What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gottlieb Operation Thunder fixing - guidance for a 'numpty'....

Nickbs

Site Supporter
I bought thus about 15 months ago from a fellow forum member as a project to get a real feel of how to fix up pinballs.

When I first got it, as expected, it fired up fine and you could play a game of sorts (albeit limited by one flipper not working and another 3rd flipper missing).

15 months on I've finally got it into the house ( combination of most DIY jobs done and lousy bank holiday weather) and ready to get going on my first attempt at fixing up. I'm expecting this to be a slow, drawn out procees z(but hopefully ultimately successful) given my limited pinball knowledge and complete absence of electronics expertise etc! Please be 'gentle & understanding' with replies!

Unfortunately after the period of storage in the garage the machine doesn't fire up as it used to - you get loud 'beep', a couple of clunks and then nothing other than this sequence on the display:

Pressing the test mode button doesn't generate much more - I can cycle through the test modes (with the test button), but it appears not to do any of the tests. Pressing the 'play' button doesn't do anything and I just hear a quiet 'beep' off the right flipper (which it makes even when powered off). Following image is of one part of the test mode display which may mean something? Also an image of the display indicating 2 credits are in the machine (apparently!).

image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• trim.73DE4C7E-A96D-4D87-B564-31ED60879D88.MOV
    12.3 MB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 6
Get into the backbox and have a look at the MPU board. I'm not familiar with the System 3 board set but have a look to see if there's a battery on there and check for signs of leakage :thumbs:

Get into the backbox and have a look at the MPU board. I'm not familiar with the System 3 board set but have a look to see if there's a battery on there and check for signs of leakage :thumbs:

Thanks for the reply @ronsplooter - I'd had a look earlier (fearing the worst) and with a combination of basic internet research and looking concluded that the machine has a soldered in lithium battery, which appears 'sound', certainly no traces of staining or corrosion below it on the board. I just went and had another look 'just in case' (actually easier to see thus evening as no sun coming through the window) and it does appear all fine!

Cool :) Next thing is to check connectors for corrosion that might be causing weirdness and do the ground mods. System 3 mods are at the bottom of this page:

https://www.flippers.com/gottlieb_ground_cures.html

Cheers @ronsplooter - had hoped to have a further look/fiddle tonight, but after only getting home from work rather later than planned at 9.30 and having caught the last few mins of the Footie now looks like the weekend before I can devote any more time :(

Try pressing the memory reset button? Little round button with reset written next to it. Might temporarily clear a memory/battery issue and get you into a game. Do this with game on.

After that if no change could try reseating game rom? when removed check for any bad connections or corrosion there.

Unplug and replug all your wires.

Try pressing the memory reset button? Little round button with reset written next to it. Might temporarily clear a memory/battery issue and get you into a game. Do this with game on.

After that if no change could try reseating game rom? when removed check for any bad connections or corrosion there.

Unplug and replug all your wires.
Cheers Jaywire - will give that a go as well!

Or bring it up with you on Saturday and I'll have a quick look at it after the meet...! :thumbs:

Cheers Pete

That's very generous offer - sadly (as with the last few Special When Lit events) I've got a date clash - t's the 'Devon Derby' with Exeter City @ Home to Plymouth Argyle - biggest game of the season since we saw Liverpool off in the FA Cup in January and my attendance is required for a whole host of personal, business & footballing reasons!).

I took some time over the weekend to put as many forthcoming Pinball dates in the family diary going forward so hoping to make it to the next few events at yours after Saturday!:):clap: - if things still not sorted/progressing by then I'll give you a shout beforehand to see if it might be convenient then!

t's the 'Devon Derby' with Exeter City @ Home to Plymouth Argyle - biggest game of the season since we saw Liverpool off in the FA Cup in January and my attendance is required for a whole host of personal, business & footballing reasons!).

Being a Bristol Rovers Fan, please be assured you will have my fullest support :D

Being a Bristol Rovers Fan, please be assured you will have my fullest support :D

Cheers Paul - I'll add some additional vocal support on your behalf. We 'stuffed' them away earlier in the season, which undoubtedly means we're up for an embarassing reversal on Saturday, but hopefully not!

I bought thus about 15 months ago from a fellow forum member as a project to get a real feel of how to fix up pinballs.

When I first got it, as expected, it fired up fine and you could play a game of sorts (albeit limited by one flipper not working and another 3rd flipper missing).

15 months on I've finally got it into the house ( combination of most DIY jobs done and lousy bank holiday weather) and ready to get going on my first attempt at fixing up. I'm expecting this to be a slow, drawn out procees z(but hopefully ultimately successful) given my limited pinball knowledge and complete absence of electronics expertise etc! Please be 'gentle & understanding' with replies!

Unfortunately after the period of storage in the garage the machine doesn't fire up as it used to - you get loud 'beep', a couple of clunks and then nothing other than this sequence on the display:

Pressing the test mode button doesn't generate much more - I can cycle through the test modes (with the test button), but it appears not to do any of the tests. Pressing the 'play' button doesn't do anything and I just hear a quiet 'beep' off the right flipper (which it makes even when powered off). Following image is of one part of the test mode display which may mean something? Also an image of the display indicating 2 credits are in the machine (apparently!).

View attachment 28388 View attachment 28387

allways a good idea to check the cpu voltage as the potentiometer used on power supply was cack.re testing manual tells how to do that correctly.gotts won't start without correct balls.make sure too interlock,if fitted has button pushed in else solenoids wont worke battery its prob 20 odd year old replace it-standard practice

test procedure eg solenoids.press test4 times till ya get to relay,solenoid test.then press start to start test.flipper buttons allow ya to choose which solenois

Cheers Paul - I'll add some additional vocal support on your behalf. We 'stuffed' them away earlier in the season, which undoubtedly means we're up for an embarassing reversal on Saturday, but hopefully not!

Nice one Nick :) Great to see Exeter do us a favor (and a nice win for you guys too!!) :D

With Plymouth losing, and Accrington drawing - Back up into 3rd with 4 GD in hand :)

Nice one Nick :) Great to see Exeter do us a favor (and a nice win for you guys too!!) :D

With Plymouth losing, and Accrington drawing - Back up into 3rd with 4 GD in hand :)

'We' certainly enjoyed the result today - not much beats 92nd minute winner against the local team, especially when you're one nil down at 80 mins & the winner is a global like this: (runner up sky goal of the day)
https://t.co/8ZWCABh87O

We'll claim an assist as well as our sponsor board plats a someone role behind the flight of the ball;)

Back on topic, decided not to continue 'fiddling' with the machine tonight as slightly concerned that 5 pints of Thatchers & 240V might not mix too well:confused::tut:

Had a quick look last night and it's now sorted. :clap:

Nicks now got the long job of sorting out all the minor faults like missing flipper, new rubbers, etc. :cool:

There was a power supply issue with (I think - not got the manual to hand) the 16v supply line down. Once that was sorted it fired up to life.

Had a quick look last night and it's now sorted. :clap:

Nicks now got the long job of sorting out all the minor faults like missing flipper, new rubbers, etc. :cool:

Cheers Peter - much appreciated :thumbs::thumbs:

Look forward to picking it back up at the next Special When Lit League meet on 4th June!,:)

Back
Top Bottom