What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to patch up playfield artwork?

AlanJ

Site Supporter
Alias
Alan
looking for advice on how to touch this up?

could i print a decal and attach over the missing art?

439f2a1c646be1a7c64c1f22d79a4e89.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put a ruler next to the graphic and take a photo . Find a local print shop who will vectorise the image . It’s a really simple thing for them to do , go in a few shops and one will be able to do it

Once the image is vectorised (agreed relatively simple with the right software), what do you ask the print shop to do with the image? I struggle to find a place that can create water transfer or decals.

Any examples would be very helpful.

Never found anyone who did water transfers myself , I simply get it printed to a sticker . Bigger places would laminate the sticker or simply put Mylar on . I get only get them done and then put eight coats of clear during a full restoration to protect but in this case it’s a sticking plaster solution required . Either way ring around . Get the art done and then see what u want to do with it. My daughter does mine so come back if really stuck

You can simply buy a sheet of white water slide paper and simply print a colour copy onto it but they always seem flimsy and transparent to me so never gone in this direction myself

Clear is only for inserts it would have to be white but again make sure it’s printed extra thick as they seem transparent to me to a degree . Again sort the art and then it’s easy enough to get it printed or try the slide

Never found anyone who did water transfers myself , I simply get it printed to a sticker . Bigger places would laminate the sticker or simply put Mylar on . I get only get them done and then put eight coats of clear during a full restoration to protect but in this case it’s a sticking plaster solution required . Either way ring around . Get the art done and then see what u want to do with it. My daughter does mine so come back if really stuck
Any recommendations for clearcoat products and how to apply it to a playfield?

Thanks

Ive seen they do white or clear water slide paper - which would work best do you think?
I've tried both (white and transparent - my printer doesnt print white, and the section of playfield wasnt over an insert) - but the colour doesn't seem to come out right on either, it gets very washed out. I tried the laser printer version - and with my laser printer it didnt work very well. I may try a professional print shop with the same product.

Put a ruler next to the graphic and take a photo . Find a local print shop who will vectorise the image . It’s a really simple thing for them to do , go in a few shops and one will be able to do it

I've also used https://www.fiverr.com/ before to get vectored images done, which is like a marketplace for graphic designers, and is super slick. I had all the apron decals on creech done, plus a bunch of other stuff, and it cost me about 15 quid.

Used these guys - https://www.fiverr.com/thelionstudio

Will definitely do it this way next time too.

Any recommendations for clearcoat products and how to apply it to a playfield?

Thanks
No worries, others on here may give better water slide colour advise

I would not do it in such an obvious location with a slide and try to clear it, it would look awful and stick out like a sore thumb . A sticker would be smooth and invisible in my opinion rather than brushed on uneven clear

@Moonbus This post gave me the kick to attempt a playfield restore...

Would really like to hear which printer and decal product you used to get the quality prints you achieved - do you mind sharing some details?

I work in a school so I have access to bad ass laser printers.
The waterslide paper all came from mrDecalPaper on ebay or amazon, quality seemed to change from pack to pack. On some of the areas I had to double up the decals to get the colour coverage.

Me, I'd touch it up with paint. I know that's not an easy one for everyone but still I'd consider it were I you.
One of the benefits of using paint is you can build up a low spot where a chip was.

Good luck with your mission if you choose to accept it.

Back
Top Bottom