What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gerry Stellenbergs patents

A shocking waste of money (only the patent attorney wins here!). Worryingly (for him!) specific/narrow 'claim 1's' on these applications too which would be easy to invent around... Also think the granted patent claims would be challengeable based on prior art in the Powerball in TZ (prox sensors/change state) etc.

Sometimes I do wonder why there is so much focus on throwing money at bad IP - makes very little commercial sense at times (though I know that's slightly hypocritical being my job)

[ACCOUNT NUKED]

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a read of the claims (that's what is 'covered'. Don't get hung up on the abstract, drawings etc. It's the claims that he would have to show are being infringed (and again, ignore 'dependent' claims i.e. The claim in [x] being a [x] so and so'. - basically just refinements). So if you can invalidate his claim 1 (on which most of his claims are dependent) -

A method, comprising:
electronically determining a physical property of a ball, the ball configured to move within a playfield of a pinball machine during a pinball game; and
modifying a characteristic of a light emitted by a pinball target within the playfield in response to an evaluation of the physical property.

he is going to be looking at a possible house of cards. Still think the Powerball makes this claim 1 'obvious' and lacking in anything particularly inventive.

In terms of how much it'd cost (using an attorney) I always say to clients to budget 1.5k to 2k for a UK patent. The US is, I can only imagine, more.... Lots!

It is how money is made - if you can protect (patent) your designs then other people have you pay you to use them (if they wish to).
As long as it is something inventive that everyone else wants, and it can't just be engineered around because of actual claim content/drafting...

[ACCOUNT NUKED]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom