What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help the hobby - Why Pinball is better than Pokemon Go

PeteB

Registered
Alias
Random Username
Ok, let me get one thing out of the way first - I hate Pokemon Go. I hate how the youth of today are so buried in their phones it's turning them all into zombies. They don't even talk to each other. You all know what I mean.

So in an effort to bring more young people into the hobby (and try to wake up some of these zombies) I'm trying to put together a top 10 list of why pinball is better than Pokemon Go. The idea is to distribute it far and wide, and shove it down the throat of anyone who tries to get me to download that stupid game. :D

What I came up with so far:

10 Reasons Why Pinball is Better than Pokemon Go:

- They exist in the real world, not a virtual one.
- You develop hand-eye coordination skills.
- It keeps you fit, pinball is a full body experience
- When you get board of your game, you can sell it for more than you bought it for.
- You can play a multiplayer game and it encourages you to be social.
- If you break your phone, you can still play pinball.

That's what I've got so far. Any suggestions? I'm sure some of you will have some witty answers! :thumbs:

Whenever we have a gathering at our house, usually (OK not always) everybody ends up in the games room. They're never pushed in that direction, they get there all by themselves.

It's a real ice-breaker for those occasions where people don't quite know each other, a real giggle for those times when everybody's close friends and well lubricated.

Lots of competition. Lots of laughing and shouting at each other over the noise from the machines. Everybody's having fun.

Can't see a Pokemon Go party ending up like that.

How to write that in one line?

Pinballs are party animals!

Whenever we have a gathering at our house, usually (OK not always) everybody ends up in the games room. They're never pushed in that direction, they get there all by themselves.

It's a real ice-breaker for those occasions where people don't quite know each other, a real giggle for those times when everybody's close friends and well lubricated.

Lots of competition. Lots of laughing and shouting at each other over the noise from the machines. Everybody's having fun.

Can't see a Pokemon Go party ending up like that.

How to write that in one line?

Pinballs are party animals!

Love that haha!

I agree it's pretty hard to condense all that awesomeness into one sentance.

In fairness, it's getting them outside rather than being stuck in the house in front of the tv/console.

It'll have died a death by next month never mind October :)
Yep..,. Don't worry about it!

Like most things these days it's only because we get overloaded with it on social media that it seems an issue, it really isn't. Without the news bombardment I'd be blissfully unaware of it. Combined with the fact that everyone has to have an opinion on everything these days, again.,,, social media.

Also worth remembering our parents despair as we spent endless sunny afternoons sat in front of screens playing our C64/Speccy /Atari.

The only tragic side of this is grown adults jumping on it..... Jeezus,, grow up.,,, I'm off to smack a ball around a piece of wood and then maybe a game of Pacman. ;-) That's what adults should be doing.

Ok, let me get one thing out of the way first - I hate Pokemon Go. I hate how the youth of today are so buried in their phones it's turning them all into zombies. They don't even talk to each other. You all know what I mean.

- It keeps you fit, pinball is a full body experience

Are we sure about this one. Every pinball meet I go to is full of athletes at the peak of their physical fitness:rolleyes:

And newsflash, Pete has found something else to hate ;)

Coming soon to a forum near you - the top 10 things Pete hates!

I tried being optimistic once, but I hated that as well.

I've never seen anyone crash their car playing pinball

Epic!

It'll have died a death by next month never mind October :)

I wouldn't be too sure. Flappy Bird was around for quite a while and even after the developer pulled it, all of the clones took off and then slowly faded away.

Are we sure about this one. Every pinball meet I go to is full of athletes at the peak of their physical fitness:rolleyes:

Hey now, lets not put pinball down. At least it gets your body moving lol! Pinball burns calories!

Pokemon would make a good pin, you've got the ball chasing round catching the Pokemon.

It would get the kids into pinball and increase sales of pins in the East, perhaps Stern are already chasing the licence!:tut:

"The youth of today"! Victor
Meldrew has entered the building! ;) LOL.

If people like PGO then let them play it - personally think it's a fad but I suspect other games like it will come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinball only tracks game data & audits, does not track every where you are and take all your details to sell on, etc.

Hi Pete,
Hope this bucks you up a bit...my son and daughter has been into pinball since they were young. They are 18 and 20 now. My daughters friends mostly just like the artwork not playing...but all my sons mates love it...and cannot understand why it died out:hmm:.....bearing in mind they are always on freeplay tables! As for the kids + phones = zombies formula, totally agree with that.......getting the youth of today into pinball is one of the brightest ideas I have heard all year...bravo.. Go Pete...go Pete :clap:

"The youth of today"! Victor
Meldrew has entered the building! ;) LOL.

