What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sold GROUP BUY: FISHPAPER

Nedreud

Registered
I'm gauging interest to do a group buy of FISHPAPER. It's an electrical insulation material made out of vulcanised cellulose fibres and is commonly found on pinball machines in leaf switches and coils, but there are all sorts of game-specific bits from a SOPRANOS Safe switch insulator to the Twilight Zone Mini Playfield Insulator. It's easy to cut with scissors or scalpel blade, but it very hard wearing and difficult to tear.

safe.JPG
TZ.jpg

farm4.staticflickr.com_3862_14855361401_06b3430932_n.jpg farm6.staticflickr.com_5506_14190980368_2df0f4e807_n.jpg

Getting hold of this stuff is a bit tricky in the UK for some reason. Farnell sell it but only from US stocks and charge an extra £16 to import it. I found some on eBay but the postage charges were near criminal, again from the US. Also, all of these were 0.010" (0.25mm) thick whereas all the bits I've measured on my machines are the slightly thicker 0.015" (0.38mm).

However, I found a manufacturer in the UK, RH NUTTALL, who are willing to sell to private individuals on a cash basis (they normally deal with business-to-business in large volumes). They make VULCANISED FIBRE SHEET on a commercial scale in big sheets in various thicknesses and colours.

RH-Vulcanised-Fibre-sheet-web-2.png

So, the deal is this: they have GREY 0.4mm (0.015") Vulcanised Fibre sheet supplied on 3m rolls 690mm wide. The cost is £25 cash including delivery. I literally have to send them money in an envelope!

So who's interested in a GROUP BUY of fish paper? I would cut the width in half and then divide into 25cm lengths. Each piece would be 345mm x 250mm or roughly 13.5" by 10". A roll would therefore make 24 sheets this size (cost price of £1.05 each).

Each sheet would cost £2.00 to cover 73p Royal Mail 2nd Class Large Letter, brown parcel paper and Sellotape, etc. That is, I'm not attempting to make any money out of this, just cover costs.

If you're interested reply below or PM me and I'll add your name to the list below. I doubt there'll be a massive rush on this but would prefer to start allocating one or two sheets each so everyone who wants some gets it ;)

Kind regards,

Peter aka Nedreud

ROLL 1
Sheet # - Username

1 - @Nedreud Paid Sent Received
2 - @Nedreud Paid Sent Received
3 - @DRD Paid Sent Received
4 - @astyy Paid Sent Received
5 - @Mfresh Paid Sent Received
6 - @Mfresh Paid Sent Received
7 - @lukewells Paid Sent Received
8 - @myPinballs Paid Sent
9 - @myPinballs Paid Sent
10 - @JT. Paid Sent Received
11 - @ronsplooter Paid Sent Received
12 - @ronsplooter Paid Sent Received
13 - @mufcmufc Paid Sent Received
14 - @mufcmufc Paid Sent Received
15 - @mufcmufc Paid Sent Received
16 - @Gaz Shiells Paid Sent Received
17 - @kevlar Paid Sent Received
18 - @Eddie Twadds Paid Sent
19 - @Matt Adams Paid Sent Received
20 - @Matt Adams Paid Sent Received
21 - @Hiro996 Paid Home Delivery Received
22 - @Hiro996 Paid Home Delivery Received
23 - @nick-the-greek Paid Sent Received
24 - @nick-the-greek Paid Sent Received

ROLL 2
Sheet # - Username

1 - @andy Paid Sent
2 - @Paul Paid Sent Received
3 - @Paul Paid Sent Received
4 - @Arv Paid Sent Received
5 - @Moonraker Will bring to SWL
6 - @aaronhicksuk Paid Sent Received
7 - @aaronhicksuk Paid Sent Received
8 - @aaronhicksuk Paid Sent Received
9 - @Dave2084 Paid Sent Received
10 - @Dave2084 Paid Sent Received
11 - @Dave2084 Paid Sent Received
12 - @GrizZ Paid Sent Received
13 - @BigIan Paid Sent Received
14 - @elrikos Paid Sent Received
15 - @elrikos Paid Sent Received
16 - @elrikos Paid Sent Received
17 - @Calimori Paid Sent Received
18 - @Calimori Paid Sent Received
19 - @Monkeyboypaul Paid Sent Received
20 - @Monkeyboypaul Paid Sent Received
21 - @newdos Paid Sent Received
22 - @Carl Spiby Paid Sent Received
23 -
24 -

