What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GOTG Code

I’ve often wondered how many people move a pin on without completing end game (I’m talking the deeper or more modern games)
I get the feeling some put it on super easy with 5 balls the day before it leaves to see endgame as I’ve had an uncanny amount of pins that are this way when I first switch them on.
Like @cyberkryten I’ve yet to reach endgame on my Hobbit or GOTG and I’ve had em a couple of year now so I must be crap.

ball save just means instead of three balls you get 6... 12 second ball save on this game is super generous, really 5 is all you need to make sure you don't get a bum feed off the slings.

for people who have accurate shots this game is easy hence why lightning flippers are a must have.

ball save just means instead of three balls you get 6... 12 second ball save on this game is super generous, really 5 is all you need to make sure you don't get a bum feed off the slings.

for people who have accurate shots this game is easy hence why lightning flippers are a must have.

Yeah I’m back to factory settings now, I think it’ll take a while to get to Save Xandar now, Cherry Bomb I’ll get to fairly frequently - seems a good balance on factory settings.
Really enjoying it, quite long games as it’s easier than I thought it would be, might help that I’ve had Metallica for a while now [emoji1598]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can someone confirm this please:
I think I’ve worked out how this works, just wanted to check.
So.... in GOTG, once you complete a mode, Version 2 of that mode starts (this requires a number of ramps, switches or pops etc depending on the mode).
If you start another mode - the version 2 mode is ‘paused’
If you complete say 3 modes, inbetween modes ALL 3 version 2 modes will be in play (their respective character inserts are lit & flashing on the ramp, orbit etc entrances)

Is this correct, I’m pretty sure I had 3 V2 modes running at once.

Someone in the know please have a check.

Cheers
Andy

Can someone confirm this please:
I think I’ve worked out how this works, just wanted to check.
So.... in GOTG, once you complete a mode, Version 2 of that mode starts (this requires a number of ramps, switches or pops etc depending on the mode).
If you start another mode - the version 2 mode is ‘paused’
If you complete say 3 modes, inbetween modes ALL 3 version 2 modes will be in play (their respective character inserts are lit & flashing on the ramp, orbit etc entrances)

Is this correct, I’m pretty sure I had 3 V2 modes running at once.

Someone in the know please have a check.

Cheers
Andy

It's been a while (hence me getting SX & II the wrong way round) bit iirc

Starting a mode and making a minimal no. of shots causes that insert to flash.
Completing the mode by making all of the shots causes the insert to be lit solid and then awards the bonus (V2). This doesn't stop you progressing or starting any other modes.

On GOTG specifically, putting lightning flippers on only really makes it harder to shoot the mode start it doesn't drastically decrease ball time.
A bigger difference is setting Groot to virtual locks only.

As with the vast majority of games, sling shot sensitivity is the major factor in making a game harder, moreso than steepness, ball save time, or outlane width

You’re right about the inserts (flashing for part completion, solid for complete) but I’m referring to the character inserts spread over the playfield not the cluster of 8 at the bottom.
V2 doesn’t stop you starting a new mode, but from what I can tell, during the dead time inbetween modes, V2 carries on I think. On top of that more than one V2 can run at once.
I may do some glass off shortly to test.

<sigh> Still not got that far on AIQ.

Wayne, you got those the wrong way round. Immolation is getting half progress in all the modes (so they are flashing on the playfield) and from watching Josh is the one that has really big points.

Save Xandar is completing all modes (solid on playfield), including multi balls.

<another sigh> Owned GOTG for ages and still haven't got to Save Xandar, having bricked the scoop shot at every opportunity.
The REALLY big points come from getting to SX and II at the end of a long ball, when all of your shot multipliers are lit.
Nothing more infuriating than draining when they are all lit and then starting II at the start of a new ball.

It's been a while (hence me getting SX & II the wrong way round) bit iirc

Starting a mode and making a minimal no. of shots causes that insert to flash.
Completing the mode by making all of the shots causes the insert to be lit solid and then awards the bonus (V2). This doesn't stop you progressing or starting any other modes.

On GOTG specifically, putting lightning flippers on only really makes it harder to shoot the mode start it doesn't drastically decrease ball time.
A bigger difference is setting Groot to virtual locks only.

As with the vast majority of games, sling shot sensitivity is the major factor in making a game harder, moreso than steepness, ball save time, or outlane width

well the audits don't agree with you you in scoring and times but over time people get use to them and it doesn't make any shot harder but does make some more risky. The key thing that makes a game hard is the speed of the ball.

sling shot sensitivity doesn't really phase the top players.

sling shot sensitivity doesn't really phase the top players.
That's because the top players keep the ball away from the slingshots, as they know that they are the major 'weapon' in the designers ****nal to make the player lose the ball.
The key thing that makes a game hard is the speed of the ball
Rubbish. There are not many EM games that have longer ball times than modern games, despite playing much slower.
Having a game set as steep as possible does inherently make it harder.

That's because the top players keep the ball away from the slingshots, as they know that they are the major 'weapon' in the designers ****nal to make the player lose the ball.

Dumb question, is that by shot selection (not taking shots that end up there), accuracy (not missing other shots) - both I guess? Seems harder on some games where you have to shoot for things that cause bounce backs, but I guess the idea then is you complete everything with 'safe' shots first?

It's the one thing that is guaranteed to rile Josh, the 'unfair' lob of the ball between slingshots and then fired at light-speed into an outlane. Pointing out he bricked the shot before to end up in the slingshots doesn't seem to help calm his twitch-era rage...

