What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Games that grew on you

johnwhitfield

Site Supporter
Alias
John Whitfield
Been thinking about some games that I originally disliked on first play which then massively grew on me over time

One's which grew

1 AC/DC. Remember playing it at Matt Adam's when it first came out and not thinking it was anything special. Then getting to replay it with the new code and WOW.
2 Metallica. Excited to play it when it came out but disliked it. Picked one up a couple of months ago with new code. First 2 days nothing special (in fact still disliked the call outs and game play) and then it clicked. ****ing fantastic game can't believe how much my opinion on this one changed.
3 Spiderman. Around in the arcades when I got back into pinball and it didn't do it for me. 2 years later I was foaming at the mouth trying to track one down.

Anything you've had a major change of heart on? Anyone grown to love TOM over time?

TAF - thought it was over rated.Then one day it finally clicked-great game,tho unable to play it as much as at loan at my bothers at the mo

Afew people who have been to mine over the years thought AFM was nothing special-I told them to persevere with it,then they "got" it

Afew people who have been to mine over the years thought AFM was nothing special-I told them to persevere with it,then they "got" it

I find that with most DMD games, the level of initial complexity puts people off and it takes a while for people to not hate them.

People want fun, not a set of rules that takes 50 games to start to understand.

3 Spiderman. Around in the arcades when I got back into pinball and it didn't do it for me. 2 years later I was foaming at the mouth trying to track one down.

Spiderman was meh for me too. Felt a little cheap in terms of build quality and general vibe and I also found it a bit hard to follow what the **** was actually going on during gameplay, but it's getting better, more understandable and more enjoyable with each game so i'm on the lookout for a good one - but recently thwarted by a leaking flatroof robbing my savings. I still don't like that little ball alignment gate wotsit on the right loop though, seems like an afterthought/oversight.

You've got SM listed as 'might sell soon' in your signature thing. Is this a mistake?

Not played Metallica and not had enough time on AC/DC. Love both bands though.

Last time i went in the Intrepid Fox pub they had an Addams Family - you'd of thought AC/DC, MET, G&R or any other music themed pics would been better in there!

Fish Tales would be one for me. Although I've never hated on it, it's one of them games I just couldn't be bothered to play, would always walk past it. Used to like fishing as well. Feeling now is that it's a challenging table and can be quite difficult. Higher difficulty = Better game last-ability

Tables that tend to grow on me more now would be pre '89. Atlantis, Grand Lizard, Xenon, Laser Wars, Haunted House, Sorcerer, Mystic, Swords of Fury, Roller Disco, Genie, F-14, Gorgar...way too many.

F-14, honestly I played 1 at Daventry last year and bombed, it was short, fast and I hated it. I had a few more goes and got better and started to have a bit of fun, after that I thought if one ever popped up I would be tempted. About 2-3 months later one came along and I've had it ever since, I don't think it will be going anywhere anytime soon. Something about the fast gameplay, flashing lights and soundtrack makes it great. One I will be keeping for a while. It's horribly punishing but incredibly rewarding when you have that 1 fantastic game in a run of 9 bad ones.

For me it has to be WOZ, I played the prototype version few times when it was first released with very early code and thought what is all the fuss about with very annoying repetitive music.

Fast forward a couple of years with many code updates and it is a whole new experience. Fantastic code with a great light show and improved music to match.

Back
Top Bottom