What's new

i borrowed an ipad, can i play my iphone purchases on it?

cooldan

i like pizza
i borrowed an ipad2 because i'll be out in Asia for nearly six weeks soon, and wanted to be able to

(1) see my baby by Skype for 2 weeks in the middle while me n the wife are out in Japan for a fortnight, while baby stays with his grandma in Taipei
(2) play TPA (ThePinballArcade) on it. i have this on my iphone and have bought all the tables, does this mean i can play them all on the borrowed ipad without having to pay for them all over again?

hopefully Skype will simply be a case of signing in, but what about the apps from the app store? do i log in with my apple ID? will this try to install all my other apps on my friend's ipad?

any and all tech help gratefully welcomed

Dan

In theory any App you've paid for previously should load onto the borrowed iPad with no issues.

But the issue is that an IOS device can only be associated with a single account and changing it will (I think) wipe any Apps that were bought by the previous user.

If you want to be 100% sure i'd highly recommend the person loaning you it takes a full backup of the device first. Once they've done that then just factory reset it and configure it as if it's your own - then re-download the Apps needed. When you give them it back they can just restore from their backup.

thanks for the tip. and if i do that, will it be free to download all my iphone bought apps onto it?

Yep - pretty sure that's the case.

I did an, erm, accidental IOS upgrade on my iPad 3 a few weeks back and it wiped the bloody lot. When I re-entered my details during the installation again it then let me go into the App Store and re-download the stuff i'd paid for. Then when opening Pinball Arcade just select the option to restore In-App Purchases and your tables should re-appear.

Don't forget to open each table at least once though as it needs to download them - I made that mistake before flying to Denmark a few weeks back and was gutted to not get my in-flight Pinball fix.

i currently use IOS 6.1.3 and i have sh_itloads of problems with my iphone - it is constantly saying 'no service' or 'searching' even when it's at home in my house where i usually have good wifi and a strong phone signal. it regularly cancels calls i try to make, and when people call me it puts them straight to answerphone and then sends me a text a while later to say someone called. it's great as a toy but basically ******** as a phone. i blame the new IOS as it used to be ok.

so do i keep IOS 5 if i buy myself a new one?

Current Lineup: FNOES, AFM, SnS, FG, TS (for sale 1850)
In lockup as no space: SS, STTNG (not for sale, this was my first and i paid double)

All the above may be missing on your return given we now know you're away for six weeks. Anyone got a van for hire? Hell, we can do it in a small car and just move 1 a week;). On second thoughts might leave you with freddy

Dan,

On the ipad click on App Store

Click on 'featured' at the bottom of the screen

scroll to the bottom, you should see 'Apple id :joe.bloggs.mac.com' or 'sign in' click on users name and then sign out

then click on 'sign in' and enter your Apple id.

Depending on how you have your account set up it may start populating your ipad or you may have to browse for the apps, if you have to browse for the apps they should say 'install' rather than 'buy' (indicating you have already purchassed them)

I have pinball arcade installed on both my phone and ipad with no real problems.

.... Pinball arcade might actually require you to install the ipad version of the app (free) and then restore all you purchases from within the app. I remember there was something not just straightforward about it but easily enough fixed

Apple products are notoriously "locked in" with accounts and the like.

If you sync the iPad on your computer to your iTunes
Account, music, apps and the like, you will essentially become its "owner" and it will wipe everything of its actual owners off the device.

When you give it back, he/she will then do the same.

But Iproduct issues are relative, and the cleverer among us may have work arounds.

So don't quote me on this, but as far as I'm aware, you can't put your stuff in without wiping theirs off. Which I'm sure they'll have backed up on their computer anywhoo.

Basically echoing wired worms post.

Sent from my militant iPad.

Back
Top Bottom