What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good set of balls?....... er.. Polaris by Ninja pinball for Metallica?

Den - aka Wolfgang

Site Supporter
Does anyone recommend Polaris balls?
Looking on Pinball Bazaar it looks like these would be good for my MET Pro, as they are suitable for machines with no magnet's? (Are pinball Bazaar general good re: shipping time?)

I either have an issue on my machine where the balls are becoming magnetised, or a ball trough opto issue (likely the latter), as especially during say Battery CII mode, my flippers go dead out of nowhere and the ball drains (no tilt etc) - I'd like to rule out both issues and likely could use some new balls anyway so, and advice on which balls and where's best to order from in the U.K would be great.

Thanks all - Den

Or most likely the connectors to the ball trough need reseating. Stern of this era are know for having the same problem.

Take the connector off and then push back on - in most cases this will cure the problem.

Or most likely the connectors to the ball trough need reseating. Stern of this era are know for having the same problem.

Take the connector off and then push back on - in most cases this will cure the problem.
Thanks Wayne, I thought as much from a thread I found on pinside; will do as suggested tonight. Any thoughts on a new set of balls? (opening myself up for a few comments here I know,,,!)

The vast majority of balls are the same. I bought Polaris & Ninja from @James at Pinball Bazaar, and although you notice how much shinier they are when you first put them in the machine after a couple of games you hardly notice the difference.
Most important is to change out any balls as soon as you notice any damage on them - as they'll just damage your playfield even quicker.
Next most important is to use carbon balls in games with high magnetic use, and/or swap balls out (or demagnetise) as soon as you notice them sticking together as this will cause problems - most noticeable in the trough.

The vast majority of balls are the same. I bought Polaris & Ninja from @James at Pinball Bazaar, and although you notice how much shinier they are when you first put them in the machine after a couple of games you hardly notice the difference.
Most important is to change out any balls as soon as you notice any damage on them - as they'll just damage your playfield even quicker.
Next most important is to use carbon balls in games with high magnetic use, and/or swap balls out (or demagnetise) as soon as you notice them sticking together as this will cause problems - most noticeable in the trough.
Thanks again Wayne - I'll be ordering some Polaris balls then!; I managed to get 3 balls stuck together during Grave marker multi-ball the other night (was pretty cool when MB ended and the drop targets popped back up - balls came out once I've hit all 3 targets again).

For what its worth I bought standard Stern Balls for a Star Trek Vengeance and within 30 plays the balls magnetised to each other. I switched those out for Polaris and the issue went away.

If you have a game with Magnets on the playfield. I would get polaris.

Last edited:
Hi all just resurrecting this thread as got the same issue occurring at the moment. I actually think its the same table that Den used to have! 😄 thought you'd be happy to know sparky is still out there busting our balls!

What was the fix on this in the end? As straight forward as getting a new set of carbon balls or something more fundamental?

One of the messages suggest reseating the connectors in the ball trough area, if that was the issue can someone describe to me as a pin mech noobie (but trying to slowly learn) which are the areas I should be looking & testing?

Hi all just resurrecting this thread as got the same issue occurring at the moment. I actually think its the same table that Den used to have! 😄 thought you'd be happy to know sparky is still out there busting our balls!

What was the fix on this in the end? As straight forward as getting a new set of carbon balls or something more fundamental?

One of the messages suggest reseating the connectors in the ball trough area, if that was the issue can someone describe to me as a pin mech noobie (but trying to slowly learn) which are the areas I should be looking & testing?
If its the one I had dave, was just a case of buying some carbon balls 👍🏻 - sounds like it's just time to do the same. Don't know who sells them in the u.k now, as pinball Bazaar is gone.

Ok thanks mate, really appreciate that! any idea what about that is causing the trough opto to trigger?

Ok thanks mate, really appreciate that! any idea what about that is causing the trough opto to trigger?
No idea, sorry mate; it's been through I think 3 or 4 people now since I had it.
If I had to guess, I'd say maybe shaker motor moving the opto connectors? (Could just try un-replugging in and seeing if that sorts it)

Back
Top Bottom