What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gottlieb Stargate - 'To buy or not to buy'

MikeM

Site Supporter
Alias
Mike
I'm looking at buying my second pin in only 2 months....
I've been offered a Gottlieb Stargate in lovely condition for £3,250.
I have had the opportunity to play one of these a few years ago.
I would just like some valuable feedback on this Gottlieb pin,positive or negative.

Thanks

Price wise it’s probably about right, maybe a little bit high, but condition is key, so if it is in great condition, it’s probably OK.

I haven’t played one, but I know it is held in high regard and is considered the best DMD Gottlieb. However, it is all personal choice, so if you like the game, go for it.

My advice would be to try and see it in person and play it.

Price wise it’s probably about right, maybe a little bit high, but condition is key, so if it is in great condition, it’s probably OK.

I haven’t played one, but I know it is held in high regard and is considered the best DMD Gottlieb. However, it is all personal choice, so if you like the game, go for it.

My advice would be to try and see it in person and play it.
^^^ plus one. Good advice

One here at Medway pinball if you are ever this way and want to have a good few games on one, personally I think it is a cool game

Do it! SG is the game that got me into pinball :) Good game for less experienced pinheads as not too brutal, and easy to trap from a habitrail feed. Great rules especially for the time, including 2 achievable wizard modes. Nice active layout with the 2 kickers, mostly easy shots with a few hard ones. I still enjoy playing it whenever I'm in the office, trying to beat my colleague 's 3.5B!

@OTRawrior got one as his first pin last year, might have something to add.

I have a Stargate as my first pin!

£3.25k is quite a bit, but I've never been one for super-mint stuff. Maybe if it was in tip top condition with a colour DMD... For reference I had mine for 2.5k several months ago, and I don't think the market has got that much hotter in that time.

The game is very fun. Its multi-ball heavy, and can be set up fairly challenging. The callouts IMO are great and the music is a vibe.

Normally for the money (this one may be a little too expensive to say this) Stargate is far and away the pin with the most bang for your buck IMO. It's a fairly modern game, with a DMD, modes (Including two wizard modes), three flippers, fun ramps, several different ways to play, and cool art. I can now some regularly get one or the other wizard mode in a game, and have lined them both up I think twice. Still it feels like there is more to play as getting the wizard mode is one thing, doing well and scoring super jackpots is another, and doing all that with a boosted jackpot value is another!

Maintenance wise, expect to have to rebuild the flippers. The system 3 flipper design is such they wear quickly, and when worn they don't smoothly make the right ramp. While there I really recommend changing out the coil stops from a Gottlieb system 1. It stops the flippers being able to literally catch anything by making them have a more shallow range, which makes the game much more flowy.

Apart from that, all I've had to do is adjust switches and replace rubbers. Also, the game is as heavy as ****!

I have a few Gottlieb System 3 pins in an arcade I run, and I can say from experience they are incredibly reliable and rarely have any issues. All my Williams pins constantly have issues. I’m actually considering swapping some of my Williams pins for more System 3 pins due to their reliability. So if you’re also after good reliability the System 3 pins are a good choice.

Best DMD gottlieb but still a gottlieb. Would have to be a cracker above 3k . I was obliged to take mine to buy a creature from buzz arcade in Coventry as they came as a deal after they were shut down for "reasons" . The £25 smash tv arcade was a nice score too

Is it the one one sale on this forum? As it also was advertised with a Big Hurt kit to swap the game over as well.

Gottliebs best System 3 machine hands down, sold mine years ago and have always regretted it, bought it for £1200 so the price of them now makes me feel sick. Cracking game running on an extremely reliable system/boardset, I'd say it's very strong money but if the condition is right and you enjoy it who cares, go for it 😁

Apologies, not trying to derail thread but while on the subject of Sys 3. Are there many Barb Wire machines in the UK ?

Back
Top Bottom