Last edited:
"In 1729 Stephen Gray made the discovery of the conducting and non-conducting power of different substances. Gray found that by using woven silk served as an excellent insulator. Some years later it was found that the paper industry could provide what was equivalent to woven silk. Later it was discovered that if the paper was saturated with fish oil its ability as an insulator was much improved particularly when used in harsh environments and high voltages."

I'll support this too. I was only reading (on Clays I think) that the credit button is insulated from the coin door using Fish Paper and I thought it would be easy to get hold of.

Thanks @Nedreud

Thumbs up for helping the community and doing the group buy.:thumbs:

I'll take a piece please. No need to post it though if you are going to a show any time soon. I know how much of a pain it is to post out 20+ lots of something

Anyone who has older games (Bally, Stern, Williams sys 3-7) etc needs to grab a piece of this while Peter is offering it at a great price.

You will at some point need to fix a shorting flipper/pop bumper/coin door switch with some of this ... so £2...... :thumbs:

Thumbs up for helping the community and doing the group buy.:thumbs:

I'll take a piece please. No need to post it though if you are going to a show any time soon. I know how much of a pain it is to post out 20+ lots of something
No problem, my pleasure :D great bunch of helpful people on here, only too happy to help.

Not sure I'm going to make it to any shows this year :( No SCS and I have a feeling the UKPP might be skipped is year. Just a hunch. Everything else is fairly "Oop Norf" so 4-5 hours drive and overnight stay. Never say never though ;) 8-Bit Flip looks good and I'll make it to NLP one day!

What's this stuff typically used for in non-pinball related things?
You'll find it in all sorts of electrical things. I can recall seeing it in my tumble drier last time I replaced the element.

Plenty of info on Wikipedia about fishpaper, which is the "electrical grade" of vulcanised cellulose fibre. This lot says:

Fishpaper is the name for the electrical grade of Vulcanized Fiber. Fish Paper has unique properties, including light weight, and ease of forming and punching. Fishpaper is also unique because it is more resistant to heat and cold than comparable plastic materials.

Fishpaper applications include: Electrical Appliances, Electrical Instruments, Washers, Automotive, Electrical Insulation, Electrical Devices, Gaskets, Fuse Tubes, Circuit breakers, Railroad track insulation, Bushings for motor contacts, Lightening arresters.

I like the fact it was invented 100 years ago and even with all the advances in modern materials science it's still the best stuff for the job :D

FAO: @DRD, @astyy, @Mfresh, @lukewells, @myPinballs, @JT., @ronsplooter, @mufcmufc, @Gaz Shiells, @kevlar, @Eddie Twadds, @Matt Adams, @Hiro996

Okay, currently there are 5 sheets left. @Mfresh wanted 1 extra, @andy wants 1, @nick-the-greek wants 2, @Paul wants 2, @Arv wants 1, @Moonraker wants 1 and @mufcmufc originally requested 3 so would like 1 more on top of the 2 I allocated. If my sums are right that's 9 more so we're 4 sheets short.

I see two options here: either re-allocate a few pieces from those who wanted more than 1 sheet (but that means a couple of folks will "lose out" whilst others don't) or I just order 2 rolls. Personally I'm happy with the latter - I'll take another sheet myself. That means @mufcmufc can have his 3 sheets, and everyone else gets want they'd like too.

I'll call RH NUTTALL on Monday morning and double-check. I'll keep this thread running until it's all sold.

Back
Top Bottom