What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sold Ghostbusters LE £9950

11K for a ghostbusters holy moly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Apparently a Tron LE sold in the States for $25k. It was numbered 1 of 400, but even so.

What with this cryptos going crazy I think (some) people have got cabin fever and a surplus of cash from not going on holidays and working from home.

Apparently a Tron LE sold in the States for $25k. It was numbered 1 of 400, but even so.

What with this cryptos going crazy I think (some) people have got cabin fever and a surplus of cash from not going on holidays and working from home.
Yeah, I followed that thread for a bit, I believe the seller actually came forward later and stated it wasn’t #1 - it was any old number.
The guy he sold it to was minted and probably didn’t know any better.

Wait what! So is someone here posing as a "genuine" forum member but actually working for Williams Amusement or is someone buying and selling them on acting as a middle-man?

Neither seem very ethical nor in keeping with what I thought was the ethos of this site.

Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

Wait what! So is someone here posing as a "genuine" forum member but actually working for Williams Amusement or is someone buying and selling them on acting as a middle-man?

Neither seem very ethical nor in keeping with what I thought was the ethos of this site.

The game was posted for sale to the forum first to give someone on here the pleasure of owning the game. The one solid offer I received from eBay initially broke down. I found Williams amusements brilliant to deal with , there was no hassle and Jon made instant payment. I would highly recommend them. I still made a site donation even though the game didn’t sell on here

Looks awesome, may have to drop in.
There's a school close by, so no lack of customers :)
Screen Shot 05-09-21 at 04.41 PM.PNG

Why would someone from a company not be a “genuine” forum member? Phil P and Andy N are both members

To be clear, I didn't single out any individuals.

To clarify my question, which Chris B and AllstarDK have already answered, I was merely asking whether there was a forum member/s buying from the forum and selling at an inflated price with little to no evidence that value had be added. I went on to add that such actions, in my view, were not in the spirit of the forum.

To be clear, I didn't single out any individuals.

To clarify my question, which Chris B and AllstarDK have already answered, I was merely asking whether there was a forum member/s buying from the forum and selling at an inflated price with little to no evidence that value had be added. I went on to add that such actions, in my view, were not in the spirit of the forum.
I fail to understand if someone as an individual, or from a company buys a machine at an asking price on here And then goes on to sell it for a profit, this is considered bad form. Surely the asking price was wrong or there is a different market.

I’m against machines being bought to be stored to “sit on” as an investment but I couldn’t care less what someone sells or buys a machine for if it’s being played and enjoyed. So if someone buys a machine on here for two grand and then sells it for three or four or ten, I’m really not bothered, why are you?

OP got what he wanted for his machine. Company that bought it believe they can sell it for the price they’ve listed it for. Company has overheads, has to warranty it, has to account for VAT, etc.

I think it’s generally considered opinion that no one savvy would buy from these companies, because the pins are more expensive than you can get buying privately (as evidenced from this pin). But, there are people who are happy to pay extra for peace of mind, don’t want to wait for it to appear for sale privately, etc. They are catering to a particular part of the market.

It’s a free market and if anyone had issues with whom the OP sold it to they had every opportunity to put their money where their mouth is and buy it themselves.

I'm not overly concerned but we clearly have a difference of opinion which is fine. My question was answered and I've apologise for my misunderstanding.

No dramas llamas.
No offence taken and Williams amusement s do use that as there user name so no pulling the wool over people s eyes

Different markets in the UK.

Casual Retail: You know nothing / very little about pinballs but want one. You end up at liberty games, HLD, or maybe Williams Amusements, et. al.. You pay top price. if you are lucky maybe you find PH or another decent retailer.

Ebay: Suits both the casual buyer and the more knowledgeable. Everything from brand new, to refurbed, to player condition, to projects and parts. Suits a wide range of buyers and sellers. Facebook and other on-line market places are similar.

Forum: You've found this (or an other) forum and can buy and sell to other fellow enthusiasts. You may sell at a lower price but there are virtually no fees and no real hassle. You can also buy and get a well described machine.

Same machine, different prices, to suit different market segments.

A machine trading at £1K on here is probably £1k-£1.5k on ebay and £2.5k+ on the retail sites.

I am fine with all this. What gets my back up is seeing a machine described as fully refurbed, when it clearly isn't and has just been cleaned and new rubbers added.

Thumbs up from me too for the chaps at Williams amusements, nice to deal with
Newbie pinball owner here. Williams Amusements sold me a Fish Tales described as 'in full working order'. It has an intermittent fault in the Caster's Club (due to a broken spring) and some idiot had put 3" (black) rubbers on the left slingshot meaning that the ball got stuck. Someone had also added two colour-change LEDs to the playfield - one of which had caused the bayonet socket to break.

In short, whoever did work on that machine made it worse.

