What's new

High Speed 2 - The Getaway - needs new code!

lukewells

Registered
So I was playing HS2 alot late last night, and while I think it is a fantastic game, when you have played more than a handful of games on it, you start to notice where it is lacking:-

1) Video mode is pointless and annoying, you can be given it 2-3 times during any game you play and once you learn how to do it you can get 27million every time without fail

2) Red Line Mania is not "mania" enough, infact it is almost the same as Run the Red Light, apart from super jackpot starts with a higher value. It should have been an entirely different mode, not just a rehash of Run The Red Light

3) Both L2 and L5 ROMS have a multiball bug, so you might as well stick with L2 as it has the "Run The Red Light" intense flashing animation, which they anoyingly removed from L5

I think this is a great candidate for a future FreeWPC project, so, assuming that the core gameplay remains the same...

a) Would you change Run the Red Light or Redline Mania to make it different

b) What ruleset would you give to the new mode?

c) Are there any other new features / modes that you can see that would add in nicely with the existing playfield layout?

d) What would you do with the pointless video mode?

I'm not sure if it's a bug or a hardware fault, but when you hit the right loop with the ramp down, it should always lift to allow the ball the continue around for another shot at the right loop - I can always predict when the ramp won't lift and the ball gets stuck. Can't remember the exact sequence of events but I know it's completely predictable so making me think it's a software issue.

Apart from that I don't have many complaints about the game - video mode is very easy as discussed.

I'm not sure if it's a bug or a hardware fault, but when you hit the right loop with the ramp down, it should always lift to allow the ball the continue around for another shot at the right loop - I can always predict when the ramp won't lift and the ball gets stuck. Can't remember the exact sequence of events but I know it's completely predictable so making me think it's a software issue.

Apart from that I don't have many complaints about the game - video mode is very easy as discussed.

Which ROM are you running? I've seen the same myself on L2

Which ROM are you running? I've seen the same myself on L2
I'll check another day - it's on it's back at the moment sat in the corner.

There's an L3 rom on IPDB - is that worth going for instead of L5?

So I was playing HS2 alot late last night, and while I think it is a fantastic game, when you have played more than a handful of games on it, you start to notice where it is lacking:-

1) Video mode is pointless and annoying, you can be given it 2-3 times during any game you play and once you learn how to do it you can get 27million every time without fail

2) Red Line Mania is not "mania" enough, infact it is almost the same as Run the Red Light, apart from super jackpot starts with a higher value. It should have been an entirely different mode, not just a rehash of Run The Red Light

Ermm, most video modes are ****.

Red Line Mania is basically 'everything is lit', hence the multiball, not a multiball itself.

Why on earth would you need to improve on the rules? HS2 is a standard S Richie epilepsy inducing speed romp. Ie Fun without being up it's own ****.

Why on earth would you need to improve on the rules? HS2 is a standard S Richie epilepsy inducing speed romp. Ie Fun without being up it's own ****.

Love HS2, Love Steve Ritchie tables, but it doesn't change the fact that when you play 10 games in a row, doing the video mode 20-30 times bores the crap out of you and is wasting valuable pinball time, and on most games I seem to get Run the Red Light, just before Red Line Mania, so I'm doing the same multi ball with the same objective twice in a row. Wouldn't hurt to get something different in there. This could be a good crowd sourced FreeWPC opportunity :)

Every video mode on home owned pinballs becomes ****e after a while :)

True, though it is less of a problem when there are 3-4 different video modes to actually mix it up a bit. I don't mind the video modes on Indiana Jones for instance, or Black Rose

I love HS2 as it is but would welcome some added depth if some sort of add on came out. Why not?

Regarding video modes, I just realised the 3 sterns I have don't have one, do any sterns have a video mode?

Also RFM doesn't have one ( you could argue that the whole machine is a video mode ) but could have had some really good quick video games thrown in had p2k continued.

Someone should pick this up a p-roc recreate and expand project like i'm doing with indiana jones and whirlwind. Re-coding that supercharger would be sweet

Someone should pick this up a p-roc recreate and expand project like i'm doing with indiana jones and whirlwind. Re-coding that supercharger would be sweet

Good to see someone is trying to change the POS Indian Jones Table. But, please leave Whirlwind alone!!!
=

Ooooooh WW hey Jim. What ideas do you have? I'm a huge WW fanboy and love the rules as they are but would love to see it with dmd animations.

I'm currently looking at what can be done in FreeWPC. P-rocs are fine for higher end tables like IJ, but probably cost prohibitive for a lower priced game like HS2.

I've seen all your p-roc videos, nice work by the way :)

Which ever way you go (P-ROC or FreeWPC), you'd have to reprogram the whole game in order to fix the few bugs/complaints...that'd be quite a large time investment.

I'm currently looking at what can be done in FreeWPC. P-rocs are fine for higher end tables like IJ, but probably cost prohibitive for a lower priced game like HS2.

I would have thought you'd have gone down the decompile/recompile route to fix it :D

Ooooooh WW hey Jim. What ideas do you have? I'm a huge WW fanboy and love the rules as they are but would love to see it with dmd animations.

My projects are a recreate from scratch and then enhance approach. This means whirlwind will remain an alphanumeric game with all the original features, sounds game play but then have some extra/ additional features on top of them. This is also the approach that my friend Eric did for his Cactus Canyon project.

Currently i'm concentrating on getting the game to play as close to the original as possible, but i have added the following extra in

Super Jets (upp er and lower)
Ball Save
Alternative 2 way combos

The auto launcher is being added so that you can auto fire ball saves and also to fix the potential 'ball steal' form mulitplayer ball locks. Obviously there will be a setting to have factory or enhanced.

If you are interested you can follow progress over on the p-roc forum - http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?board=36.0

To be honest the cost of the p-roc is the least of your worries ;) its the multiple years of time investment thats the biggest issue....

If you need a p-roc board then i may be able to lend you one to ;)

Thats a dissambler not a decompliler

I meant one that could make meaningful data out of the code and seperate the data from the code etc (putting into HL)

Also meant free (dont want much)

I don't think we have much chance of getting hold of original code, but hey, if someone wants to give it a shot, I'd be happy to work on it if you can get it. It was Dwight whats-his-name that did HS2.

To be honest the cost of the p-roc is the least of your worries ;) its the multiple years of time investment thats the biggest issue....

If you need a p-roc board then i may be able to lend you one to ;)

That's an awesome offer Jim, I'll see how the FreeWPC route goes first mate :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom