What's new

Hyperspin.

Sounduser

Registered
What's the deal with hyperspin?
Are the hard drives on ebay worth buying?
I want to get a button set to playwright and see if I want to make a full sized cabinet?

I've got a drive which i'm currently setting up with HyperSpin. Can't remember the size; it's either 3TB or 4TB and i'm slowly gathering together all the various files needed.

Basically Hyperspin is just a front end but they also publish XML lists which can be used to populate the menus. It also has some nice little tools such as HyperSync which will automatically link to EmuMovies and HyperBase to download the latest art files and video previews. I think to use some of the features you need to pay for a EmuMovies account though (think it's about £10 for the year).

It's a bit of a faff setting it all up so the hard drives on eBay might be worth having; but if i'm honest I've never bought one so I can't say for sure. I don't have room for a cab right now but my objective long term is to build one that can emulate most platforms from the early ATARI all the way up to Gamecube. No idea when it'll happen though as I've got too much on the go as it is and a lack of space right now. Most likely i'll pick it up once we've got moved.

If there's anything you need help with then feel free to drop me a PM. If you want a copy of what I've got thus far then you could easily post me a drive or send me funds to pick one up for you and I could copy the lot across and send it over.

Cool. So I could make a cab that is basically like a big pc controller? With a monitor.
Are you using a pc?

I need to buy a PC with a bit more oomph in order to get the Gamecube stuff running at full lick. For the moment i've been prototyping the setup using an old laptop.

For the controller i've built myself an arcade stick using parts from Arcade World which then hook up to an iPac. That allows me to then interface the stick to the PC via USB. It works really well for MAME but one of the reasons i'm taking my time over this is because I want to try to give the best possible controls where possible.

Keep in mind, for example, that although a digital stick works well for MAME it's pretty much useless for playing N64 games. I've managed to accumulate all sorts of adapters over the years so part of the challenge for me is to provide the ability to use the right controls for each platform. I've got a Wavebird for the Gamecube too so one option might be to just use that for N64 too as it's wireless and will prevent the need for me to faff around with wired controllers.

But yeah, HyperSpin is just a very nice front end to all sorts of other emulators. You can find the list of supported platforms here and it includes some hidden gems like Daphne (for LaserDisc games such as Space Ace and Dragons Lair) and American Laser Games (Mad Dog McCree and Who Shot Johnny Rock). I've not tried to get all of the systems working as yet but i've certainly covered the main ones. If you want then I can send you a list over of what i've currently got in place.

Hi
On my arcade I use hyperspin for my frontend in the cabinet is just an upgraded PC with a touchscreen monitor and everything run through an ipac which is a must I think makes everything so much easier got loads of emu on it also got n64 but hit a problem with configuring buttons on that started to mess up everything so left it alone so will be interested if you get this working also with the GameCube,got a friend who is clued up better than me helped with the hardrive but nothing been changed on it for the last four years if you want a copy of the hardrive that's not a problem,the aimtrak light gun was a bit of pest to set up back then might be easier now can't beat playing carnevil and area51.

Cheers brian.

There's a couple of other controller options that might work with the N64 emulator.

PS4/PS3 Controller can be used with a PC if you have a bluetooth receiver on the PC
Xbox 360 Controller can be used either via USB cable or wirelessly if you get a 360 wifi dongle. I've actually tested this setup and it worked perfectly, although you obviously have to remap the controls slightly differently.

hyperspin is pretty cool but can be fiddly to get things right so getting something that starts you off is worth considering.

That's great to hear another emu that we struggled with was Naomi got some of the games to work not all,daphne was a pest also but eventually got that running about 90% would be interested in a copy of your hardrive when you get it finalised as I said mine hasn't changed in about four years so it might be behind the times now might be missing out on a few good games as you said above American laser games and cave games.

Cheers brian.

Hyper spin is cool, I could clone you a disk ready to go if want

Back
Top Bottom