What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home/Gamesroom Automation

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
So in the new gamesroom am looking at automation using such things as Sonoff wireless switches, along with things like Temperature controlled heaters. One thing i noticed was that these tend to link back to one of two mainstream apps - Smart life and eWe link. Which is an annoyance, as they are two different aps (and i prefer evberything all in one place!). These then feed into alexa for vocal automation.

Which set me thinking. Issues with Alexa, no network access and you are left high and dry...

So - then started looking at something called "home assistant" (https://www.home-assistant.io/). This looks like it integrates with your devices locally, and also allows connection to alexa for voice automation.

Anyone been through this Maze before? Any suggestions?

Loved mine in my old one... however not sure wether i will on this one as it's in a sheltered spot... So probably wont need it in this...

For use as a heater too ? Virtually all AC units are now inverter heat pumps. We dispensed with radiators and stove in our loungs, thanks to the inverter ac unit. I suspect that it will get far more use as a heater.

These things can be connected to web apps if you are so minded. I just use the inbuilt timer

So in the new gamesroom am looking at automation using such things as Sonoff wireless switches, along with things like Temperature controlled heaters. One thing i noticed was that these tend to link back to one of two mainstream apps - Smart life and eWe link. Which is an annoyance, as they are two different aps (and i prefer evberything all in one place!). These then feed into alexa for vocal automation.

Which set me thinking. Issues with Alexa, no network access and you are left high and dry...

So - then started looking at something called "home assistant" (https://www.home-assistant.io/). This looks like it integrates with your devices locally, and also allows connection to alexa for voice automation.

Anyone been through this Maze before? Any suggestions?

Done quite a bit of this Paul. I’d recommend a raspberry pi with Node-red and MQTT. It’s quite simple and easy to configure. Works well with Sonoff devices. I reflashed the sonoff devices with TASMOTA firmware - gives complete control then as you describe. Especially when you get the temp/humidity sensors with the relays.

Happy to share more experience if it’s the sort of thing you’d be interested in.

Done quite a bit of this Paul. I’d recommend a raspberry pi with Node-red and MQTT. It’s quite simple and easy to configure. Works well with Sonoff devices. I reflashed the sonoff devices with TASMOTA firmware - gives complete control then as you describe. Especially when you get the temp/humidity sensors with the relays.

Happy to share more experience if it’s the sort of thing you’d be interested in.

Deffo @MadNat - Please!! Have been reading up about Tasmota... and Sonoff definately the make of choice, only because they are cheap and cheerful... however also have some others thrown into the mix... Important is the ability to access through one place, to tie into something like alexa or Google, and obviously still be able to control when the net dies :D

Pi is perfect as i have a few kicking about and a little experience (not as much as i would like though!)

Can you suggest any "light" reading to start around the subject in general? My networking skills are good (CCNA)... However to be fair i like something graphical and easy on the eye on a day-day :)

for me using arduino and have built a bridge to alexa so i can now use alexa to turn on and off non alexa devices. i’m my case really old tech x10 dimmer lights that are installed throughout my house.

i personally never bothered with hacking sonoff as they talk to alexa anyway and have their own app so i didn’t really need to write another app, but yes you can. i have tplink and other switches too so i’m not even 100% sonoff, so that was another reason why not.

i also used arduino and mqtt to control all the playfields i have lit up on my ceiling. i could have linked these to alexa too but instead i just created a simple webserver on the arduino itself. this then uses mqtt to talk to the 24 playfields on the ceiling. by writing my own webpage i can control anything. also i needed more control than simple alexa commands.
if you are interested in the arduino route i can recommend some libraries to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off topic really bit I programmed Forbidden Planet to control the room lights. There's quite a lot out there to go it alone but will always need a network connection.

Node-Red is all graphical, and integrates with Alexa. What I like about Node-Red and MQTT (with TASTMOTA enabled devices) is that it gives you a lot of control, and integration across a very large range of tech, so as your needs change its easy to adapt. Things like turning switches on or responding to a reading (temp/light) are very basic and easy. You can get more sophisticated as your needs change.

This guys videos are very good.

There are literally thousands of bloggers and YouTubers that talk about home IoT (Internet of Things), which typically means home automation using Node-Red and MQTT. I enjoy reading Pete Scargill's stuff (because he's very practical) https://tech.scargill.net/new-visitors/.

Hope this helps - give me a shout if you need some specific help.

Back
Top Bottom