What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Happy New Year - Advice on DMD for Fish Tales

Nige4554

Site Supporter
Alias
Nige4554
Happy New Year to all members, thanks for support so far,

I bought this in poor condition which was located near the coast which salt damage, I am near completion of my restoration my first detailed project Fish Tales,

I have stripped everything out the playfield and cleaned and replaced all broken parts, LEDs, plastics, and rubbers. Stripped and cleaned all mechanicals, The good news is it powers up. the bad news is I have a DMD problem, see picture, the contacts have all been cleaned and I replaced the ROM and PSU Board from our friends in France with a rocket CPU which they put in the latest Fish tales ROM. the connections to the DMD have been cleaned and electrical contact spray has been applied.

Request help with what could the DMD issue be? I have checked all fuses and replaced F108 and F109 which had blown with 5amp.

assistance would be appreciated

Things left
Get it running.
Complete Decal Set, (not a priority as the current ones are faded but dont stop play)
Replace DMD with a colour DMD, on my shopping list when I can afford
Replace glass to non reflective once Neil McRay has new orders
Get the coin box front and the caster reel chromed.

Attachments

• IMG_4515.jpg
    IMG_4515.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 40
Have you checked the ribbon cables? It's easy to connect them one pin over if you're not careful. On your pic, the two on the left hand side of the dmd board should line up but the bottom one looks to be out of line slightly

Ok now dmd is working i have ran all the tests, I need to do a flipper rebuild and 2 areas need attention on the test are the knocker ? nothing happening here, where is the knocker and the super jackpot test, what is this suppose to do, the jackpot is lighting up ok but cannot see any super jackpot. thanks again

If the knocker isn't working, make sure the wires are still soldered to the solenoid - I had a machine where a previous owner had disconnected them because they are loud (and some find them annoying)

The knocker is top left in the back box. It fires a coil into a metal plate in the top of the back box to indicate replays - it may just be disconnected as they tend to scare small children and the uninitiated 😂

I don't know about the jackpot I'm afraid, maybe a Fishy owner could chip in

Super Jackpot is a flasher placed under the insert in the centre of the playfield, below the ramp into captive ball area.
Your knocker assembly has been removed (it's possible it wasn't being used due to region settings, which may have changed with the new CPU board), can see screw holes on the top left where the knocker assembly was.

not sure if of interest but the 22mm square buttons here are a perfect fit for the handle (12v) and have a real nice feel and click.
Is what i used after chroming mine,

thanks Paul, repaired the old push button, I got one of these off a site member but could not get it to work, it was also a little too small. thanks again

Oh just realized that was me that sent you it :)

Odd that it was a little small, its a perfect snug fit in mine. wonder if its due to the extra thickness of the chrome plating??

The wiring was exactly the same as the old round button on mine.

If you want me to take my handle apart and get a photo then let me know.

Oh just realized that was me that sent you it :)

Odd that it was a little small, its a perfect snug fit in mine. wonder if its due to the extra thickness of the chrome plating??

The wiring was exactly the same as the old round button on mine.

If you want me to take my handle apart and get a photo then let me know.
Thanks Paul, no I soaked the original part in a solution, managed to get the plastic released and ordered a new switch, I did look at the site for other options including a buzzer but kept it original, just need to get the coin door and caster handle chromed now but will wait for funds :) thanks again for the offer

OK additional advice please, I have had no luck with the super jackpot light on test still does not show up. building up the energy and time to trace the cables, in the mean time I have replaced the fuses to the correct amps shocking what some people do to their machines, in doing so I seem to have knocked out the popper lights and channel lights at top of playfield. Fuses are ok. otherwise all adjustments made, game plays as it should, tests run well, last few niggles to sort. I also have one light out behind the fish, its for the lure replaced the bulb and connector still not working. How to test the lights not working please?

Back
Top Bottom