What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GnR Troubleshooting - No balls / Plunger Idly firing

For sanity, anytime someone asks me to check Jc pin x, this always bare/without any connection to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50fcc0372b877aa3ca9059111ab7229c.jpg

21b984d93d36225ac1ab37341325c194.jpg

I wish people who can’t do repairs nor are interested in doing them to any working standard just wouldn’t do them.

Gonna resolder some of these.

Progress. Made a new molex connector on J5 (these wires were soldered on?) and replaced some terrible soldering with below average soldering. Some cold solders on relays, fuse connectors and Q3. Some pins on J5 had even been soldered in contact with the adjacent pin.

The game now boots as before but the flippers are actually working/the play field is live on game start as opposed to it seeming like a game was starting and just firing the launcher with no flippers. The ball eject coil is firing but at a whimper, the ball is just flinching in the eject hole. The launch is firing thereafter but there’s no ball...

I put a ball in and we fire and the game feels like it’s working until! The same coils don’t work, but I do believe they’re whimpering now.

Update, more things working (including some insert flashers I didn’t even know existed) but still issues on 6 ball lock out, Eject, VUK, Scoop, everything in the VIO ribbon
with one exception, the 6 ball lockout fires super gently. Another thing has started happening that wasn't happening before, I can audibly hear the relay click everytime it switches on a test.

Gonna take stock and tomorrow might just check all those transistors for a change of pace since hopefully something corrected itself on the PPB.

Last edited:
Had a few spare hours so I just tore the boards out and reflowed everything and double checked all the continuity and connections. Replaced some fuse holders that had been soldered (?). Checked all the transistors, fine. Booted it up, Eject and Ball launch fired for the first time and it tried to work, however, a ball already lodged in the VUK stayed there the whole game and was never released.

Tried it a second time, went back to the original problem of dry firing the auto fire.

Don't know if this sheds any light on the potential problem? All that changed between the working launch and the non working launch was me lifting and lowering the playfield. Guess I'm looking for loose wires under the playfield tomorrow.

Last edited:
Had a few spare hours so I just tore the boards out and reflowed everything and double checked all the continuity and connections. Replaced some fuse holders that had been soldered (?). Checked all the transistors, fine. Booted it up, Eject and Ball launch fired for the first time and it tried to work, however, a ball already lodged in the VUK stayed there the whole game and was never released.

Tried it a second time, went back to the original problem of dry firing the auto fire.

Don't know if this sheds any light on the potential problem? All that changed between the working launch and the non working launch was me lifting and lowering the playfield. Guess I'm looking for loose wires under the playfield tomorrow.

I would look at the trough switches and all VUK optos. If they're loose or not aligned then lifting the playfield will affect them.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Ball_Trough_Issues

Ball eject was a loose connector. Now hunting

VUK
Scoop
Trapdoor

Trapdoor was working yesterday...

So done some ground tests. Relay seems to be working correctly, it’s clicking and the Q transistors are triggering solenoids/flashers in both channels.

There’s some scorch marks on Q40 and Q41, 40 grounds fine (works in game) but 41 (scoop) and 42 (VUK) and the trap door (forget corresponding Q) fails to fire on either relay channel from grounding the transistor. They all however fire when grounded at the connector and all transistors were checked when I pulled the board in diode mode on the DMM and looked good.

At this point I'm looking at wiring/continuinty/connectors right?

Last edited:
AND WERE BACK

Coils all fire perfectly and switches all operate from test, on game start ball loads to the launch lane and the ball release coil keeps firing repeatedly.

If I shoot the gun and start the game I get 24/7 multi ball.

Back
Top Bottom