What's new

Global Shipping Program [eBay]

Sako-TRG

Site Supporter
Hi All,

Say, buying something off eBay.com
Seller is using the Global Shipping Program.
Using this program - the seller ships to a local address and the agent then ships to the destination country.
In theory all duty + taxes + costs are visible at checkout and paid up front by the buyer.
So leading to my Q:-

Has anyone on here been stiffed by the item requiring further clearance payments by HMRC upon arrival?

Cheers....

I “think” when I’ve purchased through the global shipping i’ve paid customs and taxes on top of the purchase price when buying so no shouldn’t be anything else to pay?
Probably some fine print somewhere though

Hi All,

Say, buying something off eBay.com
Seller is using the Global Shipping Program.
Using this program - the seller ships to a local address and the agent then ships to the destination country.
In theory all duty + taxes + costs are visible at checkout and paid up front by the buyer.
So leading to my Q:-

Has anyone on here been stiffed by the item requiring further clearance payments by HMRC upon arrival?

Cheers....

Yes

I have used it no problem and no additional charges, just paid them up front through the global shipping programme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently brought something from America and I had to pay £35 customs/import tax on a item that cost £230, so worth checking.

I have used ebay global shipping for loads of purchases from USA - never had to pay any additional taxes, that's the whole point of it, you pay the taxes upfront.

I have used ebay global shipping for loads of purchases from USA - never had to pay any additional taxes, that's the whole point of it, you pay the taxes upfront.
Agreed, from what i read but when you read this small part then click the link, the small print starts quoting clauses see attached....thought i'd check with you guys.Screen Shot 07-17-20 at 05.23 PM.PNG

I literally had a delivery this week which came via the global shipping program - I emailed ebay to ask the question why I had been charged £35 and they replied with: Some International postage of items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges. Customs charges are applied to imports into the EU with a value of over £15 for VAT and all items valued over £135 will attract import duty.

^^^^^FFS^^^^^^
Now I’m confuddled.......
But, it doesn’t surprise me as there’s always some *****r in the food chain who either doesn’t know the ropes or wants to monopolise the system.

I literally had a delivery this week which came via the global shipping program - I emailed ebay to ask the question why I had been charged £35 and they replied with: Some International postage of items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges. Customs charges are applied to imports into the EU with a value of over £15 for VAT and all items valued over £135 will attract import duty.
I have brought in stuff worth £300-£500 recently, paid the import duty to ebay upfront and that's it.

TBH - what they have said there is for items where you haven’t already paid via the Global Shipping Program. It looks like the eBay Agent is confusing you with standard duties outside the program perhaps?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/...d/international-purchases-postage-buy?id=4057

"Import charges
Import charges for items purchased through the Global Shipping Programme include fees charged by the global shipping provider.

Import charges include:

• Sales, goods and services
  • Value added taxes
  • Duties
  • Tariffs
  • Excise taxes
  • Other amounts assessed or levied by any government authority in connection with the importation of goods into the applicable country of importation
  • Third party brokerage fees (including advancement and disbursement charges and customs brokers handling and filing fees
  • Penalties
  • Classification charges associated with the assignment of a Harmonized System ("HS") classification code
  • Charges for export compliance screening and verification and the assignment of an Export Control Classification Number (ECCN)
  • Charges relating to the management of variances between the quoted import charges and actual costs
Import charges are in addition to the customs duties and taxes imposed by country tax and customs officials. For more information about applicable fees, see our article on the Global Shipping Programme."

So it includes All the list above. The very last line is confusing, but I would always have a go at ebay if you get charged twice

small stuff with royal mail has gone through fine with global shipping program for me,but I did get screwed by a pcb that went via parcelforce through them,and got lumbered with a handling fee as well as customs charge

Yeah = Pitney pay all the import duty etc....

THE PROBLEM IS WITH THE GLOBAL SHIPPING IS THIS:
They repackage at their centres.

I sent off a fender strat guitar body, double boxed. Was damaged when it arrived and I asked to see the box. It was only inside a single box. They pack EVERYTHING down to the smallest size, sod the packing! Actually lost the paypal case as the buyer wanted a refund.

I bought something via global shipping and it took WEEKS to get here. The seller sent it to them quick, and I believe it was litrealy shipped - very slow.

What I do now is ask the seller to send to me direct. Allow 23% on top for charges.

The positive side about global shipping is you will not need to pay ANY extra charges.

Last edited:
I've bought several items between about $25 to $150 via the ebay global shipping prog out of the USA and never been charged extra beyond what I paid at checkout. Mine were packed in large packets/small boxes, so not overly bulky. Good tracking info provided by ebay while items in transit. Seems like a good service.

Used it lots of times never had any agro. Although they use the carnival of village idiots yodel to do the last mile here in the Uk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom