What's new

Hooking up a Stern DMD (not colour) to use with PinMAME/Visual Pinball ; difficult?

Den - aka Wolfgang

Site Supporter
Hi all,
Does anyone have experience with hooking up a Stern DMD (from a SAM game) to a pc to use with Visual Pinball/PinMAME?

My current VPX set up involved hooking up 2 monitors; one (in portrait) for the Playfield and a 2nd for backglass/DMD, however I'd love to be able to do away with having to plug in a 2nd monitor for DMD/Backglass and just use my 2nd GPU out to connect to a real DMD (not sure if this would cause any issues not having backglass displayed, although it would still be running in the background?)

I have a pindmd PCB somewhere that @russdx1 designs - goes from USB to the DMD and was made for old plasma displays.
Obviously you need to just power up the DMD and use this board if I can find it.....

I have a pindmd PCB somewhere that @russdx1 designs - goes from USB to the DMD and was made for old plasma displays.
Obviously you need to just power up the DMD and use this board if I can find it.....
Cool beans :thumbs: Just about to post in the What's it worth thread re; how much a DMD is worthto see if it's worth just selling to recoup the expensive price colour DMDs are going for now.

@Den - aka Wolfgang - The bad news is it is not in my vpin parts crate, I did offer it Russ but he wasnt bothered - so I think when I had a tidy up a few months ago it probably was chucked out in the 'I will never use that again' pile.

Truthfully they did not last long as soon as the LED panels used in pin2dmd/pindmd3/colorDMD came around.

I would advise on adding one of these:

£140 and get some money back on your Stern one. Still got to be worth a few £

I bought something very similar to use in my latest MAME cab build.
Note the flat pack cab on a build schedule won’t arrive for 2 weeks so this is the workstation I’ve set up to get everything working as it should to just drop in when it’s eventually built.
Until now I used to hand build all my own cabs but time and effort outweighs the cost you can get nice enough ones now I can customise to my liking.

I only paid £75 for 2 of these and they are super nice 1680 x 384 panels.

878C6E52-8237-4931-A936-4130684DEA65.jpegView attachment IMG_0131.MOV

I bought mine a couple month ago off a dude on eBay he had **** loads of them.

Know him well

I paid a lot more than this as he later on bought rakes of machines with them and strip them down

F587D2C0-80F7-4CC9-9E38-90B2F2B5B4A2.png

But they dont fit between speakers in vpins!

I think this is the guy I bought mine from although they were cheaper than that.

I bought something very similar to use in my latest MAME cab build.
Note the flat pack cab on a build schedule won’t arrive for 2 weeks so this is the workstation I’ve set up to get everything working as it should to just drop in when it’s eventually built.
Until now I used to hand build all my own cabs but time and effort outweighs the cost you can get nice enough ones now I can customise to my liking.

I only paid £75 for 2 of these and they are super nice 1680 x 384 panels.

View attachment 198576View attachment 198577
Looks like a really nice setup Col. I’ll quiz you on how you did that… once pinshed is built…

I contacted the guy following your post (Thanks Phil for the pic!).... Had to go to Brum today so popped in to see him.... Displays are ace! So much so... picked up a few!

Warning - he currently has less than 50 left, so if you are interested grab one from him now, as there are no guarantees there will be any more (Were stripped from a betting companies FOBT machines)..
He sold 6 yesterday, and another 2 today!

Now to work out where i'm going to use them!! :) I'm sure i can get one working on my Dino King Cab as they look about the right size...

Looks like a really nice setup Col. I’ll quiz you on how you did that… once pinshed is built…
Pop in next time you up the genuine proper north for a catchup😝
My cab build will hopefully get underway soon I'm just waiting on delivery of the necessary bits and bobs

Back
Top Bottom