What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hip Replacement

Calimori

Staff member
Alias
Calimori
Has anyone any experience of a hip replacement, especially in a reasonably healthy 40 year old?

I have always had back issues since a stupid incident in my teens so pain around that area was normal. It turns out that my hips were always prone to wear out and it is unlikely that I escalated this with anything. The right side is just first to get so bad I had them examined.

Looking for anything to plan for and think about before.

Not personal experience, but M-i-L experience - and she was going on 70 when she needed it, so it may not apply, but she put it off & put it off, then there was a long waiting list, and by the time she had it done, she never got full mobility back before the other one needed doing (which she put off etc as before) & has never really walked much since just before the first op - over 18 years ago. The young age (and your personal outlook on life & what you want to do, plus level of immobility) may make this irrelevant - take this as information not advice. The ops stopped the pain, but the delay screwed the mobility.

Good advice. I know this is hindering movement and I feel I have a good chance and motivation to get mobility back. I need to set my expectations though, as i have no experience at all.

My Mate / work team mate ( we are both Joiner's ) he had a completely new hip at the age of 49 ,he is now 51 and plays table tennis for a local team . He was in agony and popping pills like Smarties .Now he is perfect good health . Hope this helps .

Mate got both his done in his early 40s (used to play water polo, apparently that’s a common Injury with the sport

hes in his later 60s now and still swims and is fitter and more agile than me nearly 20 years his junior... he’s an advert for hip replacements in my book

Mate got both his done in his early 40s (used to play water polo, apparently that’s a common Injury with the sport

hes in his later 60s now and still swims and is fitter and more agile than me nearly 20 years his junior... he’s an advert for hip replacements in my book
Sounds like I need a hip replacement and I never knew I did.

My sister was born with dislocated hips and was in plaster to put right for the first 18months of her life. She was fine until her thirties but then started to get problems. She ended up having to have both replaced privately when she was 39 as nhs wouldn’t do anything at young age. Best thing she ever done. She is just gutted she waited so long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good man and make sure you are off work for the 3 months if you are in manual work :thumbs:

Just to confuse the matter my other mate who is a tiler , he had both hips done with a different technique .He had metal caps fitted and swears blind by it ,he had it done about 5years ago . At the time I remember him saying a lot of surgeons have stopped doing them this way as they can be more problematic when they wear down , like metal filings .

I had one at 22 after a big accident which hasn't caused me any issues 13 years later. I'm probably not the best example as I broke my back, pelvis and femur among other things at the same time!

A chap at work in his late 30s had his done last year and was back in the office within a couple of weeks and was back playing Gaelic football within 6 months. He bought a cheap treadmill second hand off facebook and walked 5km a day soon as he was able then built up from there.

I have far from a manual job and can WFH 100% so hope to get back to that after a few weeks but looking to set my expectations of that is realistic

I was thinking what exercises will help at home to speed things up without pushing too far. I will be getting more information on that side before the op.

Thanks folks.

My missus had hers done at 49 , 3 years ago. We had lots of tales of people out hiking within a couple of weeks etc. She’s only just stopped complaining about it in the last 6 months, and swears she’d tell people not to do it. It all went well but they made her leg longer( deliberately for her to prevent dislocation) and this annoys her. It has got rid of the pain she had in worn down/damaged joint. But she did hobble for best part of 2 years after. don’t expect a quick revovery, although she was able to move around confidently but cautiously within a month. I also think it’s down to your attitude and general health and fitness . When I mentioned your post she said make sure you stress you want both legs the same length, genuinely get a chair commode as you can’t move fast at night! We also bought a ‘ grandma chair’ high back, armrests, high seat as you’re not supposed to go beyond 90 degrees when you sit down(comfiest seat in house everybody still fights over it for tv) Zimmer frame (really!)and shower seat, plus booster seat /frame for sit down toileting(90 degree) All makes life easier, saves someone rushing out afterwards and all can be picked up 2nd hand / flea markets

Thank you and please thank your wife for that information. My consultant has already mentioned the leg issues. The one they will do first is already the longer one, and the other hip will need doing in the coming years, so it sounds like I will feel that effect but may come out taller in the end. ;)

We have a few single seaters that sounds suitable from that description, so I plan to set one up. I have never liked sofas that try to swallow you either but if they are a problem, I can move to the snug with the high backs.

I have a plan for one of the toilets so best to fix it now

What sort of symptoms do you have? I started questioning if I might need a hip replacement but dismissed it as sciatica due to still being in my 40’s. But the constant dull pain doesn’t seem to be going away.