If people like PGO then let them play it - personally think it's a fad but I suspect other games like it will come.

Victor Meldrew haha! Mate I'm only 31 but here's the super annoying part - I've got friends my age who are obsessed with playing it. Seriously, I just look at them in utter disbelief!

Hi Pete,
Hope this bucks you up a bit...my son and daughter has been into pinball since they were young. They are 18 and 20 now. My daughters friends mostly just like the artwork not playing...but all my sons mates love it...and cannot understand why it died out:hmm:.....bearing in mind they are always on freeplay tables! As for the kids + phones = zombies formula, totally agree with that.......getting the youth of today into pinball is one of the brightest ideas I have heard all year...bravo.. Go Pete...go Pete :clap:

Awesome! Must admit I find it pretty hard to get people interested in pinball. I think the problem is ignorance - they don't understand what it is, don't see how it would be appealing and challenging, so they won't take a look at it. But, as soon as you stand a newbie in front of a pin and actually show them how it works they get addicted to it fast!

I haven't met any person who didn't enjoy pinball once they understood what it actually is.

I haven't met any person who didn't enjoy pinball once they understood what it actually is.

Hmmm. I suspect the vast majority of pin-wives might disagree with this one:rolleyes:. I count myself lucky that Anna tolerates machines coming in. Very occasionally I can get her to play if we have friends coming round but even if we host a meet she won't join in. Indifference is probably the best description. If I'm involved in a fatal car crash I suspect my entire collection will be listed on here before I'm cold:eek:

Compared to video games Pinball rules as just too obscure. They need much easier to understand. And when you think about it what the hell is the deal with the outlines where you will lose the ball when it's no fault of yours Get rid of them. And please get rid of that awful old fashioned DMD, at least on fruit machines it only lasted on one machine.

I bet if there was a Pokemon real pinball table it would sell well as its a new theme not some old fashioned rock band or some other oldies theme.

Btw I am an oldie and hate Pokemon but keeping pinball in the olden days and not moving forward with changes will help kill it off for non home use.

Yes I have friends who love it also and I simply don't it!

Compared to video games Pinball rules as just too obscure. They need much easier to understand. And when you think about it what the hell is the deal with the outlines where you will lose the ball when it's no fault of yours Get rid of them. And please get rid of that awful old fashioned DMD, at least on fruit machines it only lasted on one machine.

I bet if there was a Pokemon real pinball table it would sell well as its a new theme not some old fashioned rock band or some other oldies theme.

Btw I am an oldie and hate Pokemon but keeping pinball in the olden days and not moving forward with changes will help kill it off for non home use.

But is a new theme that appeals to younger people the answer? I was in the arcade at Waterloo yesterday. Prime London location, first week of the school holidays and maybe 10 people in the whole of the place. Lots of games (not pins) with younger orientated themes but no one to play them.

Do young people even go to pubs anymore? I get a very skewed view of teenagers but social media seems to have reduced the need for people to go out. Back in the olden days I'd be in a pub every weekend in order to catch up with people, this doesn't seem to be the norm now.

Also I'm sure a lot of us used to play pins etc while waiting for other people to turn up. This has been replaced by phones.

I think a decent looking screen would help draw a few more people into playing but it's no magic bullet.

There's been too little real innovation in pins since the introduction of DMDs. Pin2000 tried but we've gone backwards since then. A pokemon pin might get a couple of plays but it's not going to be as much fun for kids as running around trying to catch one with your phone. I have zero interest in Pokémon Go (or pretty much any other phone game) but I can see why kids would love it. Oh and it's free. Hours of fun vs having to shell out another pound every few mins....

Pinball is better than Pokemon Go cos you are less likely to get run over by a car

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gave in and downloaded Pokémon Go for my daughter on Saturday. Time she spent playing pinball at yesterdays meet - 20 mins. Time spent running around hunting Pokémon - 10 hours + The younger generation has spoken;)

Not my cup of tea but anything that encourages kids to run around and burn off calories has got to be a good thing. As the dad of a frankly portly sized boy I'm all for this. Looks like we'll be spending hours each day roaming the local neighbourhood catching the little ****ers. With any luck I'll be saying goodbye to my beergut by the end of the summer holidays.
upload_2016-7-25_18-7-47.png

Gave in and downloaded Pokémon Go for my daughter on Saturday. Time she spent playing pinball at yesterdays meet - 20 mins. Time spent running around hunting Pokémon - 10 hours + The younger generation has spoken;)

Not my cup of tea but anything that encourages kids to run around and burn off calories has got to be a good thing. As the dad of a frankly portly sized boy I'm all for this. Looks like we'll be spending hours each day roaming the local neighbourhood catching the little ****ers. With any luck I'll be saying goodbye to my beergut by the end of the summer holidays.
View attachment 33006

F*cks sake, someone has used my picture without permission :mad: .......Alcohol After :D

anything that encourages kids to run around and burn off calories has got to be a good thing.

