What's new

Gottlieb SS adding a chime unit.

backflipper

Site Supporter
10 Years
Hi all
I have a Gottlieb Count-down SS that has the electronic tone board in it but I also have a chime unit.
Has anyone attempted this mod and if so are you able to assist?
Thanks!

I haven't done it yet but I will be adding a chime unit to my Pinball Pool as part of doing it up. I'll post about it in my shop log thread when I get to that part :thumbs:

Would it be similar to what I'd need to do if I were to put a chime unit in my Zac Nautilus?

I haven't done it yet but I will be adding a chime unit to my Pinball Pool as part of doing it up. I'll post about it in my shop log thread when I get to that part :thumbs:
Nice. So have you found any reference materials?
I used to have electronic versions off all Gottlieb manuals but lost it some time back. I suspect the wiring is well documented in the early system 1 games.
Attached is the scan of the tones page from my manual.

Attachments

• IMG_7413.jpeg
    IMG_7413.jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 2
Looks like it can be wired direct. The schematics show that the scoring is driven in the same way as the solenoids.

Pic attached

Attachments

• IMG_7414.png
    IMG_7414.png
    174.2 KB · Views: 4
Have a look at this:

The reason it's possible/easy for these early System 1 games is due to the way the sound board is driven. It's basically the same as if it were driving the 3 coils of a chime unit.

@Judderman if it is possible on a Zacc it won't be as easy as these System 1's for the reason above. Nautilus was designed from factory to run the Zacc sound board and I don't know if that's a 3 tone generator? To convert to chimes you need the input to the sound board to be 3 separate signals (3 tones) that you can then use to power the 3 chime unit coils. These inputs need to have enough juice and the coils be of a right resistance for it all to work though. I'm going to use the chime unit of one of my Spin Out EM's and I need to check that the coil resistance is within the right range (I think it is).

Have a look at this:

The reason it's possible/easy for these early System 1 games is due to the way the sound board is driven. It's basically the same as if it were driving the 3 coils of a chime unit.

@Judderman if it is possible on a Zacc it won't be as easy as these System 1's for the reason above. Nautilus was designed from factory to run the Zacc sound board and I don't know if that's a 3 tone generator? To convert to chimes you need the input to the sound board to be 3 separate signals (3 tones) that you can then use to power the 3 chime unit coils. These inputs need to have enough juice and the coils be of a right resistance for it all to work though. I'm going to use the chime unit of one of my Spin Out EM's and I need to check that the coil resistance is within the right range (I think it is).
Thanks for the heads-up. Looks like it's something I'll not be attempting for a while (if at all).

Have a look at this:

Thanks for this. Looks like it is going to be pretty straight forward!

I made the change and it sounds great. If anyone needs assistance in the future send me a message.

Back
Top Bottom