What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting a pin up flights of stairs?

TOMORROW I am moving a NIB Stern upstairs.

Done many machines - JJP's are the worst, followed by wide body Bally/Williams (TZ/RS/JD).....

I split into these parts:
Playfield glass.....
Back glass......
Legs etc
Playfield out first
Back box off next
Main cab

Much easier with two. For getting playfield in and out, and for taking cab upstairs.

Never used a motorized stair truck for a pinball but moved a drinks machine with one. Not as easy as what you think. Can be a pain to turn on the stairs and you do need wide steps. You could not use one in my terrace house.

Most companies get you to go onto a training course before you can even hire one of these stair climbers.

Ah well, just be thankful, I moved a Banzai run up two flights of stairs two months ago, I swear I can still feel it on my back! That came apart into two boxes, two playfields, two glasses and the legs.... Even the back box is a monster. Then, because it's complex and finicky, you then spend ages getting it working right again!

On the noise front, both of mine are upstairs in an old house with solid wooden floors. The Mrs did complain both that BR and the Road Kings were very noisy but luckily I came up with a plan: IKEA Make a 150x80 rug which is ideal for under a pin (HELLESTED I think) and while that dampens a bit, it's not perfect. I then added some inch thick rubber gym mats, you can find them on the bay under "Big Rhino". These are designed to protect you floor from weights and they do a very good job of isolating the pin from the floor. Your mileage may vary of course but I hope that helps a little if you get complaints!
Many thanks for the advice; I've made note of the rug and the gym matts. You've restored some Hope!😀
Will measure the lift when we pick up thr keys, but I do remember thinking when I saw it that it was small.

TOMORROW I am moving a NIB Stern upstairs.

Done many machines - JJP's are the worst, followed by wide body Bally/Williams (TZ/RS/JD).....

I split into these parts:
Playfield glass.....
Back glass......
Legs etc
Playfield out first
Back box off next
Main cab

Much easier with two. For getting playfield in and out, and for taking cab upstairs.

Never used a motorized stair truck for a pinball but moved a drinks machine with one. Not as easy as what you think. Can be a pain to turn on the stairs and you do need wide steps. You could not use one in my terrace house.

Most companies get you to go onto a training course before you can even hire one of these stair climbers.
I'll have to do some research on this if I end up having to use the stairs; I haven't removed a playfield or anything like that before.
Have plenty of time to look in to things like that, as would be Xmas at the absolute earliest I think before I can buy anything.

I'll have to do some research on this if I end up having to use the stairs; I haven't removed a playfield or anything like that before.
Have plenty of time to look in to things like that, as would be Xmas at the absolute earliest I think before I can buy anything.
Removing the playfield from a modern stern is dead easy - just a few cables to disconnect on the back (they're all different so you won't be able to plug them back in wrong). You can do it on your own if you're strong but highly recommend having a second person to help you lift it out.

I can’t see how it wouldn’t fit in a lift TBH. I’m in the fire service and do lift rescues often. Even lifts in small shops you’d fit in no problem. (Up on its end) I can’t see how I’m a domestic block it wouldn’t fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a bloody good point! For some reason when I saw the lift I though no chance, but maybe I was just picturing tying tying get my soon to be scrapped virtual pin cab in there where the backbox doesn't fold down.
I wonder if i could even fit a widebody in there tombstoned🤔
I'll measure the lift next week and report back 👍🏻

That's a bloody good point! For some reason when I saw the lift I though no chance, but maybe I was just picturing tying tying get my soon to be scrapped virtual pin cab in there where the backbox doesn't fold down.
I wonder if i could even fit a widebody in there tombstoned🤔
I'll measure the lift next week and report back 👍🏻
Widebodies need no extra room in a lift.

If the lift door is at least 80cm wide you're fine. Then it needs to be deep enough that you can close the doors with the depth of the cab+backbox.

Back
Top Bottom