What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress I bought Fishtales.

VW Lee

Site Supporter
So at the weekend I bought Fishtales.
It was very dusty and dirty hadnt been played for a long while. Ive gave it a good clean and had a few games.
Left flipper was sticking so stripped and cleaned both. Cleaned terminals on batterys ( even though they where new wasnt saving data. )
All in aall thems the only faults with it so far. Im gonna play as is until I buy bits and bobs to do it up.
I have new decals to go on. I take it its best to remove all the old ones and not replace new over the top of them.
The playfield is dull with the lamps that are in, First thing I would like to do is upgrade to LED's. Any advise on them would be great.
Ill be having a read of the posts of restos for any tips and ideas.
Im looking forward to tinkering on with it and learn as I go.

Cheers Lee.20220129_193058.jpg20220129_193058.jpg

Hi. Fish Tales is a great refurb candidate. Nothing particularly nasty or problematic to deal with.

You definitely need to remove the old decals before you apply new ones. Do your research as a decal job is all about preparation. The slightest flaw will be really evident when you apply the new artwork.

It is hard to see flaws in the plywood, so priming with acrylic spray paint makes a lot of sense. But when you prime the water raises the grain ! So there is a lot of sanding and filling involved.

Be very careful with the start button as the coin door decal location is absolutely critical on a fish tales.

Lots of folk led games. I chose not to led my fish tales. With clean bulbs and clean inserts you might be pleasantly surprised. Just try cleaning a few and see what you think before you go all in on LEDs.

The old bulbs and undersides of the inserts are probably dusty and nicotine stained - isopropyl alcohol will clean them.

The game is designed to have variable levels of brightness using filament bulbs - with LEDs you usually just get really bright and you lose this subtlety.

Hi. Fish Tales is a great refurb candidate. Nothing particularly nasty or problematic to deal with.

You definitely need to remove the old decals before you apply new ones. Do your research as a decal job is all about preparation. The slightest flaw will be really evident when you apply the new artwork.

It is hard to see flaws in the plywood, so priming with acrylic spray paint makes a lot of sense. But when you prime the water raises the grain ! So there is a lot of sanding and filling involved.

Be very careful with the start button as the coin door decal location is absolutely critical on a fish tales.

Lots of folk led games. I chose not to led my fish tales. With clean bulbs and clean inserts you might be pleasantly surprised. Just try cleaning a few and see what you think before you go all in on LEDs.

The old bulbs and undersides of the inserts are probably dusty and nicotine stained - isopropyl alcohol will clean them.

The game is designed to have variable levels of brightness using filament bulbs - with LEDs you usually just get really bright and you lose this subtlety.
Thanks. Ill clean them at weekend and give it a try. Be awhile before im ready to fit decals, I know a lad who does it on cars ill prob ask him if he can do it.

There is a few conversations I’ve read in various places about putting new decals on some people think as long as the ones underneath are smooth without blemishes cracks parts missing etc you should be fine to do that,

Certainly research it some more, with the cars they wrap on top of wrap if it’s good enough wrap,

Last edited:
There is a few conversations I’ve read in various places about putting new decals on some people think as long as the ones underneath are smooth without blemishes cracks parts missing etc you should be fine to do that,

Certainly research it some more put on a show with the cars they wrap on top of wrap if it’s good enough.
These are in good knick, apart from really faded. Only real damage is where the legs go. Im gonna have a good read about it.

These are in good knick, apart from really faded. Only real damage is where the legs go. Im gonna have a good read about it.
Fit some of the cab leg protectors once you have fitted the new decals to avoid rippling

Reactions: DRD
Back
Top Bottom