What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Insurance

Jagspete

Registered
Alias
Aka Pete
Just had renewal thru for £2700 for our 6 bed old farmhouse, from NFU, i've found somewhere a grand cheaper with Homeprotect, but wondering what value contents should be, we don't have fancy stuff, no svvanky bikes(ours came from local tip) or jewellery. Figure here is £145,000- having not bought anything new for so long (our tvs are hand me downs) I.m wondering if this is realistic to replace a household. A friend once used a comparision site to renew hers and hadn't realised the figure entered was £10,000 instead of £100.000, fast forward to a lamp setting her hall on fire and smoke damaging the entire house, the insurers wouldn't pay out as she'd undervalued the contents.

Last edited:
£145,000 sounds like a lot to me, but I dont know whay you have in your house. Also assuming anything over a certain value £1000? has to be declared.
Does content cover include carpets and wallpaper/paint etc or is that covered by building insurance.
Guess you would have to work out yourself what all you content adds up to like cloths TVs, computers, Sofas, Beds, Bedding, Mattresses, wardrobes, and you would need to know whats not covered by the building side, its not something Ive ever considered but would expect building cover to include wall coverings, kitchen cupboards, carpets/flooring etc.

I’m with HomeProtect, 5 bed house with 4 pins itemised was £626 last year. Just had renewals quote of £1450 from GoCompare and £950 from CompareTheMarket (which was also HomeProtect)! 😳

Used online chat to ask HomeProtect for a renewal figure and weirdly they quote £760…. thought I’d cheekily complain that it was more than last year and it dropped to £705.

Scary how much insurance seems to be increasing in general ☹️

How insurance companies expect the man/woman/other in the street to know what the entire contents of their household are worth or how much it would cost to rebuild their house is beyond me.

I recently went with MoreThan and the only high value items I had to individually list were jewellery, watches, gold, silver and platinum. I specifically asked them about Pinball machines and they fall under general contents which is enough for my 2 Pins.

Last edited:
I had the same with high value items. They weren't fussed on listing the pins as they fall under the general contents. It was smaller valuable items which could easily be stolen that they were interested in.

I had the same with high value items. They weren't fussed on listing the pins as they fall under the general contents. It was smaller valuable items which could easily be stolen that they were interested in.
Double check as it is often no single item over 2k.

Just had contents insurance (dont need buildings as I rent).
Put my record collection down for £6K
Put my jukebox down to £10K
Insured £50K to 'replace everything I own' in the house.
Obviously have no issues with pins being in the house as I do not have the room now.
But that is £65 a year.

Looks like the figures NFU were using for me are overinflated, I’ve renewed now for a grand cheaper with home protect at 1800 but will be reassessing figures and making notes for next year

Back
Top Bottom