What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Required with Addams

Brownfools

Registered
Hi all,
I can cope with most faults and repairs BUT this has got me totally stumped.
At the end of a game the right flipper holding coil became permanently energised, followed, seconds later by the left playfield magnet. Turning off the machine obviously releases both of these. As soon as the machine is turned on the left magnet is again energised (before a game is started) but not the right flipper. However, the holding coil becomes energised again as soon as a game is started and the flipper is operated.
Any ideas where I should start?

Thanks for reading.

Firstly, be very careful with the playfield magnets. If they lock on they can cause considerable heat then playfield burn/ discoloration and ruin your playfield. I think you should disconnect that magnet right now and replace with a suitable voltage bulb/ multimeter to tell you when it is energised.

Addams is a fliptronic game so I think that these two issues are probably just a coincidence, not the result of a common fault.

I would check the fliptronic board first. Remove it and see whether there is a blown transistor causing the hold coil to be locked on.

Get that eliminated from enquiries before you look into the magnet

I think the 3 Power magnets are powered by a little board located under the pf with three massive transistors with heat sinks attached. I would think that one of these may be blown

Firstly, be very careful with the playfield magnets. If they lock on they can cause considerable heat then playfield burn/ discoloration and ruin your playfield. I think you should disconnect that magnet right now and replace with a suitable voltage bulb/ multimeter to tell you when it is energised.

Addams is a fliptronic game so I think that these two issues are probably just a coincidence, not the result of a common fault.

I would check the fliptronic board first. Remove it and see whether there is a blown transistor causing the hold coil to be locked on.

Get that eliminated from enquiries before you look into the magnet

I think the 3 Power magnets are powered by a little board located under the pf with three massive transistors with heat sinks attached. I would think that one of these may be blown

Thanks DRD. I had already realised that there was a potential for the magnet to overheat and had popped its connector off. There is no visable damage to components on the flipper board or the magnet control (High Power) board. It's pointless me testing these as I do not have the parts to replace them and my soldering is naff anyway.
I'm based in County Wexford in Ireland, but will be coming over to London in a couple of weeks. If I remove the two suspect boards, is there anyone who could test these boards and carry out ant necessary repairs within striking distance of Hornchurch (East London).
I appreciate that you're probably all at Pinfest today. So please reply when able.
Thanks.

Hello, David,

Addams was the only game produced using the original 'Fliptronic' system, which doesn't have protective tie-back diodes built in. It relies, like the older conventional type, on the diodes fitted to the flipper coils. As a result, failure of a coil diode allows harmful 'back emf' a free run. Check that none of the diodes on the flipper coils have broken (2 on each coil).

re. the magnet; if the transistor on the pcb under the playfield is damaged, the magnet would energise once the power was On, without even waiting for the machine to boot up.

Thanks, Jay! Genius!! One of the diodes is actually missing. A quick search in the bottom of the case revealed it had broken off. The ends are no longer long enough to re-attach it so a replacement will have to be sourced. I'll buy a few spares of those!
Re; the magnet board, No obvious damage there. However (of course) transistor failure does not usually show itself. As I don't trust myself to solder on PCBs, I'm still looking for someone proficient to go to.

Hello again Jay (and others),
Now I've taken the board out all is clear. There was no visible damage on the front of the board but the back is damaged by heat from the faulty transistor (Q1).
If I can source a new board I'll fit that. Otherwise I'll see if I can find someone to give the board some TLC while fitting a new Q1 transistor.
Thanks again for all your help. I feel better already!

Sorry, only seen this now. I'm in Waterford if you're ever stuck.

Locally there's nobody "official" I've ever went to. Any board repairs I've needed have usually been posted off. I've a few friends and business's I know who would be able to repair things but it usually turns into a case of a favour and ends up not being done for months then 😂

Hi Jack,
When it comes to "local", I think that you and I ARE the "official". :)
I took both of the PCBs over to England and to Stan in Hornchurch. The Magnet Control Board was given the TLC that it needed (thanks again Stan!) but the Fliptronic board does not want to give up its failings so easily. At Stan's suggestion (recommendations don't come much better) I have sent it off to Andy Netherwood. So I'm looking forward to putting it all back together ASAP.
What I THINK has happened is that when the diode broke off from the flipper coil, keeping it energised, it has over-worked the transistor (Q3) on the Fliptronic board. But this is only failing under load and therefore bench tests OK.
My poor misses is having withdrawal symptoms. She's taken to doing jig-saws!
I'll PM you with our address. Feel free to drop in if you're ever 'round our way!

Hi Jack,
When it comes to "local", I think that you and I ARE the "official". :)
I took both of the PCBs over to England and to Stan in Hornchurch. The Magnet Control Board was given the TLC that it needed (thanks again Stan!) but the Fliptronic board does not want to give up its failings so easily. At Stan's suggestion (recommendations don't come much better) I have sent it off to Andy Netherwood. So I'm looking forward to putting it all back together ASAP.
What I THINK has happened is that when the diode broke off from the flipper coil, keeping it energised, it has over-worked the transistor (Q3) on the Fliptronic board. But this is only failing under load and therefore bench tests OK.
My poor misses is having withdrawal symptoms. She's taken to doing jig-saws!
I'll PM you with our address. Feel free to drop in if you're ever 'round our way!
Great stuff man, if you're ever up in Waterford give me a buzz and drop in for a few games.

Wait till after Christmas. Recently got 3 new are arcade machines so trying to get everything repaired and working 100%...needless to say the place is a bit of a state with all that going on hahah

Back
Top Bottom