Oh yes, and there's a bracket missing that I'm going to have to replace - but the part seems hard to obtain, so I may have to make a new one.

I paid over the odds for the Fish Tales, given it was lacking its fish topper as well, but I hadn't found this website and didn't have any experience of pinball machines. It was also WAYYYY cheaper than everything else at retail. Given they had a workshop, and I assumed that they had actually serviced the machine in some way or other, it also seemed a safer bet than trying to gauge the quality of a machine on eBay.

Anyway, I now have had a vertical learning curve on maintaining and doing minor repairs on a Fish Tales.

Newbie pinball owner here. Williams Amusements sold me a Fish Tales described as 'in full working order'. It has an intermittent fault in the Caster's Club (due to a broken spring) and some idiot had put 3" (black) rubbers on the left slingshot meaning that the ball got stuck. Someone had also added two colour-change LEDs to the playfield - one of which had caused the bayonet socket to break.

Oh yes, and there's a bracket missing that I'm going to have to replace - but the part seems hard to obtain, so I may have to make a new one.

I paid over the odds for the Fish Tales, given it was lacking its fish topper as well, but I hadn't found this website and didn't have any experience of pinball machines. It was also WAYYYY cheaper than everything else at retail. Given they had a workshop, and I assumed that they had actually serviced the machine in some way or other, it also seemed a safer bet than trying to gauge the quality of a machine on eBay.

Anyway, I now have had a vertical learning curve on maintaining and doing minor repairs on a Fish Tales.

That's.... Crappy.
Do they not offer some sort of warranty or support?

At least you're here now, part of the joy (for me at least) of owning a pinball machine is looking after it.
Often day to day issues are simple to rectify. Things switches not registering, a broken plastic, wires coming loose, bulbs or lamps not working.
Little adjustments are part of owning pinball machines and I'm often curious about those who buy from places like Williams, or HLD.
Are they not into pinball enough to notice problems? My pins are so well looked after but I still end up tweaking stuff often (sometimes weekly!). Maybe sometimes I wonder if I'm too much a perfectionist or too obsverant for pinball

Just part of owning a pinball machine unfortunately! At least you're here now, where there's so much help and advice, and your fish tales will be in good working order apart from the little niggles so a good starting point to learn as issues come up 😊

A year ago I knew nothing about the workings of a pinball machine. Now I have four and I've learnt as I went with help from here 😊

Imagine dropping 11 THOUSAND POUNDS on Ghostbusters. Several games in you've played Okay Who Brought the Dog 50 times, drained from air balls over and over, realised Ray Charles designed the layout and got fed up with Ernie Hudson, just as the Scolari brothers pop up or you get stuck in looping supers for the thousandth time you catch a glimpse of your reflection in the translite and realise what you've done

I've been to see so many games that came out of "games dealers" - pretty much every single one has made me think of third market car "dealers".

I'm a minority partner in a company that carries out debt recovery and I'm going to say around 20% of claims are folks who bought a car from a used dealer, its probably the next biggest thing after housing landlords and dodgy builders.

they basically try to buy working cars with decent MOT no obvious dings in them as low as they can, maybe fix anything glaring obvious (dead indicator bulb or top up the wiper fluid); they will wash it with dirty water and a sponge.

Basically sell something around at least 2K over its real value. Tell you there is a warranty, alot of cases life is good; not because of what they have done but because of either what the previous owner did, or the manufacturer. however I'd guess around 15% are total ****shows. They sell cars that have significant issues, the warranty suddenly doesn't apply because SOMETHING you did or didn't do (like fill in some online stupid form or you charged the tyres) and you end up spending a few thousand getting something fixed that should never have been broken. The smart people goto the high court, they _all_ win their case and the dealers get ordered to cough up the money, but the dealers refuse to pay and we have to go in and get the money.

Screenshot 2021-08-06 at 08.58.38.png

they basically try to buy working cars with decent MOT no obvious dings in them as low as they can, maybe fix anything glaring obvious (dead indicator bulb or top up the wiper fluid); they will wash it with dirty water and a sponge.
Well, it would have been nice if they’d bothered to clean the playfield… 👀

That's.... Crappy.
Do they not offer some sort of warranty or support?
[RANT] I sent the guy from Williams Amusements a picture of the ball jam on the left slingshot. He told me to move the star post. By this point, I’d already taken the slingshot apart, so I knew the star posts didn’t move and it looked like some problem with the rubbers. Some kind dudes on Pinside confirmed, from my photos, that it was - indeed - the slingshot rubbers.

I bought new slingshot rubbers and discovered that, yep, someone had shoved a couple of 3” black rubbers onto the slingshots so the ball got repeatedly jammed in the left lane. It’s like literally no one played the thing after changing the rubbers to test it was working… [END RANT]

Seriously, I wouldn’t rely on Williams Amusements to buy back my grandmother’s ashes…

Back
Top Bottom