What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Many Balls?

The Wraith

Registered
Mine and my mates machines are set to five balls and although I know it's a personal choice, is it considered bad pinball etiquette?
To be honest, I'd score pretty badly if it was down to three, my "one good ball" comes late if it comes at all.(that sounds like a realy bad love song)
I assume most tournaments are held using three balls and the machines in my local wild are all three ballers, so what's your ball situation out there?

Always 3 ball for me. I like to keep the games as challenging as possible in the home environment otherwise you can get bored with them quickly.

Also, anything higher just feels like cheating. ;)

It's all down to getting the difficulty right for me. By that I like to have it so that "completing the game" (i.e. getting the final wizard mode) takes me 200-250 ish plays, so that I don't get bored of my tables too quickly. With most games it is 3 ball. Elvis and Champ pub I had to up to 4 ball as they are damn hard on the settings I have them

3 Ball for me always. 5 ball for multi-player is too long for me and when I'm playing pinball alone I just like my games to be short. Maybe it's because I like to: try to beat the last score, try to beat the last score, try to beat...

3balls. Keeps it challenging, and often very frustrating. Especially getting close to LITZ on my last ball, then it goes bounding off a pop bumper and down the left drain... I've not disabled buy-in yet, but luckily I have enough restraint not to use it. It's good for others who aren't so bothered about the wrongness of buy-in and they get their own 'cheaters' high score table ;)

Only game Ive ever set to 5 balls was WH2O. And thats because the games lasted less than 60 seconds on 3 ball!

3 balls but I switch specials into giving extra balls instead.

<edit> Replays are switched off.

Last edited:
4 balls with extra balls on and replays to EBs.

Maybe if I get more hardcore I'll tone it down but I think this gives everyone a decent game time when my mates come round to play :)

3 balls as standard.
IJ hasn't had the buy extra ball button disabled because it lets other people have the option.
CFTBL had replay reward an extra ball when it was used at my wedding and I left it on. This was to get people to be able to play more. My high score (before Dan smashed it) was done on three balls.

Keep it a challange, 3 Ball games keep you coming back for more. Just like the arcades and pubs had there machines set to.

OK, I'll own up. 5 balls all the way for me, at least i can usually get 1 multiball going per game and feel as if I'm getting partway through the different challenges. If I actually complete a game then I'll move it down but for now it's 5 balls. I'm having fun so hey ho, who cares.

Got to admit that this makes me feel like a fraud. Like I said, I know its preference but when my high scores are based on playing two balls more than most it kinda makes it seem a little hollow.
Gonna have to switch down if my mates up for it, he's the one with the highest scores though so can't see him being to keen to wipe them off, not that i'm saying he's in any way competitive :rolleyes:

As im rubbish 4 balls. Same as a league meet, where im usually near the bottom lol

Back
Top Bottom