What's new

Help a first time buyer decide what to do

huggers

Site Supporter
Alias
Andy Hug
Hi all. Still weighing up my first pinball purchase. I had all these ideas about what to get and the further I delve into it the more confused by choices I get. I realise none of you can make the decision for me but maybe you could chip in with your thoughts and ideas about what best to do.

So the gf and I are just about to complete on a house (when did I get so old?!) which will provide me with a pretty sizable games room. I'm a big retro gaming collector and have a lot of gear to already go in there however have wanted a pin for years but it's just not been an option. Until now!

So. Budget wise I can go somewhere around the 3K mark. Less than that is all good (lot's of other grown up stuff to buy for the house) but I can stretch to somewhere around there if the right machine(s) come up.

Machines I enjoy playing are BSD, TAF, MM, MB, STTNG.... The obvious ones I guess. I realise a lot of these are out of budget but just to give you an idea.

So given the budget, the games I like etc what would you look to buy. I really fancy a Sopranos (LOVE the show, is the pin any good??), a Dracula (balls hard, awesome multiball scorer) among many others. Would you go for pricier machine? Two less expensive machines perhaps?

Cheers for any input, just looking for people more knowledgable than myself to give me ideas/inspiration. Cheers all, hope you're having a good Sunday!

It's all good dude, buy from here and you won't overpay. Then when you want to change it you can get your money back.

Get a game you enjoy, don't let anyone tell you what to get. Play as many games as possible.

Don't over think it;) Buy a machine play it, enjoy it, sell it on. Then buy another one (or two).

All games have their plus points but there really is no such thing as the "ultimate" machine.

With 3k forget MM or MB. TAF might be achievable.

Personally I'd go for STTNG. You should be able to get one for 2k. Then keep the remaining 1k until another machine pops up and snaffle that as well. Now you have a keeper and a trader so you officially have a problem.....

It's all good dude, buy from here and you won't overpay. Then when you want to change it you can get your money back.

Get a game you enjoy, don't let anyone tell you what to get. Play as many games as possible.

Yeah cheers man, I'm on a mission at the moment to play as many as I can. Going to get up to Special When Lit pretty soon hopefully.

Don't over think it;) Buy a machine play it, enjoy it, sell it on. Then buy another one (or two).

All games have their plus points but there really is no such thing as the "ultimate" machine.

With 3k forget MM or MB. TAF might be achievable.

Personally I'd go for STTNG. You should be able to get one for 2k. Then keep the remaining 1k until another machine pops up and snaffle that as well. Now you have a keeper and a trader so you officially have a problem.....

Haha I'm so guilty of overthinking it. Just such a big outlay for me for what is essentially a toy. I guess I haven't properly considered the fact I can buy one and move it on and get another. In my head there's finality to the purchase which of course there doesn't need to be at all. If I can get a nice STTNG for that then I'll go for it.

I've got a nice Star Wars for sale if that's any good to you :thumbs:

Thanks for the offer mate but I have to say I'm not the biggest fan of the Star Wars games I've played despite loving the original trilogy.

If you like BSD, go for it and have at least a grand in change left over. It doesn't get old as trying to get that elusive triple stack and killing Dracula gives it huge longevity. One of THE best bang for buck games ever;)

Pinball arcade app is good for trying out different machines to see if you like them. If you do then worth finding a real one to try out properly. 3kwill easily get you 2-3 good to fair pinball machines. eBay isn't a true representation of what they go for. However, the list you mentioned are always in demand so be prepared to pay a premium...but that premium is worth it on the forum as beats premium is not worth it....

Having a general wanted posting will reveal all sorts of machines people haven't listed but might sell. There are Flinstones, Fish Tales, Rock and Bullwinkle, Star Wars Godzillas, Revenge From Mars, STTNG ...the list is varied on what you will find. If you have specifics then you might have to wait but they do come up. Certain,y having more than one means you can play a machine depending on your mood, thus you stand less chance getting bored. Then you can have a third you can trade and switch around, or just buy even more.

Also, the machines on the forum have been through a few hands, so tend to have a good history. Others have shop logs so you can see what has been done to them... Users such as Ronsplooter, Nedreud and Luke wells really know their bananas and there are many others on here of similar talent. From what I have seen and learnt, machines on the forum are sold primarily because people want a change or need the money for other reasons. Not many, or any, because they are knackered and on their last legs...

