What's new

Funhouse - rebuilt top flipper, now ball travels at lightspeed

Durzel

Registered
Hi,

I rebuilt my friends upper left flipper on Funhouse yesterday. it wasn't broken or particularly worn (as far as I can see - I've attached before and after images) before, but I'd already rebuilt the lower ones so figured I might as well do all three.

All went well, and I'm pretty sure it's all aligned correctly, but now there is a problem that it fires the ball around the loop with such ferocity that it has on occasion - most of the time in fact - flown straight out of the loop and dropped on the other side of it, where the ball normally ends up when plunged (Rudy's Hideout). If it does go around the loop it goes around like a bullet. I don't exactly know how it is going airborne, possibly off the trap door?

I haven't changed the coil or anything, but obviously everything is totally clean and new. The only real difference is that I gapped the EOS switch so that it opened right at the very end of the stroke, just barely. Would this make the flipper noticeably more powerful?

Also - ignore the coil wrapper change - it's the same coil, the old wrapper was a bit manky

Attachments

• IMG_3202.jpeg
    IMG_3202.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3198.jpeg
    IMG_3198.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 23
Yes. The last minute of the opening of the EoS will maximise the power. Adjust it so that it opens sooner, then you’ll have less power.

The original also looks like it’s been set so that it doesn’t sit at rest. So the length of stroke is reduced.

Thanks. Is it typical that a flipper would be set so that it doesn't rest against the rubber stop? I guess that would affect the max angle of the flipper?

Will try regapping the EOS to open sooner.

However, it is good to remember this configuration if you want to add some big iron clangers to some flippers that you think could use a bit more zip...

Be very afraid of how I set up certain games.

Of course, realise that you're trading lifespan of the coil, electronics and whatever poor things that you're walloping with your new angry flippers. Judgement calls.

EDIT: I mean the EOS switch adjustment. Not having the assembly come to rest against the stop probably makes wear and tear even worse, but (almost) more importantly you're changing how the flipper plays.

I adjusted the EOS very slightly, and now it seems to be better. It still travels around the loop like it's the Hadron Collider, but that's rather fun :) It doesn't (or hasn't yet) flown out of the loop completely yet.

Have left the flipper installed as resting against the rubber stop instead of how it was originally. That has slighty changed the dynamics of the game, it's easier to get the Rudy mouth shot now than the trap door loop, but I think that's just recalibrating muscle memory.

I need that flipper for Taxi. Even with the strongest coil and brand new parts it struggles to make the left ramp!

Back
Top Bottom