What's new

Expired Gerlitz No.1 Carnuba Wax

Expired Due to no activity

DRD

Registered
Am going to order from the USA.

Have a friend that lives out there who will mail onto me.

Anyone interested in a tin ?

Need a committed order. Will be a fair share of UK and US postage charges. First 4 takers only please as I don't want to give him a headache of large parcels etc

Product about 8 usd plus postage plus any taxes

Takers .....

@Biff
@Paul
@Silverpaolo
@DanLewell

Last edited:
Nice work around David ! , the only reason Harvey Gerlitz and Eternashine stopped selling over here is because of Brexit ! ☹️

Is there a UK available alternative to Gerlitz Wax at all - lots of Carnuba Wax available on Amazon but no idea what to pick? - Any advice appreciated, it’s for waxing/maintaining modern Sterns after cleaning.

If your after a UK source for carnuba wax, a couple of us here are using Dodo Juice waxes, they do little 30ml tester pots that are ideal for pins.

I’ve used this on all my pins with no issues. Its best to let it cure overnight and multi-layer it. BSD was almost unplayable after being waxed.

Shop around though.

Collinite 845 Insulator Wax, 473 ml, white https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000JK2D06/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_QQGGEXN15W4GMAX82QYQ

lasts for ages and is easy to apply and more importantly remove.

I use it on all my games.
I use this too.

This is from a top playfield restorer Kruzman:
Quoted from Lamprey:
Ron,
I thought I read that you don’t use traditional carnauba wax, but rather a silicone-based “wax.” Is that true?
If so, do the silicone-based waxes cause issues when clearing (I.e. fish-eye) or does all the sanding make that non-issue?
Just curios, as the silicone-based waxes seems like a great way to go, but I’ve been sticking with carnauba incase I wanted to a have any cleared and not contaminate the current clear with silicone
Cheers!
More
Great question.
If you have a non cleared pf before the DMD era, then carnuba is the way to go, once you have used a cleaner to remove the oxidation, and dirt. Often those are called wax but they have scratchies in them. Only pure carnuba is a straight wax.

Then when it comes to diamond plates, I say you can use a cleaner, then carnuba, or you can go a cleaner, and then a silicone spray wax. Its a polymer that fills all of the little scrapes and holes in the surface like original wax. In this era, its whatever you have or which ever you like. still you want to clean the surface with a material that has abrasive to get it all fresh then lock it down and protect it with carbuba or silicone. seems like in this case carnuba last longer, but I like spraying the silicone on the ramps, habitrails, and even plastics. the smoother the surface the faster the ball travel, plus nothing for dust to grab on to.

Now when dealing with automotive clearcoats like everything that has been built since the year 2000. Including repros, stock sterns, My clear. With the automotive epoxy urathane, the carnuba kinda smears around, its super hard to buff out, and that is because its not enriching the lacquer like it does in the older pfs and car paints. Its just smears around the top. also carnuba is the enemy of clearcoaters. especially the body shop guts who do a dust coat rather than sand every surface. I use a dewaxer on every single pf I clear before every single coat. Though on older pfs, you need to use a brush to get inn the cracks and little areas. I am restoring an I500 and a rocky and bullwinkle pf, and before I even sanded them I de waxed them, because I didnt want to warm up and push the wax that is in a little crack even deeper or spread it around. I dont like to reveal the secrets I learned the hard way, but its for the better of the hobby.

I am sure there are plenty of opinions on that by people that have experience and people that have no frickin experience at all, but love to type. This is my opinion, and free at that, so take it for what it is worth.

If you have one of my clearcoats and want to know how to keep it up, drop me a line. I have written on it before, but I prob should like once a year.

I went to 3 guitar shops in Chicago and they had never heard of it 😳
I use the insulator wax now which seems ok to me

I use this, but nearly out so up for suggestions for all playfields if there's anything better 😁
download (2).jpeg

According to vehicle detailing forums where applying wax has been discussed in great detail, some members have access to instruments capable of measuring the thickness of wax applied and apparently there is no advantage of doing more then two coats of wax as applying anymore then starts to remove the previous coat and that the second coat of wax only gives minimal gains.

According to vehicle detailing forums where applying wax has been discussed in great detail, some members have access to instruments capable of measuring the thickness of wax applied and apparently there is no advantage of doing more then two coats of wax as applying anymore then starts to remove the previous coat and that the second coat of wax only gives minimal gains.
Is that a 'cargument' ;):)

Other than less chance of missing a bit, there really doesn't seem much benefit from multiple coats.

For old school hard waxes, they only really contain a blend of wax (beeswax, carnauba etc) and a solvent to suspend them in, which evaporates very quickly and even for the modern synthetic sealants, its hard to think of a reason anything suitable for car paint would damage a PF, perhaps the detailing spray waxes with a high quantity of water should be avoided though.

Outside of using abrasive products, I wonder if anyone has ever actually damaged a playfield from using the 'wrong' type of wax?

Back
Top Bottom