hit it🤕

That printer price is ridiculous, especially if a business and then claiming cash back - it's effectively free....

That printer price is ridiculous, especially if a business and then claiming cash back - it's effectively free....

I suspect if it's business then you cant get the Cashback - Havent read the T&C;s tho...

Mine was in yesterday and is great (thanks again Paul). I updated the firmware on mine straight away and if you have a Mac you'll definitely need to download the drivers from Brother's website.

Mine was in yesterday and is great (thanks again Paul). I updated the firmware on mine straight away and if you have a Mac you'll definitely need to download the drivers from Brother's website.

Cool! i seem to get firmware updates on mine every couple of months... which isn't a bad thing... just tells you on the screen that a firmware update is available and you click to install.. it then reboots and all done :)

Back
Top Bottom