Not helped by the fact that Deadpool always had a tendency to fire the ball OVER the opposing slingshot into the outlane, which does feel very unfair.

Rubbish. There are not many EM games that have longer ball times than modern games, despite playing much slower.
Having a game set as steep as possible does inherently make it harder.

THE TOP PLAYERS KEEP THE BALL AWAY FROM THE SLINGSHOTS -
_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.jpg

LOL Every major event on the planet is making games go faster and faster (and I've helped setup the games in two majors so far!) but in Pinball Liverpool Wayne is making them slower and adjusting the **** that makes no difference. And todays obvious word for Wayne is "Relative!". in my view its a combination of things that makes game harder but underlining it is speed of the ball (hence why on my GOTG I have Vlocks as well as lightning flippers and a very fast playfield for tournaments).

4y3rp7.jpg

Wayne I've heard if you make the glass opaque (I realise that's a big word; it means you can't see through it), that games get harder - Waits for Pinball Liverpool to take an opposing view. Whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dumb question, is that by shot selection (not taking shots that end up there), accuracy (not missing other shots) - both I guess? Seems harder on some games where you have to shoot for things that cause bounce backs, but I guess the idea then is you complete everything with 'safe' shots first?

It's the one thing that is guaranteed to rile Josh, the 'unfair' lob of the ball between slingshots and then fired at light-speed into an outlane. Pointing out he bricked the shot before to end up in the slingshots doesn't seem to help calm his twitch-era rage...

Not helped by the fact that Deadpool always had a tendency to fire the ball OVER the opposing slingshot into the outlane, which does feel very unfair.

RIsk/Reward is one of the key methods of rules in pinball today (Especially KME games but also in GNR, Led Zeppelin). Its all about greed :D You are trying to find the highest scores with the lowest risk. If you don't want to be ****ed off by the sling shots, don't losel control of the ball; the out laines on recent modern Sterns are particularly painful because the "wall" is made of metal and when the ball hits it there is no rebound, on wood you get some rebound and can often nudge out. Or you need to have multi ball running or ball save. Ball save lengthens games massively. If you look at lot of games where they have hungry out lanes they often add in kickback or a virtual kickback and you see top players keen to re-light that when they use it. Dialed In left out lane is really tough but the kickback makes It more manageable.

If the game is firing the ball in the air over stuff, something isn't right with it, my DP doesn't fire the ball over into the out lane unless its in multi ball or something and you get a ricochet.

Oh and for home use - set it up how you like it - doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Owned this for two days and just completed final Wizard mode - is that normal for a very average player?

Also has anyone tried playing this with movie lines turned off - I’m 50/50 currently how I prefer it but some of the movie quotes go on a bit, aren’t too relevant and not that clear to understand either.
e70f0802ce8e1a07b10f3adaaea32314.jpg

aw now come on, your real challenge was to beat those big high scores i left for you!!

If the game is firing the ball in the air over stuff, something isn't right with it, my DP doesn't fire the ball over into the out lane unless its in multi ball or something and you get a ricochet.

Something weird going on as I've had it on GOTG, DP and Greg's IMDN all in single ball play and have to turn the sling power down in settings. Anyone know what the power regulation is like on Spike2 machines? Mine seems to hit 240v+ quite often off peak, so could be related to that if the power to them isn't capped.

I've had it on DP and Imdn here too so not sure it's only your power.

Could it be related to sling shot rubbers? (Ie: loose) I’ve not had this at all on DP or IMDN. Maybe simply lower the sling shot coil power?

I replaced the stock rubbers on DP and that reduced sling power but it still does it event with those and power reduced

The power supplies are pretty decent in delivering power - but the coils are powered by the caps at the back and I'd have thought they'd be a bottleneck from a voltage or current POV?

the only time I've seen a raised ball regularly was on my IMDN when the ball is released from the underworld and you hit it late, but that was being caused by a rubber not pushed down enough on the flipper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Owned this for two days and just completed final Wizard mode - is that normal for a very average player?

Also has anyone tried playing this with movie lines turned off - I’m 50/50 currently how I prefer it but some of the movie quotes go on a bit, aren’t too relevant and not that clear to understand either.
e70f0802ce8e1a07b10f3adaaea32314.jpg

Update:
Since going back to standard factory settings I feel this is now perfect. I’m using the standard code too just with the film quotes turned off. Not quite broke a billion...yet. Feel that Save Xandar is achievable but definitely won’t be easy. And my 2 favourite multi ball modes in any game so far are in this one!
Orb MB is a rush at the very start trying to get that hurry up as quickly as possible and this is then replicated when you qualify the Super Jackpot - gets the heart pumping.
And CHERRY BOMB!! - trying to nail Groots mouth for the Super Jackpot with 5 other balls in the way (there’s a sentence you don’t hear a lot [emoji848]) along with the 60sec time limit, love it.
.....still doesn’t beat Iron Maiden though..with stock music [emoji1598]

Try turning the groot motor off and put in virtual locks and see how it goes.

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

this was more about making the game different than anything else.

Neil.

try maxing out your points in sibling rivalry 1 with combo's, playfield X's and rampage running with groot ready. straight after completeing sibling rivalry 1, keeping rampage running start groot, re lock 2 balls in the groot then take the sibling rivalry 2 shot on the right ramp on a combo from the left. that is a HUGE points shot if you do it that way with the balls still locked, iv had it upto nearly 2.5 billion! And its challenging!!

Back
Top Bottom