Good luck with the search, but remember, you will end up with more than one if you have the space, it's an addiction...

if you like st tng it's a good bang for buck if sub 2k but DON'T buy a project as this machine can be a money pit. sopranos is ok but has rocketed past 2k recently.

If you like BSD, go for it and have at least a grand in change left over. It doesn't get old as trying to get that elusive triple stack and killing Dracula gives it huge longevity. One of THE best bang for buck games ever;)

Yeah I love the machine. To this day I've never killed Dracula, got 4 letters or so down. Can get REALLY tense that game.

Do you have space for more than 1 ?

I do yes. I probably have room for 2 or maybe 3.. May be trouble ahead!

if you like st tng it's a good bang for buck if sub 2k but DON'T buy a project as this machine can be a money pit. sopranos is ok but has rocketed past 2k recently.

I guess it's the Sopranos theme doing that. I think I'd need to spend some time with one before commiting to buy

Spider-man. Great game for the money.

I've heard it's really solid. I notice there is a HUO one on Ebay but the opening bid is £3501... Beyond my budget and all the way up in Scotland sadly

Pinball arcade app is good for trying out different machines to see if you like them. If you do then worth finding a real one to try out properly. 3kwill easily get you 2-3 good to fair pinball machines. eBay isn't a true representation of what they go for. However, the list you mentioned are always in demand so be prepared to pay a premium...but that premium is worth it on the forum as beats premium is not worth it....

Having a general wanted posting will reveal all sorts of machines people haven't listed but might sell. There are Flinstones, Fish Tales, Rock and Bullwinkle, Star Wars Godzillas, Revenge From Mars, STTNG ...the list is varied on what you will find. If you have specifics then you might have to wait but they do come up. Certain,y having more than one means you can play a machine depending on your mood, thus you stand less chance getting bored. Then you can have a third you can trade and switch around, or just buy even more.

Also, the machines on the forum have been through a few hands, so tend to have a good history. Others have shop logs so you can see what has been done to them... Users such as Ronsplooter, Nedreud and Luke wells really know their bananas and there are many others on here of similar talent. From what I have seen and learnt, machines on the forum are sold primarily because people want a change or need the money for other reasons. Not many, or any, because they are knackered and on their last legs...

Good luck with the search, but remember, you will end up with more than one if you have the space, it's an addiction...

Cheers for the reply and advice. Yeah I have that app (addictive as hell!).

I've heard it's really solid. I notice there is a HUO one on Ebay but the opening bid is £3501... Beyond my budget and all the way up in Scotland sadly

That is a lot for a Spider-man. They are usually between £2.5k and £3k for a really nice one.

That is a lot for a Spider-man. They are usually between £2.5k and £3k for a really nice one.
That Spiderman has been up for quite a while now and the seller is a forum member.

If you like it why not contact him and find out if a deal can be made. Nothing to lose and a great looking game to gain. He's just off the M74 before Glasgow

That Spiderman has been up for quite a while now and the seller is a forum member.

If you like it why not contact him and find out if a deal can be made. Nothing to lose and a great looking game to gain. He's just off the M74 before Glasgow
I've already got one mate. :thumbs:

If you have 3k to spend, and like Addams Family, and want to buy one machine it is a no brainer. Buy an Addams.

It is the best selling pinball of all time, and for a simple reason. It is an all round superb game. The theme, gameplay, sounds, callouts, music, modes, wizard mode, playfield art, cab art are all excellent. It is also very reliable. Plenty still around. Plenty of spares around, literally everything you could ever need. Diamond Plate Playfield, so wears relatively well. "Liquid" - easy to buy and sell. Still does remarkably well in commercial environments. Holds its value and always will as most people know it, most people like it

If you are open to buying more than one game you have plenty of choices. I would highlight a few options. In terms of value for money -
  • Late 70s/ Early 80s games have the best art
  • Mid 80s games are pretty crap, cost cutting led to really poor games
  • Late 80s games have the best sound
  • Early 90s are the best players
So

Good late 70s/ early 80s Bally SS Game (say 500 to 800 for a title like Paragon, Medusa, Elektra, Xenon, 8 Ball Deluxe)
PLUS
Good Williams System 11 (600 to 1100 for a title like High Speed, Space Station, Swords of Fury Black Knight 2000, Earthshaker)
PLUS
Value WPC (1000 to 1500 for a title like Shadow, High Speed 2, WCS94, Fish Tales). These are excellent playing titles, but the theme/ art/ sounds are not top notch so collectors do not pay top money for them.

