What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to test a coil?

Jonwolf

Registered
Ok, I have watched a very useful vid that tells me what to do but...

I know I should select ohms on my multimeter, but it gives me a choice of 200,2000,20k and 200k

Daft question: Which setting do I need ?

Hoping someone can help

Thanks Kevlar

Tested all coils and they are all good (I think) as I never got a reading below 5.

I was half hoping I would find a bad un, then I would know where the darn problem is !

I had a coil playing up that measured OK but didn't work properly when energized. If you can easily then swap two same coils over to observe the result of what you're trouble shooting. I've found that bad measurements are useful when testing components proving that they're bad but good measurements not necessarily proving the opposite.

The problem I am trying to sort is a fuse blowing. Maybe I should start a new thread, as it is bigger than just coil testing.

I'm a newbie to the forum and you've probably guessed that I'm new at diagnosing pinball problems - and that's putting it kindly - I'm pretty bloody clueless ;-)

A fuse and transistor blowing was my problem ultimately caused by a coil. Yes name the machine and as much detail as to what is failing and the guys on here will help you.

Back
Top Bottom