Hmm, not if it means having their heads buried in a phone and then getting hit by a car! At least when I was young kids used to get hit by a car playing football in the street they were always aware of their surroundings. Pokeybum Go just seems like a disaster waiting to happen. :(

Not directed at PeteB at all but the whole negative media coverage of Pokémon Go and criticism of children/teenagers really pushes my buttons.

We live in a world that seems to delight in reporting negative stories about children. I fully admit to being biased but there is a perception that kids today are far more badly behaved than we ever were :mad:

Really? I grew up with some real ****ers. It wasn't down to video games or video nasties . They were just ****ers. Same as their parents probably were. Playing Pokémon Go is no different to playing Space Invaders, Monopoly or even pinball. It's fun and if they enjoy it then more power to them.

When you see kids who turn up at pinball meets such as Dan, Melissa, the Raison clan etc they are all really nice, well adjusted kids. I'd hope my two would be viewed in the same way even if they are currently addicted to the current Pokémon ********.

I live in an inner city borough and work in another. Some of the kids I meet are little ****s. However, the vast majority are really nice but we never get to hear about that. If I arrange a school trip I have to do a risk assessment. One of the top risks is always verbal and physical assult by adults. Seriously, what kind of ****wit hurls abuse at 14 year old kids or throws stuff at them from cars? However, this happens depressingly often. After the London bombings some people refused to share the same tube carriage as the kids I took out on a school trip.:(

This week I took my two to the local swinning pool in Lewisham. Within 5 mins Matt had met another teenage lad and was playing in the pool and a teenage girl came over and asked if she could help my daughter learn to dive. Nothing especially unusual in that but it goes to show the media's perception of London kids as mini gang members isn't correct.

I've seen my two go through various fads. I've got ****ing buckets of Go-Go, Trash packs, Shopkins etc. I suspect Pokémon Go will go the same way but why do so many people feel the need to knock it? I'm no fan of Tayor Swift etc but I'm pretty certain my parents also hated punk, goth etc.

Sorry gone off at a bit of a tangent..... It's a game played by kids. Maybe I should stop looking at the Daily Mail website:oops:

Not directed at PeteB at all but the whole negative media coverage of Pokémon Go and criticism of children/teenagers really pushes my buttons.

We live in a world that seems to delight in reporting negative stories about children. I fully admit to being biased but there is a perception that kids today are far more badly behaved than we ever were :mad:

Really? I grew up with some real ****ers. It wasn't down to video games or video nasties . They were just ****ers. Same as their parents probably were. Playing Pokémon Go is no different to playing Space Invaders, Monopoly or even pinball. It's fun and if they enjoy it then more power to them.

When you see kids who turn up at pinball meets such as Dan, Melissa, the Raison clan etc they are all really nice, well adjusted kids. I'd hope my two would be viewed in the same way even if they are currently addicted to the current Pokémon ********.

I live in an inner city borough and work in another. Some of the kids I meet are little ****s. However, the vast majority are really nice but we never get to hear about that. If I arrange a school trip I have to do a risk assessment. One of the top risks is always verbal and physical assult by adults. Seriously, what kind of ****wit hurls abuse at 14 year old kids or throws stuff at them from cars? However, this happens depressingly often. After the London bombings some people refused to share the same tube carriage as the kids I took out on a school trip.:(

This week I took my two to the local swinning pool in Lewisham. Within 5 mins Matt had met another teenage lad and was playing in the pool and a teenage girl came over and asked if she could help my daughter learn to dive. Nothing especially unusual in that but it goes to show the media's perception of London kids as mini gang members isn't correct.

I've seen my two go through various fads. I've got ****ing buckets of Go-Go, Trash packs, Shopkins etc. I suspect Pokémon Go will go the same way but why do so many people feel the need to knock it? I'm no fan of Tayor Swift etc but I'm pretty certain my parents also hated punk, goth etc.

Sorry gone off at a bit of a tangent..... It's a game played by kids. Maybe I should stop looking at the Daily Mail website:oops:

Haha! Everyone loves a good rant!

Well, this topic started out as an effort to get more young'uns into pinball by jumping on the latest fad of Pokeybum Go. So far all I've heard is a load of cry babies defending it instead of sticking up for pinball. Therefore I've come to the conclusion that you lot are not my mates and you are not my fellow DJ's. Goodbye forever!

Back
Top Bottom