Or

Buy two Value WPC games.

If you have space for 2 or 3 games, I reckon that most noobs would be best off buying two Value WPC games.

If you have 3k to spend, and like Addams Family, and want to buy one machine it is a no brainer. Buy an Addams.

It is the best selling pinball of all time, and for a simple reason. It is an all round superb game. The theme, gameplay, sounds, callouts, music, modes, wizard mode, playfield art, cab art are all excellent. It is also very reliable. Plenty still around. Plenty of spares around, literally everything you could ever need. Diamond Plate Playfield, so wears relatively well. "Liquid" - easy to buy and sell. Still does remarkably well in commercial environments. Holds its value and always will as most people know it, most people like it

If you are open to buying more than one game you have plenty of choices. I would highlight a few options. In terms of value for money -
  • Late 70s/ Early 80s games have the best art
  • Mid 80s games are pretty crap, cost cutting led to really poor games
  • Late 80s games have the best sound
  • Early 90s are the best players
So

Good late 70s/ early 80s Bally SS Game (say 500 to 800 for a title like Paragon, Medusa, Elektra, Xenon, 8 Ball Deluxe)
PLUS
Good Williams System 11 (600 to 1100 for a title like High Speed, Space Station, Swords of Fury Black Knight 2000, Earthshaker)
PLUS
Value WPC (1000 to 1500 for a title like Shadow, High Speed 2, WCS94, Fish Tales). These are excellent playing titles, but the theme/ art/ sounds are not top notch so collectors do not pay top money for them.

Or

Buy two Value WPC games.

If you have space for 2 or 3 games, I reckon that most noobs would be best off buying two Value WPC games.

Cheers for the helpful post. Have to say I thought TAF would be out of my budget

Find local pinheads and join up with your local league.
We're a fairly sociable bunch of weirdos in my experience and we generally like showing off our collections as most people think they should be played rather than gathering dust in the corner of a games room.
Get as many games in as you can there to find machines you like / dislike.
Once you have a reasonable list keep an eye out for one in decent nick turning up on here and check with your new-found addict friends about price and condition before buying (unlike a certain auction website you're extremely unlikely to get ripped off here but equally you might not want your first machine to be a rebuild project for instance)
Be aware that any machine you buy will have 'issues' at some point and be prepared to do basic maintenance, all of which you can get advice on here.
Welcome to the addiction.

If you want a project pin buy it as a second pin and get one by the same manufacturer and same type of pin. It helps when it comes to fault finding you can swap boards and parts as needed to test (That's what I did anyway), and found it helped greatly with learning the black art of pinball repairs. Not saying I still don't make schoolboy errors but it's all part of the fun.

I think for now a project might be a little bit ambitious. Think I just want something that will work, at least initially. So I'm thinking I'm either going to get both a BSD and perhaps a LW3 (if I can do this within budget), or maybe just a single newer Stern machine like an IM or a SM. I don't complete on the new house for a week or two so I'm keeping my eyes peeled but happy to wait as long as necessary for the right one(s). Slightly over excited not going to lie!

One man's grail pin is another's POS.

Definitely get some play time in on real machines before making your own mind up.

Grab yourself two early nineties Williams games. Great titles and built to last. As per earlier posts, you can then have two machines that use the same parts/boards.
I sense that u are a little concerned about repairs etc.
Pinball machines break and need upkeep. Some of it you'll learn to do yourself and you'll get support from the people on this forum.
But em, clean em, replace the broken bits and send the rest to Phil or Andy for repair.
Enjoy the journey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you have two weeks until completion now is the idea time to buy. Use Martin as your courier and the machines will arrive sometime after you've moved in....;)

Slightly more seriously if you are buying from here most of us would be happy to hold a machine for a couple of weeks. Our partners are already pretty used to the sight of additional folded up machines in the kitchen, living room, hallway etc

Back
Top Bottom