What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Group Buy Low Reflective glass

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
@Neil McRae

Hi Neil,

I'm not sure if I missed it earlier, but is there any restriction on what cleaners to use for this new glass?

I'd normally use something like Ethanol (96%) as it evaporates really quickly and cleans normal glass very well. Just wondered if the low reflective coating would potentially be affected?

Thanks.

You want to avoid anything with ammonia in it

But personally I use Bohle prof glass cleaner.

If that isn’t available soapy water and squeegee. Lots of folks use method.

Cheers
Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: C&C
If I can advise you something, normal window cleaner is enough. Nothing special needed. A bit harder to clean, while the surface is not so smooth as a simple glass.

Hiya Zsozso,

Is water + Alcohol safe to use on these?? (30:70)???

Cheers

Hiya Zsozso,

Is water + Alcohol safe to use on these?? (30:70)???

Cheers
Yeah its okay, but a normal window cleaner is far enough. It wipes off everything. It has a lower % of alcohol but there is nothing we should need more.
There is a submolecular bondage between the coating and the surface of glass, so you can not wipe off the metal-oxide layer. But why should we try it so hard? :D

Glass is in TNA, and I'd say it's made quite a difference! :)

Thanks to all involved. :thumbs:

View attachment 113934

Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention was that when I got TNA, the original glass had been fitted with dampening tape to stop it rattling (especially important on this pin due to the heavy bass from the built in sub-woofer).

I searched the forum and found an old post from a while back (I think from @Durzel) with a link to some tape which could be used for sound deadening. I ordered a roll of 10 metres of the stuff from Amazon - it's 1mm thick x 5mm wide. If you wrap it over the end of the glass and then pull it taught you can get it really straight right on the face of the glass but at the very edge, so it's actually hidden inside the channel when you put the glass in the pin. The new glass now fits really snug and there is no vibration regardless of the volume! :)

Did you try the glass without the tape?

Putting in thicker glass made all the vibrations go away on TNA.

Did you try the glass without the tape?

Putting in thicker glass made all the vibrations go away on TNA.

Funnily enough Neil, I didn't.

I had assumed I'd need the tape, had already ordered it, so put it on before putting the glass in the pin. Never thought about trying it without!
Anyway, as it's on now (and stuck pretty firmly), I think I'll leave it as I can't see any downside of it being there, or advantage in removing it?

From your comments, were you using TNA previously without any tape?

I've been keen to minimise additional noise as much as possible (as the pin is in an upstairs room), so as well as having the tape on it (it came with that), I've also got it on a heavy rubber mat with plywood on top so nudging is still possible, and have lined much of the inside of the cabinet with automotive sound deadening foam. This has given the whole machine a really tight/solid feel to it (and unintentionally improved the bass response for the sound).

Last edited:
Certainly is snug. Nice and snug and virtually invisible. Makes you think the glass is off.
Not sure if it's slightly longer, but only just managed to get the lock down bar on my Hobbit.
Great glass though 😁

Funnily enough Neil, I didn't.

I had assumed I'd need the tape, had already ordered it, so put it on before putting the glass in the pin. Never thought about trying it without!
Anyway, as it's on now (and stuck pretty firmly), I think I'll leave it as I can't see any downside of it being there, or advantage in removing it?

From your comments, were you using TNA previously without any tape?

I've been keen to minimise additional noise as much as possible (as the pin is in an upstairs room), so as well as having the tape on it (it came with that), I've also got it on a heavy rubber mat with plywood on top so nudging is still possible, and have lined much of the inside of the cabinet with automotive sound deadening foam. This has given the whole machine a really tight/solid feel to it (and unintentionally improved the bass response for the sound).

Yeah mine rattled a little but not much but when I put the new glass in its tight and doesn’t move. Same with Dialed in which was a lot worse rattle wise.

Neil.

Just a big thanks to everyone who took part in the group buy. All but two collections to go. Payment was quick, the glass is excellent and collection has been pretty straight forward.

Will be doing another order late August/September time but will get this delivered to my house next time as it would be easier to stick in the garage. Got very lucky that the guys next door helped me get it in the club with their forklift.

Cheers
Neil.

I am in for the next batch , unless anyone has one spare down this way now :)
Cheers
Well

That’s all folks! - all the glass collected

Will be starting a new thread for the next batch on Sunday!

Neil.

Hi, Neil I'm really impressed with the glass quality, top job on sorting this out for everyone. I kept tapping the glass on my Scared Stiff thinking it's not there, it's so good. I should have ordered another couple of sheets for my intended future machines so I'll be on the lookout for the new thread to do just that. Hopefully you don't mind me collecting it from Woking as before?

Thanks Santi

all the glass will come to woking this time - I've got step free access and I got very lucky with the guys next door having the fork lift!

Back
Top Bottom