What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I could murder a plumber

So hard to find a decent time served tradesman these days, you have to baby sit them all the time to ensure a good job is done.

I always think to myself these are the lads that were put on woodwork and had board dusters thrown at them... Thick as mince.

What a nightmare. Maybe it was all done by a bathroom fitter and not someone trading as a plumber, especially as no legal certification/registration is required for general plumbing unless involving gas work.........unless the regs have tightened since I last looked.

it’s sooo annoying. the cold feed comes out of a tiled wall. i have found an inspection hatch downstairs in the utility room ceiling. got some ladders and poked my head up, can see the pipe, no isolator up there though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whilst the mains water is off I'd cut that pipe, let it drain into a suitable container, and then fit an iso valve in the hatch. I've always used lever ball valves anywhere where there's room and they're hidden - so much easier than faffing about with a screwdriver in the dark.

To be fair to the plumber though, I've never owned a house that had a lot of shutoff valves. The only reason I have them is either because I fitted them, or I specifically told the plumber that I wanted them, and where to put them - and I'm guessing most customers don;t do that. Daft they don't do it as standard practice for what they cost, but in my experience that's rare.

My house doesn’t even have a water shut off valve. At all. We tried to get a water meter installed a couple of years ago but they spent an entire morning trying to find the shut off valve with no luck. They came back with some machine that puts pressure into the system and allows them to locate the valve. That technique ended up wrecking the boiler as we discovered later. Still no sign of a shut off valve.

Trusted reliable tradesmen are like gold dust. Once you find one, treat them with care and attention and more importantly: give them work and pay them well.
Don't faff around trying to find the cheapest bloke. Try to find the one you can trust.
I trust one plumber and one electrician. If I need anything doing, they know I'll call them and no one else. They won't try to cut corners. They will try to do a good job.
When we build the house 10 years ago, we used a large plumbing contractor. I have stopped counting the number of leaks they left behind. The quality of the work was shocking. And we are still discovering things. Learnt my lessons then.

Yes - normally the best plumbers are the ones that can squeeze you in maybe in a couple of weeks. Not the ones who can do it tomorrow!

I used to be a sparky full time, and I only now do electrical work for a handful of people as I couldnt be ****d crawling under floor boards and getting covered in crap.

Like any job - it is not difficult. Doing it right is.

If you live in a new property then I would contact the people that do the warranties on new homes. It was in the regulations more than 10 years ago to put isolation valves on every item. Perhaps you could take this further.

My house doesn’t even have a water shut off valve. At all. We tried to get a water meter installed a couple of years ago but they spent an entire morning trying to find the shut off valve with no luck. They came back with some machine that puts pressure into the system and allows them to locate the valve. That technique ended up wrecking the boiler as we discovered later. Still no sign of a shut off valve.
Ask your neighbour where his is and if you still can't find it ask him to switch his water off as you may be connected to him . When I was younger and living at home my parents terraced house water supply was connected to about 3 or 4 house's and the mains water pipe wss lead :oops:

Ask your neighbour where his is and if you still can't find it ask him to switch his water off as you may be connected to him . When I was younger and living at home my parents terraced house water supply was connected to about 3 or 4 house's and the mains water pipe wss lead :oops:

He died about two weeks ago (seriously). We’ve never actually seen him in the 5 years we’ve lived here. I suspect you might be right. Although there’s also a good chance it’s been boxed in behind the dishwasher or something stupid.

Fit a Dudley Turbo and it has a pin to remove and no need to turn the water off .
cut an isolation valve in - they are only a few quid . Trained a plumber and seen lots wrong in people’s houses . My mistresses house is a classic of done wrong . No vent on the only soil pipe to the roof in the house

Fit a Dudley Turbo and it has a pin to remove and no need to turn the water off .
cut an isolation valve in - they are only a few quid . Trained a plumber and seen lots wrong in people’s houses . My mistresses house is a classic of done wrong . No vent on the only soil pipe to the roof in the house
you would still need to turn the water off to fit it though

Back
Top Bottom