What's new

Galaga appreciation - find me a good one online please?

cooldan

i like pizza
gif galaga3.gif gif galaga avengers.gif

i love Galaga, i played it loads as a kid, was so excited when it first came out as a sequel to the already fantastic Galaxian. Vertical shooters were my first love - 1978 Space Invaders, 1979 Galaxian, 1980 Phoenix, 1981 Galaga.

gif money in slot.gif gif space invaders.gif
gif money in slot.gif gif galaxian.gif
gif money in slot.gif gif phoenix (2).gif
gif pixels galaga.gif

i was 12 when it came out, at my most impressionable, not the jaded cynic i am today. i loved playing it last week again at NLP, got a half-decent score on it, but not the grand champ score i was hoping for. i could happily have spent 4 hours on the thing but there were always other pesky people wanting a go on it.

gif galaga6.gif gif galaga12.gif gif galaga7.gif

gif galaga7.gif gif galaga .gif gif galaga9.gif

gif galaga15.gif gif galaga16.gif

i was looking for a decent online or free download version of Galaga, but i can't find one. i tried loads of sites but the gameplay or the graphics or the speed were always off. i don't mind paying for a good one, it's only fair - but if i'm paying for it, i'd like it to be as close as possible to the original (including bugs like the ability to set up the non-shooting bug). so can anyone point me towards one i can play on my average laptop?

when i asked a 'friend' and fellow user of this forum for any tips he may have on finding one, his advice to me was this: "put your cock in a door way and slam the door on it." helpful in some ways perhaps.

anyone?

If you want it authentic and real then just runs the actual ROMs in MAME.

When you say "online" do you mean "runs in a browser" or do you just mean online somewhere for download?

If you want it authentic and real then just runs the actual ROMs in MAME.

When you say "online" do you mean "runs in a browser" or do you just mean online somewhere for download?
MAME games aren't always exactly the right speed though.

Dan is obsessed with the speed. And breasts.

Last edited:
MAME games aren't always exactly the right speed though.

Dan is obsessed with the speed. And breasts.
True, but if MAME isn't good enough (and timings can be tweaked) then your only option is the real thing! My main dislike of playing games on MAME is not having them on some crusty old out-gassed CRT.

I have Mame running on an old Jamma cab via a pc. I prefer the 620 in 1 pandoras box jobbie though as there isnt as much faffing about needed with it.

But an empty jamma cab and add a pandoras box or the like to it for less than £200 (all in)

I will have my pandoras box 4 for sale in a few weeks, replacing it with a pi3 running retro pi for far more variety. I will miss the simplicity of PB4 but its worth it I think.

thanks all. i don't want (or have space for) a mame, whatever that is, or a 60-in-1 upright cab like the Sergeant's just yet (maybe soon, i like crusty CRTs too). when i say online, i mean to play in a browser, or to download and play on the laptop offline, either one. so long as it's the right speed and, as mentioned, the breasts are right.

all the ones i tried either stuttered, the aliens came in at a crawl, they zoomed in at impossible speed, or the sizing was ridiculous so it looked like the game was being watched through binoculars from across the room. it can't be too much to ask for the screen to look the same as the original 1981 Galaga release, no bigger or smaller, without any 'upgrades' like 'Galaga 88' or the reissued 'Galaga 2005' or that other nonsense. i even paid a bundle to download a version on ipad, but it turned out to be an 'updated' 'Galaga 30th anniversary collection' version that both looked, sounded and played like ****.

I bought one of the PI consoles off ebay last week. **** loads of games and takes up **** all room. Runs MAME, SEGA, Nintendo, PlayStation etc. About £120 inc wireless controllers.

Sorry @cooldan. My suggestion may have been misleading. When I said MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator) I didn't mean get a full size arcade cabinet!

I meant download and run MAME on your laptop! Getting and installing MAME is very easy, usually just a case of unzipping the download. The hard part is finding the ROMs because they're all copyright.

But a man with your impeccable taste in female imagery will surely be able to Google "galaga rom"... ;)

I meant download and run MAME on your laptop! Getting and installing MAME is very easy, usually just a case of unzipping the download. The hard part is finding the ROMs because they're all copyright. But a man with your impeccable taste in female imagery will surely be able to Google "galaga rom"... ;)
c'mon dude, hook a brother up. i need mame download, unzipping (easy now), and a link to the ROM
there's loads of boob gifs in it for you, many here can testify to the quality of these not-made-public spectaculars

@Nedreud is back!

Glad to see you strutting your stuff on the forum again after your successful stint as a strutter in the tv ads

image.jpeg

Thanks Dan, I've just wasted the last hour of my life playing Galaga on my bartop cab
I'd forgotten how addictive it is

Here is the link to the latest MAME build - http://mamedev.org/release.html

If you do manage find the rom 'somewhere' drop it (still zipped ;) ) into the roms folder, run mame and away you go.

Having decided the bartop was too small do Galaxian justice I have been a little more ambitious over the last few weeks and created, after many many trips to B+Q, a (near) full size toy....
Much better now ;)
(Still needs a few finishing touches, but now it works they'll take forever no doubt)
WP_20161122_20_24_07_Pro.jpg

Back
Top Bottom