What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted Harlem Globetrotters

David_Vi

Site Supporter
Alias
DaveTheTrain
Been a long time since I did a wanted post for a game.

That's because I have no money.
But my friend does, and he's been after his first pin for a while. His heart is set on Harlem Globetrotters as his first game.
I said I'd happily do any work or restoration required on it (within reason).

So are there any Harlem's about that would like a new home? I don't mind a little project as long as the playfield and cab is in decent nick.😄

Don't ask don't get 👍🏻

If it came via Alan it'll be very nice 😄. I think I remember it!

If you could find out if they do want rid and a rough price that would be great 😬

Could you open his mind to a Paragon to double his chances ? Same era. Very similar sounds and features, but so much more to do in a Paragon.

Could you open his mind to a Paragon to double his chances ? Same era. Very similar sounds and features, but so much more to do in a Paragon.

It's more that he wants the game he enjoyed the most from his youth. He's borrowed my games, been to Pinfest and various events so has been exposed to a lot of different games. But Harlem is his grail😄

It's more that he wants the game he enjoyed the most from his youth. He's borrowed my games, been to Pinfest and various events so has been exposed to a lot of different games. But Harlem is his grail😄
Harlem is more fun than Paragon…

[Ducks and runs for cover… 😈]

Harlem is more fun than Paragon…

[Ducks and runs for cover… 😈]

They play nothing alike so I couldn't compare. Harlem can be really fast whereas Paragon has a lot of floatiness due to the wide body.
I'll have a Paragon next month so maybe I'll change my mind 😄

They play nothing alike so I couldn't compare. Harlem can be really fast whereas Paragon has a lot of floatiness due to the wide body.
I'll have a Paragon next month so maybe I'll change my mind 😄
Harlem is one of @MadMonzer and I's favourite classics, so your friend has great taste :)

I love the speed, the 'double-flipper bitch'-ing, the risk-reward around when to go for the spinners or the multipliers, and the satisfaction of joggling the machine to nudge into the saucer.

Paragon is hard to nudge for a small woman, but - also - it feels like it's mostly 'meticulously control ball, tap carefully across to right flipper, shoot down multipliers, shoot to top and try to nudge into saucer... rinse and repeat'. Tough, engaging, but not as super exciting as Harlem.

Obviously, both are great pins, and the artwork on Paragon is 😘

As my mum found with my Space Invaders. After which she disliked playing against me on it.
I was going to find somewhere to post this, but I've found this video on nudging really helpful - not sure if it's improved my scores yet because I haven't had the opportunity to play competitively since I broke my shoulder in January - but it's definitely improved my confidence in moving the machine. Usually, nudging videos feature a guy of 6ft 2" who gives the pin a light slap and it skids across the room, but Tim Sexton is apparently 5ft 6" and - although I'm sure he's got way more upper body strength than me - it's the first time I've seen a tutorial video on nudging that considers body posture and stance.

In summary, I've got to adopt the massive split stance a guy did at the UK Open last year, and then explosively hurl myself sideways with my hands braced on the pin... And, yay, it moves!

Not sure your mum would want to do that tho'. I've had more of a workout playing long games of Godzilla/AFM/Venom than riding a bike.

Last edited:
In summary, I've got to adopt the massive split stance a guy did at the UK Open last year, and then explosively hurl myself sideways with my hands braced on the pin... And, yay, it moves!
It sounds like you're trying to grab the machine and actually move it. That's probably going to be exhausting trying to do that every time, more likely to tilt and also hurt your shoulder. The majority of my nudging is either upwards bumps or slap saves. For me it's much easier and more effective to slap or bump, it's also easier to be more accurate about the amount of force you're using.

I do slide save at home sometimes which does mean grabbing the machine and actually moving the feet but I have furniture sliders on to make that possible for me without injuring myself. Try to forget about grabbing the machine and moving it and just practice forward bumps and slap saves.

Back
Top Bottom