What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Half Life Alex perfect timing for lockdown

Colywobbles

Site Supporter
Alias
Billy Big B*llocks
Well it’s almost time and I’m counting the minutes.
ive dusted off the Index and my beast of a PC (2080Ti)
Boy this is almost as exciting and a NIB pinball whoo hooo.
missus closes shop today till this C19 all out of the way so I even have a baby sitter lined up.
a ray of sunshine in an otherwise sheetfest of RL crap.

Attachments

• 404A8DDE-02E8-412D-8108-826E5210ED24.jpeg
    404A8DDE-02E8-412D-8108-826E5210ED24.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 47
Let us know how it plays please! Had a few hours on Doom Eternal now and it's an absolute masterpiece....but so unbelievably difficult.

Can't justify the cost of entry, but would be very interested in how it plays!
New HalfLife and new Doom, it's like the good old days :)

Oh man, my favourite games of all time and I don’t have a pc. Just a PS4. I’m half life myself now😫

@Rob zombie - whats going on with that Blood esk game you were working on? Looked cool that.....

Thanks :) I'm still working on it. It's coming. I'm trying to push the mocap side of the business at the moment too, so it's splitting my time 50:50 currently. I'm finding it much more difficult to get any work done now that the schools have closed *sigh* Definitely will have something out for Halloween 2020 at the latest.

I'm about an hour in, just getting to grips with it atm. Even so what I've seen so far is awesome. It runs great on my 1080ti laptop, sure to look even better on Coly's rig.

I'm ashamed to say that I can't even get past the first spider creature even on the easiest setting. Aiming in non-VR is absolutely killing me.
I don't think it's just you, the guys on the DLC podcast were saying how hard it is, one of them even dropped it all the way down to easy too.

I don't think it's just you, the guys on the DLC podcast were saying how hard it is, one of them even dropped it all the way down to easy too.

I've got past it two or three times, but then got killed within 60secs. It's still good fun but damn I really need to get past this section. In my own game I've programmed in dynamic difficulty which gradually lowers the enemies armour the more often you get killed in the same location. Doom doesn't seem to do this. Maybe even the opposite! 😂

Let us know how it plays please! Had a few hours on Doom Eternal now and it's an absolute masterpiece....but so unbelievably difficult.
OMG it’s a definite game changer. Physics are awesome and the whole expanse of being in city 17 is mind blowing but the problem as both me and Nik Heywood see it is “where do we go from here”
It’s gonna be a tough act to follow but a great showcase of VR

Maybe some kind soul could bring a VR rig with Alyx to PinFest? (If we're allowed out ever again.....) :)

I've waited years for new HL and I have A Oculus Rift CV1.
But only got an i5 4690k, 16gb and a 1070gtx so not sure if it'll run okay... Aaah

Haven't done a mobo/cpu upgrade since 2014 but I don't really play demanding games these days so not sure if I can warrant £600+ for new cpu/mobo and ram.
Gah

What control method are you using Col?
The same with all my games smooth loco with snap turning as I can’t stomach smooth turning.
I also have a large play space so generally wander around exploring.

The same with all my games smooth loco with snap turning as I can’t stomach smooth turning.
I also have a large play space so generally wander around exploring.
Yes that works well for me too, no nausea. I struggled initially, having played so many games with my feet planted in one spot, I couldn't work out the turning ( there is no smooth turn, that option doesn't seem to work, a few complaints about that in steam reviews). Luckily I remembered my feet actually can move :D, so turning physically a lot of the time, with some snap turning now and then.

Yes that works well for me too, no nausea. I struggled initially, having played so many games with my feet planted in one spot, I couldn't work out the turning ( there is no smooth turn, that option doesn't seem to work, a few complaints about that in steam reviews). Luckily I remembered my feet actually can move :D, so turning physically a lot of the time, with some snap turning now and then.
A lot of people forget they can physically turn this is by far the best way by using your roomscle to optimum effect

I prefer sitting down in an office swivel chair and full smooth locomotion. Cannot stand snap turning or any of these other weird locomotion methods.

I prefer sitting down in an office swivel chair and full smooth locomotion. Cannot stand snap turning or any of these other weird locomotion methods.
I used to play on a barstool in that manner but found standing and walking around gave a lot more immersion but you do need a decent size play space

I used to play on a barstool in that manner but found standing and walking around gave a lot more immersion but you do need a decent size play space

Some people swear by room scale. I used to have a Vive setup down in the basement with loads of room but got rid of it as I hardly used it. I've developed my own game around being seated and it works amazingly well with complete freedom of locomotion......until you stand up, and then it's vomit central. I showcased the game at Gamers Unite last year and had bought sick bags just in case. No problems whatsoever. One drunk guy I had to persuade not to attempt standing up though as I didn't fancy mopping up. I feel like room scale is a bit of a gimmick, but will have to buy Alyx and see what they're doing.

I don't move about that much, my space isn't large enough but I do take maybe 2 steps in all directions, usually to get closer to something the controls are making it difficult to get into position, like the 3d puzzles you have to complete.

Just fired it up and yep it really is - pure demon blasting fun.
Also loving the soundtrack, even the main menu music is spot on

It's fantastic. I struggled with aiming at first but after dialing the X Y sensitivity right down it plays much better now on PS4 gamepad.

Back
Top Bottom