I have sciatica too, and a nerve impingement cursed by a disc protrusion. Regular deep and dull pain across my back.
But there is a deep pain in the hip and movement is extremely limited and uncomfortable. I have flare ups where my leg feels weak and like it will give way even though I personally could ignore the pain. I was seeing a physio for the back and when the back was good, the hip was still playing up.
The x-rays and MRI show the gap in the joint has gone and things are wearing away.

I don’t have any weakness in my leg, just a numb pain in my left hip. I do wonder how much of mine is in my mind. After I posted that comment it became extremely uncomfortable to walk on that leg until I got distracted working on the machines. Mine is worse when I’m sitting in a ‘comfy chair’ or lying on my side in bed. I even bought a pregnancy pillow recently to reduce the pain in bed. I’d recommend one of those.

Then I recommend you go get that checked out as it matches a few of the things I recognise. No harm in at least checking.

3 1/2 week update.
I will keep the details light for I know some people are squeamish.

I was called up and offered a quick slot privately so had the operation on the evening of the 14th September (Monday). Both the surgeon and the anesthetist were know and have worked with a close family member so I took their advice and went with a epidural and no sedation rather than general anesthetic to reduce complications. I was well aware of what the operation entailed and so wasn't phased by what I could hear and feel but would say it was pretty brutal.
The combined effect of the epidural, loss of blood and a fairing aggressive operation means you feel pretty rough through the night and next day. Pain management is so important so you can rest and exercise but medication was making me faint.
I was on a zimmer frame the day after the operation and full weight baring immediately. And yes, it feels like your leg is longer but x-rays show it should be pretty much in the same place.
I was on crutches on the second day and walking stairs slowly. They sent me home on the third day, Thursday. The car journey was uncomfortable, the walk with crutches to the house from the car was exhausting. My leg was still swollen and very heavy, this got better over the next week. My issue was I was increasing my daily exercises with an aggressive view of pushing each day but that fatigued the weakened muscles and made me very uncomfortable or unable to properly move. I slowed it down and lowered my expectations.
We adapted a straight back sitting chair with leg extenders which means I have a place to sit and relax. Normal sofas are not comfortable and can be hard to get out of. Dining chairs were horrible for the first few weeks. I had a toilet seat extender but hated it so only used it a few times. I need to get up and walk at night ever few hours so walking to a toilet has been fine. We have a edwardian style toilet that is quite high so no issue with that one. Other than the crutches and the grabber, I needed no other modifications.

At two weeks the surgeon reviewed me and was very happy and said just carry on walking and moving about, building up each day and let the crutches go when I feel like it.
At 3 1/2 weeks I can walk without crutches about the house and garden but the idea I could go for a 20 minute walk is a way off. Sitting for an hour starts to hurt, lying down for an hour starts to hurt, standing for a while starts to hurt. I don't expect this will stop being the case for a while but I can wash, dry and put my socks on so consider that to be a success.
Yesterday, I worked on a pinball machine so I can't complain, except about the pain, which still needs medication despite my attempts to stop taking it.

If anyone wants more details then PM me.

Holy **** Geoff. Fair play. I’d wanna be out for the count. I’m rubbish with blood and guts. Glad to hear you’re on the mend.
I’ll keep my eyes peeled for a gold wing trike for ya 🤣🤣🤣

I think they keep your expectations high so you don’t bottle out, take it slowly and you get there eventually. Don’t be tempted to try anything ‘normal’ without knowing you’ll pay for it the next day( going shopping, country walk, mowing the grass, even the cinema) best wishes . Pete. Big respect on taking the epidural option.

I've been thinking about the 90-degree thing since before you went in for the op - how on earth do you put your socks on with that constraint?

However you do it, I wish you a speedy return to mobility.

My consultant couldn’t give two hoots about the 90 degrees thing. However, as I recovered, socks on the operated right foot are an issue. The answer was asking my kid to do it. Now I can bend enough to get it on but not when I wake up and am in the most amount of pain.

Wow hip operation without being knocked out your one tough cookie :)

I trusted that the epidural would mean there was no pain and in many cases, no feeling at all. That just left noises and any movement that made it to my upper body which I was ready for.
It allowed me to talk to them and check in immediately after the operation. I appreciate many wouldn’t want to experience most of that but I was more comfortable being aware, it helped me come to terms with what happened.

Back
Top Bottom